PDA

View Full Version : Is My Camera Illegal???

New Hunter Okotoks
12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
I am selling my Aqua VU MICRO and had a Member point out to me that this camera might be illegal.

I read the regs before and they read that it is illegal to use "Visible" lights; including those emitted by cameras.

This camera has 4 Infrared Lights that come on and off automatically as water conditions change; I can't turn them off. I have always thought that this was a legal camera since the lights are infrared. Infrared falls outside the spectrum of light that humans can see; it states this in the literature for the camera. What I don't know is if the IR lights fall outside what a fish can see.

I don't want to sell someone a device that is illegal to use in Alberta.

Thanks in Advance.

archercurt
12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, IR lights are not visible therefor they would not fall under the that category.

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 09:19 PM
The marcum color have a visible white light. The bw has a blue light. I will have to check the regs. But i want it to fish at night. And deeper depths where u need light. Can someone expand or discussed it with authorities before

Geezle
12-15-2012, 09:35 PM
The marcum color have a visible white light. The bw has a blue light. I will have to check the regs. But i want it to fish at night. And deeper depths where u need light. Can someone expand or discussed it with authorities before

Visible light = no go. Period.

As soon as it gets too dark to see with the cam, you may as well pack it up. You can still turn on the light to look around, but not while you have a line in the water.

It's been discussed on here several times before.

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Visible light = no go. Period.

As soon as it gets too dark to see with the cam, you may as well pack it up. You can still turn on the light to look around, but not while you have a line in the water.

It's been discussed on here several times before.

Okay sounds good. Camera with light at anytime in water with line down is instant fine

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Geezle. What camera system do u recommend

Jbone
12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I found at night there far to many little bugs in the water to see much at all, longer it's on the more bugs. I believe a flasher would be the way to go really.

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
One last thing. The regs state it is illegal to

Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.

This is a stretch but could one not attach a hook to his camera and using the exclusion below. Point his new second hook at his mainline.

Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

Ideally i would like an infrared camera light.

Geezle
12-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Geezle. What camera system do u recommend
I have a Marcum VS380

One last thing. The regs state it is illegal to

Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.

This is a stretch but could one not attach a hook to his camera and using the exclusion below. Point his new second hook at his mainline.

Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

Ideally i would like an infrared camera light.

Yes, it is a stretch. What happens if you get a big fish hitting the hook beneath the camera? Bring it up with the camera cable? Sounds like a good way to destroy the camera.

Also, turning on the light at night will light up any particulate floating around it the water, again reducing visibility dramatically unless you're in pristine water. I've tried turning on the lights on mine past dark at Wab, and you really can't see squat.

Kim473
12-16-2012, 04:01 PM
I find, with my cam, Turning the lights on any time in most alberta lakes is useless. Just brightens the bugs and particulate matter that you cant even see your hook. I use my cam with the lights off all the time. The lights in most lakes is useless. Might be ok in a clear water lake in the high mountains.