PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Bows

tiger woods
12-14-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm in the market to buy a bow so I can practice over the off season and begin hunting with it next fall. I would like to buy quality equipment and am wondering what some of you more experienced archers suggest I use for a bow, shafts, trigger, broad heads, etc. I'm open to suggestions, as I'm yet to buy anything. Can't wait til next year already!

duffy4
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Funny you wouldn't post this on the Archery Discussion section. That is where people talk about bows a lot.:)

Most people will tell you what they use and why it is the best there is.

Rackmastr
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Funny you wouldn't post this on the Archery Discussion section. That is where people talk about bows a lot.:)

Most people will tell you what they use and why it is the best there is.

Funny this response wasn't posted in the general section...cause it generally doesn't have anything useful in it...

Your best bet IMO is to go to a reputable archery shop and get measured properly and then shoot a handful of bows to see what feels best to you. Some bows feel and perform better for people than others.

Lots of good brands out there though! New model year means you may get a deal on a 2012 model as well.

hunter1993ap
12-14-2012, 08:23 PM
i would think anything new and not a cheapy would be good. i have heard good things about elite bows, you should check them out. i shoot an old hoyt and am really happy with it, i would buy a new top of the line bow if i could afford it. its deffinately old technology but it still gets the job done.

tiger woods
12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Funny this response wasn't posted in the general section...cause it generally doesn't have a bit of info in it!

Your best bet IMO is to go to a reputable archery shop and get measured properly and then shoot a handful of bows to see what feels best to you. Some bows feel and perform better for people than others.

Lots of good brands out there though! New model year means you may get a deal on a 2012 model as well.

That seems logical enough. I plan on shooting it for several seasons so fit is a definite must.

8-12 sets of eyes at a time in the archery section vs. 150-200 in the hunting section. I also used the word 'hunting' in the subject line because my primary intent is to hunt although I will shoot targets to hone skills and I wanted other hunter's opinions. I appreciate the insightful response, Duffy.

Kurt505
12-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Bows are way more personal than a rifle. Anyone who has experience with archery tackle is going to tell you, go to a PRO shop, or ask for Lawrence at cabelas and try out as many different bows you can. With the speeds they are getting out of bows today I would suggest getting a 50-60lb bow to start with. Because of different cam and limb designs, along with different body types it's important to try a variety of bows to see which one suits your body best. Having a pro set you up will get you into a bow that is both your right draw length, and at a weight that you can accurately shoot with. Good luck and have fun!!!

Icefisher2885
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I personally like Mathews, but you really can't go wrong with any of the top name brands - Hoyt, bowtech, Mathews, list goes on. Any real bow shop will let you shoot everything thwu have so you can see what feels best to you. Do not buy without trying it first. As far as the rest of the gear, again, lots of options. Scott, tru ball, Carter all make great releases, but so do others. For hunting shafts, Easton axis are really tough to beat. Narrow diameter arrows penetrate better than fat ones. I use slick trick broadheads because I prefer fixed blade heads, and ST's fly as good as a mechanical. Mechanicals will be less fussy if you're form isn't great, but they can and do fail, just like anything else with moving parts. You're best bet is to hit a good bow shop and try everything you can get your hands on. Always try before you buy! Good luck and have fun!

Icefisher2885
12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
And for the love of god, and our entire success will hinge on this, have an experienced person fit your properly for draw length. 70% of archers use too long of a draw length, and that is fatal to developing pinpoint accuracy.