PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Pics - Tore up Doe!

Doo
12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi all

This is my second thread on this, but I wanted to finally put all the pictures together along with the latest one I got to give you all an idea of what this doe looked like from start to finish...

AMAZING!!!!!

Doo
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Here are 2 more pictures :)

bezner
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
its amazing to see how well nature takes care of its self and just how animals in general can heal themselves after a serious injury....thanks for posting

Marko
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
That is quite the sequence of pics! Thanks for sharing. Amazing how well they heal!

ishootbambi
12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
incredible pictures. thanks for sharing that.

Lefty-Canuck
12-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Crazy! Road rash from a car incident?

....or a X-bow hunter? LOL .....just kidding :)

LC

timsesink
12-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Wow, truly interesting set of pics. Maybe a car accident or maybe a wolf or coyote attack? However that large triangle wound sure is strange.

Doo
12-14-2012, 02:35 PM
The more I look at the pics - the more convinced I am that it was a cougar. Have a look at the 3rd picture you will see clear gouges on the other side of her body. Also there is no bruising or swelling from any type of impact (car) in the first couple of pictures where you can see it was freshly done. She clearly had a chunk taken out of her and whatever did it used a sharp object (teeth/ claws).

I am confident that I will never really know what happened, but a cougar is what I speculate :)...

Marko
12-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I am thinkin a car. Can't see a doe (with that much damage done to her), getting away from a cougar. But I'm just guessing

Zuludog
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
It's just incredible how tough these animals are. Thanks for sharing those pics.

chaser
12-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for sharing goes to show how tough these animals really are!

wbl170
12-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Great sequence! Mother nature is pretty incredible. Thx

fingershooter
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
That's pretty enlightening. Thanks for sharing.

HunterDave
12-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Incredible indeed! What amazes me is how how the deer avoided any infection in an open wound like that? :confused:

tyv12
12-14-2012, 04:01 PM
I hit a mule doe on the highway has a similar injury but that one didn't make it

Z7fulldraw
12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Has to b vehicle and I'm guessing she went right under and puncture wounds on other side are from maybe shock hangers.

Doo
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I like that but what about bruising from the impact of the hit?

There is no bruising or swelling at all that I see on her...

Has to b vehicle and I'm guessing she went right under and puncture wounds on other side are from maybe shock hangers.

Zanzibar
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
If that was a person with that much of an injury, it would take that long just to get the WCB claim going, and the lawyers would be lined up down the block to sue someone!

huntinstuff
12-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Ever notice if youve ripped your coat or pants on barbed wire, the tear looks like that?

medicmoose
12-14-2012, 05:45 PM
The deer has a heck of an avulsion for sure and some other wounds! It would be hard to believe that happened from a " car accident " as there would in my opinion broken bones and such. An avulsion happens when you tear the skin away from flesh the triangle pattern would have me believe it it was tore on something. Could have been farm machinery a granary or tangled in wire. IMO
Matt

honda450
12-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Wow. Would not think it would survive with a wound like that. Infection and all. Thanks for sharing.

ceedub
12-14-2012, 05:51 PM
That's quite the collection of pics, really cool. To me it looks like a wire injury, amazing what nature can do to heal. That's one tough doe, I hope she sees a few more seasons. Congrats on some really neat shots and thanks for the update.

-Craig

catnthehat
12-14-2012, 05:53 PM
That is simply amazing!!
Cat

deadeye
12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
It is truely amazing

Doo
12-15-2012, 12:16 PM
huntinstuff & medicmoose, I think you might be right on what caused it :)

Snm
12-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Amazing transformation!

st99
12-15-2012, 02:39 PM
wow those animals are tough !!!

KegRiver
12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Ever notice if youve ripped your coat or pants on barbed wire, the tear looks like that?

That would be my guess too.

Incredible no matter what caused it.

raveon
12-16-2012, 06:23 AM
I am not going to speculate on what caused the injury, but offer this. She should be protected for about 5 years, cause any little bucks the she gives birth too are going to be tough little buggers. Good future hunting potential.

