PDA

View Full Version : Group hunting laws

thirty-30
12-13-2012, 05:58 PM
OK, got into an argument over this with some debate.

Correct me if wrong:

In Alberta:

It is NOT illegal for two people to hunt togeather if they have the same tags. Jimmy and Sam both have moose tags so go togeather.

However:

If Jimmy has moose tags and Sammy does not, it is illegal for Sammy to participate in the hunt. Read: Be armed, since this violates group hunting laws as well as it being illegal for Sammy to fill Jimmy's tag for him.

It IS permissible however for Jimmy to tell Sammy he has a moose down, come help me gut it.

What happens if Sammy and Jimmy both have buffalo tags, but Sally and Marie want to come along? I assume this is not legal either, or is it permissible if they are not armed?

-B

sheephunter
12-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Alberta has no group hunting laws or laws regarding accompanying hunters that I'm aware of...what we do have is a very broad definition of hunting. It comes down to whether the person accompanying you is hunting or not and if so, are they authourized to hunt that species.

Speckle55
12-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Correct me if wrong:

In Alberta:

It is NOT illegal for two people to hunt togeather if they have the same tags. Jimmy and Sam both have moose tags so go togeather.

However:

If Jimmy has moose tags and Sammy does not, it is illegal for Sammy to participate in the hunt. Read: Be armed, since this violates group hunting laws as well as it being illegal for Sammy to fill Jimmy's tag for him.

It IS permissible however for Jimmy to tell Sammy he has a moose down, come help me gut it.

What happens if Sammy and Jimmy both have buffalo tags, but Sally and Marie want to come along? I assume this is not legal either, or is it permissible if they are not armed?

-B

Sammy can be a partner tag for 10 bucks

Dick284
12-13-2012, 06:14 PM
The broad and loosely defined definition of hunting, coupled with the rule about using someone else's tag, is what curtails or is supposed to curtail what you are talking about.
All be it I know many wives who draw moose, elk or what ever, who never have held a rifle or a bow, yet always seem to fill their tags....... Hmm, it's only big game it's not like bank robbery after all, c'mon who's out there to enforce it anyways. Partner licence or not!

TBark
12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Like Dick says, it likely goes on a lot.
Is kinda up to the integrity of the hunter / hunters.

TBark

Jordan Smith
12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Sammy, Sally, and Marie can certainly join in and carry a rifle, assuming they are legally hunting another species (they have WT tags that are valid in the same area, or they're armed in case they have an opportunity at a coyote or wolf, etc).

mxz1997
12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Sammy is hunting coyotes and wolves. No problem

covey ridge
12-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Like Dick says, it likely goes on a lot.
Is kinda up to the integrity of the hunter / hunters.

TBark

Sooo? Hmm? If it happens the way Dick insinuates,,,Hmm,,, is that integrity,honesty or is it illegal? Then if illegal Hmm is that OK cause many do it and it ain't bank robbery? If there is not always someone there to enforce it, Hmm does that make it OK?

MKD
12-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Correct me if wrong:

-B

As long as Sally & Marie are along and not actively hunting they are welcome to go for a walk in the woods. "Push Bush" They are hunting without a license even if they are unarmed.

MKD
12-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Partner hunting tags should be available for every species and tag.
The more the merrier.

elkhunter11
12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Partner hunting tags should be available for every species and tag.
The more the merrier.

And if partner tags were made available for the very desirable tags, such as goat and sheep, do you think that the number of applicants would suddenly increase substantially?:thinking-006:

sheephunter
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
And if partner tags were made available for the very desirable tags, such as goat and sheep, do you think that the number of applicants would suddenly increase substantially?:thinking-006:

I know quite a few people that could become sheep hunters....;)

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 07:42 PM
I know quite a few people that could become sheep hunters....;)

....well at the very least their Wives and Kids would....

LC :)