PDA

View Full Version : Yote calling dilema

GillieSuit
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Howdy folks, I was out callin yotes last weekend and encountered something I've yet to experience. On our fifth set up of the day I started the sequence off with a locator howl and the whole place blew up with answers. I even had a female come into 70 yards in the thickest crap you've ever seen and she was challenge howling the whole time. I tried pup in distress and whole bunch of other challenge howls etc and all that happened was a bunch of holwing back. None of the dogs came any closer.

Anyway just wondering what others do when this happens. Coyotes howl back, but don't seem to do anything else. I did try moving closer in and attempted some close quarters distress calls but the coyotes just sauntered up on a small rise and sat tight.

Thoughts, experiences, ideas what to try next time would be appreciated.

Regards,

smith88
12-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Keep trying different calls or wait them out. I am guessing that you couldn't see the coyote through the brush?

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 08:48 PM
You got busted...on their turf and they were telling you to hit the road. At this point the gig is up, they saw or smelled you.

LC

cjhouben
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM
If thats not bringing them in try a cotton tail distress usually works ( hand call that is ) works better than the recorded electric callers.
Good luck
call em in and lay em down

GillieSuit
12-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah that side of the slough was really thick cover and unfortunately the wind was bad if that doggie decided to circle. She would have hit our wind before coming into view.

Just a bad spot all around. I wasn't expecting a response from that side. The other ones were where I expected them to be, but they were hung up tight and didn't seem to want to come. I know these dogs are likely educated as this area seems to have alot of hunters with callers etc.

However, I just wonder if there are some other things to try.

krthegunslinger
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
You got busted...on their turf and they were telling you to hit the road. At this point the gig is up, they saw or smelled you.

LC

Lefty said it right. They knew you were there. BUSTED

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Simple....they busted you, and those are now some educated dogs that know all your sounds. :)

LC

GillieSuit
12-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Well if they weren't educated before, it sounds like they most certainly are now. However, I know where they hang out so I'll just pot shot them one by one at first light when they are on patrol. There are other ways to skin a cat. Thanks for the advice

Regards,

pikergolf
12-13-2012, 09:52 PM
If there is snow check your down wind, dollars to dounuts they were there at some point to check you out.

smith88
12-13-2012, 10:40 PM
I am not so sure that you were busted. Anytime I coyote has totally made me out, they go running very quickly in the opposite direction. You might have been on the "edge" of their territory and telling you not to come any closer.

gregc
12-13-2012, 11:52 PM
i've had that happen to me a few times as well. when they hang up like that, it's because they have winded/spotted you.

canishunter22-250
12-14-2012, 08:28 AM
When they hang up and start challenge howling like that, it's no longer a challenge howl - it's an alarm howl. If they feel safe where they are but know something's fishy, they will sit there for an hour and never shut up. Gets frustrating for sure.
If you can see them sitting out there, it's a good time to test your long shot ability because they're already educated anyways. There will be nothing more satisfying in a coyote hunt than tipping over an old boy in mid-alarm howl at 400 yards.

Salavee
12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
The Locator is not the best call to open with. If you know, or suspect there are Coyotes in a nearby area, don't use it. It puts the whole group on alert.

Jamie Black R/T
12-14-2012, 12:07 PM
The Locator is not the best call to open with. If you know, or suspect there are Coyotes in a nearby area, don't use it. It puts the whole group on alert.

ive opened with a lonesome locator hundreds of times and its usually my "go to" opener for a sequence.

there is a reason i keep using it....works like a hot damn

H380
12-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Simple....they busted you, and those are now some educated dogs that know all your sounds. :)

LC

I totally agree .. the best way to get em now is "pit in " .. Sneak into the area downwind with good visibility about an hour before dark and wait em out,, Don't call at all just wait til you see one or they start to howl , they know that game all ready . As soon as you get a good shot at one take it and hit the puppy in distress . Works like a dam.

GillieSuit
12-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas and advice. I'll be back on em in the new year. Headed east over the holidays and might not be able to do much hunting out that way.

grinr
12-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm curious how it is that you can determine that a coyote at 70 yards is a female,especially so in "the thickest crap you've ever seen"??So it was too thick to get a shot off,but not so thick that you couldn't see it's genitalia?? :confused: