PDA

View Full Version : color or bw

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi. What to by color or black and white. Marcum.

Anyone using the new marcum units

DidsburyBowHunter
12-15-2012, 03:57 PM
I have the marcum 385 without colour, and its awesome!! in my opinion the colour versions are just more expensive for something you don't really need in your camera. colour is useless after a certain depth anyways. save your money and get the marcum 385. if you do have the extra money i guess it wouldn't really matter witch one you get.

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Does it work in sun. fish finders are better in the sun. Have u fished after dark on the light. How is that

huntsfurfish
12-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I have the Marcum 820 BW and 2 Marcum 825 color. Both excellent but I prefer the color. Both have the large screen(8"). I dont normally fish very deep so the color is good.

huntsfurfish
12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
The 2 825's are newer and are much better in the sun than the 820. When the sun goes down switch to HDS 5/sonar, or you have to use lights and some are illegal.

Wild&Free
12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
The 2 825's are newer and are much better in the sun than the 820. When the sun goes down switch to HDS 5/sonar, or you have to use lights and some are illegal.

lights not attached to your line are illegal, so I wonder if you were to use the camera like a downrigger and attach your line with a clip if that would make it legal to use the light on the camera?

bloopbloob
12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
lights not attached to your line are illegal, so I wonder if you were to use the camera like a downrigger and attach your line with a clip if that would make it legal to use the light on the camera?

The second it let your line go, it would become illegal...

Wild&Free
12-15-2012, 04:54 PM
The second it let your line go, it would become illegal...

that's what I thought. But wouldn't you then turn the light off to become legal again.

huntsfurfish
12-15-2012, 04:55 PM
I think we may need to lobby the powers that be about lights on cameras.:)

pelada trochu
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Just posted on another thread. Check it out. Hard water allows two lines so u are legal. But the way that reg reads. Any light in the water day or night is illegal. So using your camera during the day is illegal in my opinion unless u put a hook on it. Which i will do.

Back to the thread. Im overnight in ctown. Just bought the bw marcum at tfh today. So my thrill is diminishing. 379 for the camera and 70 for panner. 450 total. The 8" unit with temp color depth and direction output and panner is 779. Is it worth the extra 340. Or double more or less for that unit. I tested them in the shop and found better contrast on bw. But thats not in the water.

bwackwabbit
12-15-2012, 10:52 PM
I think you made the right call on the bw unit. Colour may be good at certain depths but based on light/water conditions you are at the mercy of the machine and mother nature as to when it will work.

With the bw unit you know what you are gonna get and can concentrate on catching what you see. Marcum cameras are all good even going back to the VS380 (which I own) so if the difference were $100 or less no brainer but for $300+ I say Meh...

Congrats and enjoy!

Cheers.

DidsburyBowHunter
12-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Just posted on another thread. Check it out. Hard water allows two lines so u are legal. But the way that reg reads. Any light in the water day or night is illegal. So using your camera during the day is illegal in my opinion unless u put a hook on it. Which i will do.

its not illegal if you have your lights turned off. just if there on. your camera has a light on/off switch

pelada trochu
12-16-2012, 12:45 AM
its not illegal if you have your lights turned off. just if there on. your camera has a light on/off switch

I would think a light is a light is a light. Use at any time is prohibited.

Now in common sense. I would have to ask the co Luckily the markum has a completely separate light so i could easily cover it to prove im not using it. But i really believe with a hook attached its being used for angling and is legal.

What i do find strange is why bother to specifically rule cameras with lights out? That looks like an add-on. Gotta wonder if they are going to be real hard nosed about it.

huntsfurfish
12-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Double post:)

huntsfurfish
12-16-2012, 06:02 AM

Back to the thread. Im overnight in ctown. Just bought the bw marcum at tfh today. So my thrill is diminishing. 379 for the camera and 70 for panner. 450 total. The 8" unit with temp color depth and direction output and panner is 779. Is it worth the extra 340. Or double more or less for that unit. I tested them in the shop and found better contrast on bw. But thats not in the water.

Yes it is worth the extra. Better camera Super HAD 2. Better in lower light conditions. Bigger and better screen. The 825 is color or BW. Better viewing in sunlight.

huntsfurfish
12-16-2012, 06:10 AM
I believe the intent was for lamplighting/where you hang a light over the water to attract fish/bugs/food. Cameras should be different. Also, it was I believe, regular white light that was unlawful. UV lights should not follow? At any rate, the lights on cameras the intent is visibility not attracting fish so should be allowed. Lobby for a change.

Kim473
12-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I find that the lights on the cam are just useless, light up the particulate matter in the water that you cant even see your hook. Thinking about just putting tape over my lights and be done. Get the color Marcum. One day I will. Go Top OTL.

pelada trochu
12-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes it is worth the extra. Better camera Super HAD 2. Better in lower ligxht conditions. Bigger and better screen. The 825 is color or BW. Better viewing in sunlight.

Thanks for your comment. However. Actually based on camera performance alone i have to say no. I disagree. The camera Appears to be the same on 825 as on. 385c. And my review of the 325c wasnt as good as bw. I did like the extra features on 825. Especially useful temperature sensor to find thermo cline. Then a depth readout to set your line counter with. I Feel i will be good with a nice res bw. I just wasnt sure what diff color made underwater since ive never been exposed to one.

Ill give it a try tonght and see what i find.

huntsfurfish
12-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks for your comment. However. Actually based on camera performance alone i have to say no. I disagree. The camera Appears to be the same on 825 as on. 385c. And my review of the 325c wasnt as good as bw. I did like the extra features on 825. Especially useful temperature sensor to find thermo cline. Then a depth readout to set your line counter with. I Feel i will be good with a nice res bw. I just wasnt sure what diff color made underwater since ive never been exposed to one.

Ill give it a try tonght and see what i find.

Not the same cameras they look the same but are different cameras. Like I said the 825 has the sony Super HAD II. However if you are happy with what you bought all is well.:)

happyfisher
12-16-2012, 08:40 PM
i just bought a fish tv7 and used first time.....when it gets dark it kinda sucks....but i now think im cool....

:bad_boys_20:

pelada trochu
12-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Well. I cut a hole and dropped the camera in.

Pitch black tonight. Saw nothing of course till i turned the light on. Then u could see. Need more time behind the wheel. But first impression is that camera can be fun. Flasher is definitely necessary for the run and gun.