PDA

View Full Version : How much cover do you really need?

philintheblank
12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I have watched quite a few predatore videos and have noticed that a lot of guys dont really hunt in areas with trees or even bushes, they just hunker down by a knoll and start calling.

i have always felt naked if i dont have a tree or even a fence post to lean against when i am calling, which can really hinder where i can setup. i just can't bring myself to sit in the middle of a field and start calling.

just wondering what you guys do for cover or what do you look for when setting up in areas with less foilage to hide by.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
If I do call out in the open I will usually try to lay down if the snow isn't too deep. I agree I like having some cover near or around me.

LC

grinr
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Staying statue still is more important than cover or what brand of camo you wear.I seen a vid of a famous old pred caller,Gerry Blair iiirc(?),sitting in the wide open Arizona desert calling yotes in a Santa suit....no chit.
Personally speaking,I've stood in the back of my work truck leaning on the cab and lip squeaked a yote in to 5 yards from 400 yards up a pipeline right of way.He near turned inside out scrambling to get outta there when I yelled BANG!! :p

coyotekiller
12-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Staying still is very important, cover can help you to. Aslong as you stay still you should be ok

Bigwoodsman
12-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Staying statue still is more important than cover or what brand of camo you wear.I seen a vid of a famous old pred caller,Gerry Blair iiirc(?),sitting in the wide open Arizona desert calling yotes in a Santa suit....no chit.
Personally speaking,I've stood in the back of my work truck leaning on the cab and lip squeaked a yote in to 5 yards from 400 yards up a pipeline right of way.He near turned inside out scrambling to get outta there when I yelled BANG!! :p

I've done this in the past and it is a lot of fun to do. They will turn themselves inside out trying to get away when they figure out what is going on.

BW

pikergolf
12-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I always at minimum, make sure the sun is not in my face and I'm not skyline or ridgelined. I will do better if I can, but I have been sitting wide open on a hill side and on two occasions have had coyotes inside of 10ft, the once there was more than three, not positive how many as they came over the ridge behind us at a run. Always in camo, pretty freaking funny when they get that close and suddenly realize they've made an error.

Redfrog
12-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I stay out of the cover. If there is a fence line or bush, I set up 200 yards out in the open. Use a ghillie suit or lie prone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/CopyofP1010001.jpg