PDA

View Full Version : Blue fox "Strobe" spoons?

Cal
12-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I saw a bunch of these in a discount bin at Wallmart, they look like a Little Cleo rip off. I've had good luck with Little Cleos, especily through the ice, but I've had mixed results with buying cheap rip offs of any lure, just wondering if anyone has used them?

Wild&Free
12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Blue Fox isn't a cheap brand of lures. I've had good luck with the Pixie spoons they make.

FishingFrenzy
12-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Bluefox spoons are great!

Geezle
12-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Scoop 'em up! I've seen some *very* good results from Blue Fox spoons...especially pike on the big ones!

Cal
12-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Blue Fox isn't a cheap brand of lures. I've had good luck with the Pixie spoons they make.

Sorry, I guess I used the term "cheap rip off" as more of a figure of speach. When one brand makes a knock off of another brand's time proven design I tend to think of the knock off as a "cheap rip off." I'm sort of picky about my spoons, some brands work excelent while others that look nearly identical are junk. I guess at 97 cents a pop though I should just buy them and tell you guys how they work rather than worrying about purchasing somthing I wont like.

bwackwabbit
12-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I use the pixie spoons exclusively in open water season on Buffalo. They are dynamite for big girls!

The small blue silver spoons and spinners are great for rainbows.

I'd snatch up that bin if I were you.

Cheers.

Geezle
12-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I guess I used the term "cheap rip off" as more of a figure of speach. When one brand makes a knock off of another brand's time proven design I tend to think of the knock off as a "cheap rip off." I'm sort of picky about my spoons, some brands work excelent while others that look nearly identical are junk. I guess at 97 cents a pop though I should just buy them and tell you guys how they work rather than worrying about purchasing somthing I wont like.

$.97 a shot? Buy 'em all! :sHa_shakeshout:

Cal
12-15-2012, 06:55 PM
$.97 a shot? Buy 'em all! :sHa_shakeshout:

Ya, I already picked out all the Forage Minows, Frostees, and most of the Russian hooks. Guess I'll go back for another raid. Crazy because the same hooks are hanging on the racks at regular price.

Geezle
12-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Ya, I already picked out all the Forage Minows, Frostees, and most of the Russian hooks. Guess I'll go back for another raid. Crazy because the same hooks are hanging on the racks at regular price.

Russian Hooks huh? Looks like I'll have to check the local bins here...last year I scooped up a bunch of Mitzi Ditzi's, Flutter Hawks, and Tear Drops from Best Tackle...since they shut down about the only place you can find a lot of those hooks is the bargain bins now. Sounds like you hit a gold mine!

EZM
12-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Kinda like the Predatek plugs you find in the bargain bin at the fishing hole ......... they are absolutely awesome .......... run true, tuned according to series and more durable than a Rapala.

Cal
12-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Russian Hooks huh? Looks like I'll have to check the local bins here...last year I scooped up a bunch of Mitzi Ditzi's, Flutter Hawks, and Tear Drops from Best Tackle...since they shut down about the only place you can find a lot of those hooks is the bargain bins now. Sounds like you hit a gold mine!

Tragic news that Best shut down, I've been fishing the Russian hooks in various sizes through the ice since I was a kid, with good results on most species. I guess I should pick out the remaining Russians when I go back.

Logan
12-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't want to let the seceret out so Ill talk in code...but the Pixie spoon is really good tipped with a minnow for Shming cod.

CeeZee
12-16-2012, 07:26 AM
I bought 2 blue fox spoons quite a few years ago, but the one spoon caught a few jack and the paint was peeled off from the teeth, so I tried the other one and never had a bite but the paint was flaking off from the edges, so my experience wasn't good but sounds like others sure have had good luck with them.

Geezle
12-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Kinda like the Predatek plugs you find in the bargain bin at the fishing hole ......... they are absolutely awesome .......... run true, tuned according to series and more durable than a Rapala.

Interesting...never seen 'em but now I'll have to look!

Geezle
12-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Tragic news that Best shut down, I've been fishing the Russian hooks in various sizes through the ice since I was a kid, with good results on most species. I guess I should pick out the remaining Russians when I go back.

Apparently the business was run out of a garage...a couple years ago the old man passed away, and the family didn't want to continue with the business, so they shut down. Once whatever is on the shelves is gone, it's gone...so I've been scooping up any Best Tackle stuff any time I come across it.

Oddly enough, the Russians are one of my least used Best hooks...love the Flutter Hawks though!

Cal
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Apparently the business was run out of a garage...a couple years ago the old man passed away, and the family didn't want to continue with the business, so they shut down. Once whatever is on the shelves is gone, it's gone...so I've been scooping up any Best Tackle stuff any time I come across it.

Oddly enough, the Russians are one of my least used Best hooks...love the Flutter Hawks though!

I like the little ones for perch, the eyes in these lures are biger than most so they are easy to tie above a larger jigging lure, dropshot style, with a palomar knot. The bigger ones I use on a jigging tipup, tipped with a small minnow or perch eye, for walleye. It takes very little movement to make them do their thing so they work good for this.

NSRfishing
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
i love walmart discount bin the blaze lures the silver lipless rattling crank is good cheap lure for the NSR my best lure all i do is replace the trebles with a better hook http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYu7kzWzvaPudTkMbWTptlZ_LhKHP4n gbZ7Qs1v8CYdUkkwZn_ul-Ae676

Cal
12-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Well I went back and got all the Strobe spoons, I'll let you know how they work. Sombody scooped the rest of the Russian hooks but I found a few more Forage Minnows that I somehow missed the first time. Thanks for the input guys.

Good to know NSR, I bought a Blaze deep diver one time but I never had any luck with it. Just go's to show that knock offs can be hit and miss. Nice when they hit though eh? They used to sell realy cheap Lucky Strike spoons that didnt even come with a package, they just sort of hung on a rack. I hated the spoons, too light, rusted quickly, cheap hooks, twisted up your line if it wasnt moving at just the right speed.... but they had one pattern that was brass with several black stripes across it width wise. Despite the spoons being junk that color was dynamite for pike, I wish Len Thompson or Williams would make this pattern.