4thredneck
12-16-2012, 07:02 AM
We had a horse with almost the same injury caused by barb wire.

cal33
12-16-2012, 07:22 AM
A few years ago, I woke up one morning and noticed deer tracks in the yard, maybe 5 yards from the house. When I went out to check them, I noticed blood and coyote tracks in hot pursuit. There was hair and a triangular shaped chunk of skin/hair about the same size as the piece missing from the deer in those photos. The tracks revealed that, for some reason, the coyote abandoned the chase and ran back into the bush. Couldn't figure out why, car coming or maybe just uncomfortable so close to house(doubt it). Followed the tracks for quite a while and the deer never broke stride or stumbled. It ran, non stop, farther than I cared to follow, which was far, swam a river at a very strong current, climbed an amazingly steep bank, which was covered with deep snow and booked it out of there! The bleeding was minimal but every time it broke through the snow, the bleeding would start again. Backtracking, I found where the coyote came upon the feeding deer an gave chase. Ice hindered the deer but allowed the coyote to gain and finally grab it. Often wondered how that deer made out. Now I have hope that it survived, although it was winter, a toughtime for sure. My guess in this case, because of the circular marks around the body, is she got hung up in a fence and the struggle caused severe damage at the main contact point, her right side. Thanks for sharing! One more point, the coyote didn't even bother with that chunk of flesh the deer left for it. Not good enough for it or did something scare it off?

Ultimate Predator
12-16-2012, 07:39 AM
One tough girl cool pics

Griswold
12-16-2012, 08:34 AM
The first picture shows a clump of meat and hide in the top right. To me that indicates that something hit it and gouged meat and hide. I am thinking car.

silver
12-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Is it possible she wasnt receptive and a buck thought she should be?

The Bit Runner.
12-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Great pics, thx for sharing!

Doo
12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I would never think of harvesting her in a million years, and I have yet to see her outside of pictures. I would however love to see her walk buy and see the kind of limp she is sporting - if any...

I am not going to speculate on what caused the injury, but offer this. She should be protected for about 5 years, cause any little bucks the she gives birth too are going to be tough little buggers. Good future hunting potential.

Doo
12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
not a chance - because the first pic gets captured in June...

Is it possible she wasnt receptive and a buck thought she should be?

Wolverine Boy
12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
That is amazing - thx for posting those.

Good thing for her that was June and not January!

megazoid
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I saw this poor girl twice this year. Look at her back leg.

waterninja
12-17-2012, 01:58 AM
what a recovery that girl made. in your position i might have been tempted to shoot her just to put her out of her suffering or call fish and wildlife. it would have been the wrong decision but i hate to see an animal suffer.
brings to mind that post about the 2 legged coyote that became a local legend.

pickrel pat
12-17-2012, 06:36 AM
typical of a marten attack. marten will pack up and hunt deer and moose. figured she would got infected, but she pulled through.....(marten have a toxic saliva).

209x50
12-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I seem to be gluing or stiching my bird dogs for similar wounds like this all the time. Barb wire is the cause on the dogs. Much smaller versions on the dogs than this deer but isn't nature incredible? Great pics! Thanks

Alberta Bigbore
12-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Lol!!

Great pix. I havent seen anything like that on my cams.

tikka300wsm
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Amazing to see how well she healed up in such a short amount of time. Thanks for sharing these pictures. Threads like this just reinforce what I've been saying for years- we hunters aren't these blood thirsty killers; we're the biggest wildlife appreciators out there.

Salavee
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
That's a lot of healing in 90 days.. Pretty Awesome. Great pic sequence as well. Thanks

jacenbeers
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
I remember when you initially posted the wound pictures many months back and have always wondered how she healed. I hope she gets to live a nice long life. She deserves it after surviving that.

raveon
12-17-2012, 09:26 PM
i agree, she is a survivor deserving many years. I meant the young bucks that she would have would provide great hunting.

I would never think of harvesting her in a million years, and I have yet to see her outside of pictures. I would however love to see her walk buy and see the kind of limp she is sporting - if any...

isaacoomber
12-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi all

This is my second thread on this, but I wanted to finally put all the pictures together along with the latest one I got to give you all an idea of what this doe looked like from start to finish...

AMAZING!!!!!

Wow!
nice pics.

waterton glacier national park (http://www.waterton.ca/waterton-glacier-peace-hike.cfm)

michelleclark
12-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Wow!
cool pics.Thanks for sharing.

http://www.welovekohsamui.com/things-to-do-on-kohsamui/activities/other-stuff/

Jimboy
12-24-2012, 03:17 AM

be m guess also

Pikebreath
12-24-2012, 03:53 AM
I'm going to throw this out,,, purely conjecture for what it's worth,,,, but she has no fawns with her. Could it be a coyote attack at the time of fawning?

I know coyotes usually attack the hind qtrs so the wound is in the wrong place for that,,, but the timing is about right. Maybe she was strong enough to be on her feet after birthing and injured herself trying to get away or defend her fawn?