PDA

View Full Version : Tonsil and saliva testing CWD

NIKON
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex
Talked to the biologist at Suffield when submitted my quota elk head and was told that they are looking at the tonsils too. They developed a method to be able to test CWD from tonsil biopsies and they comparing it against brain samples till they can declare it ready to use. Also they're working on another test which would require only saliva, the main vector CWD propagates from one animal to another. Was told that MD has the highest occurrence of CWD in Alberta, elk being the lowest, the rest falls in between.

This is interesting, if they could make a break through like this rather then the senseless slaughter of healthy deer......hmmmmm

Nikon

I wanted to move this post forward, not sure how close this may be but does anyone know? Thanks in advance
Nikon :)

sheephunter
12-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Not really sure how pratical live testing for CWD would be for wild cervids. It's not like you will get instant results from these tests if and when they become available. I can see the game farm guys being excited though.

NIKON
12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Not really sure how pratical live testing for CWD would be for wild cervids. It's not like you will get instant results from these tests if and when they become available. I can see the game farm guys being excited though.

If it wasn't an instant result , yah it would still be useless for wild deer and elk populations..... But would definently change the domesticated elk industry some what , atleast these animals could be tested before transported or sold with in Alberta