PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing at Eagle Lake near Strathmore

ArcherAPA
12-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Anybody been ice fishing at Eagle Lake this year? Gonna take my boys out next weekend for there first time ever and want to give them some descent fishing. Thought about Eagle lake first, also thinking Burnstick by Caroline or Gull? What's everyone think?

1bigboomstick
12-15-2012, 08:02 PM
You'll likely have more action at Chesterslough. It's usually enough action to keep the kidlets entertained.

dwcmaverick
12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
I agree you can't go wrong fishing out front of the rip rap on the south end of the lake. I take the kids a few times every winter and you get pretty consistent pike action, nothing big but the kids have fun. Smelts on green or pink headed jigs with white or black curly tail seem to produce the best. I usually jig a spoon in one hole to attract the pike and the boys let their smelt dead drift just off the bottom with the odd slow lift 10 to 12 inches. You would typically get 8 to 10 on the ice in 3 hours of fishing, the pike limit is 3 over 63cm and I don't think we have 4 pike all winter that would push that so everything goes back down. It is a great place to take the kids and get the rod bent. Have a fun day out with the kids and Good Luck

fish99
12-16-2012, 10:49 AM
was out on eagle friday tryed all over the west side no bites, didnot see a fish on the camera all day, just lots of skuds.

Lornce
12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Eagle lake can be a hard fish if you don't know the spots. Chestermere is close so if they get cranky it's a quick run back home. My choice would be Burnstick, lots of small perch to keep em busy.

jts1
12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Have had luck on Eagle over by the tracks. If anyone would like locations just send me a PM can do up a quick little map for you

MitchR
12-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Have had luck on Eagle over by the tracks. If anyone would like locations just send me a PM can do up a quick little map for you

you cant get access where the big house is anymore (unless there is somewhere else?)

TROLLER
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
You talking about the house on the south side. you can still access by the nursery I hope.

I think the key to that lake is finding 20 FOW it's there but tough to locate for sure.

MitchyD
12-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Has anyone been out there to ice fish this year?? If so, do you know the ice thickness??

bogwalker
12-14-2013, 12:35 PM
14" is what I was told by a guy I work with who fishes it regularly. Heading there tomorrow as well

drhu22
12-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Years ago (late 80s/early 90s?) dad and I had a pretty good night trolling along the n side of the railway grade for walleye. We were using silver rapalas (dark br/black back), and stayed out til about midnight because they kept biting.

I wonder if they are still there...

MitchyD
12-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Cool I'll see ya there lol. Thanks guys. Did wicked there this summer. Got a few close to 6 pounds.

TROLLER
12-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Don't know any locals from Strathmore that fish it and if they do they never keep any.

Claim the water is so polluted from feedlots that the fish are tainted. Don't really know if this is true but I have never kept any fish from Eagle, I do know it gets a bad Blue Algea every year but do not know if that has anything to do with the fish.

Like to see a 6bs. walleye out of there. Most I have ever seen are somewhat stunted, like PCR.

MitchyD
12-14-2013, 05:06 PM
These were a couple that we caught. Got our limit in no time. I've eaten them before that blue algae outbreak this year and never had a problem. They were delicious. One day we got close to 80 walleye and 25 pike between the 3 of us. Couldn't keep em off. Had a bunch of double and triple headers. Ive had at least 3 days like that this summer

bogwalker
12-15-2013, 08:36 PM
My buddys boy landed a fatt 24" walleye out of 7' of water. Had about 6 keeper size pike plus a whole wack of big bites. Was a good day for the first go this season..

jacenbeers
12-16-2013, 10:01 AM
These were a couple that we caught. Got our limit in no time. I've eaten them before that blue algae outbreak this year and never had a problem. They were delicious. One day we got close to 80 walleye and 25 pike between the 3 of us. Couldn't keep em off. Had a bunch of double and triple headers. Ive had at least 3 days like that this summer

I think I saw you there yesterday. You borrowed my auger when your gas auger didnt work. How did you make out?

bogwalker
12-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I think I saw you there yesterday. You borrowed my auger when your gas auger didnt work. How did you make out?

Nope not my group.. we were the ones due south of the eagle lake nursery road with the rmk 700 sled..

jacenbeers
12-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Nope not my group.. we were the ones due south of the eagle lake nursery road with the rmk 700 sled..

I was referring to Mitchy. That is why I quoted his post. Sorry for the confusion.

bogwalker
12-16-2013, 01:13 PM
My mistake to begin with.. realized after I posted..lol

MitchyD
12-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah buddy that was me. Thanks again for letting use your auger. Gotta get mine fixed up before I head up to Upper K this weekend!

K born
12-16-2013, 10:35 PM
I've only fished there twice a few years ago with no success! The regs say that there are burbot in there, has anyone managed to pull one out or seen any on camera, and same with perch? I know lots of people have pulled pike and walleye out of there, but I've never heard of anyone pulling the other two! Answers are appreciated!

jacenbeers
12-17-2013, 07:54 AM
I dont think anybody has ever seen anything in there on camera. The water is brown and smells like cow turd. I put my cam in and then gave up trying to see anything.

Hemi44
12-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Hello fishermen , I'm heading out to eagle lake saturday the 21st never iced fished at eagle lake just wondering if anyone would like to share locations as I hear it is tough to fish in the winter. I have a new fish cam and would love any feed back about locations on the lake . Also are you able to drive a quad on the ice ?

jacenbeers
12-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Hello fishermen , I'm heading out to eagle lake saturday the 21st never iced fished at eagle lake just wondering if anyone would like to share locations as I hear it is tough to fish in the winter. I have a new fish cam and would love any feed back about locations on the lake . Also are you able to drive a quad on the ice ?

Yes you can drive a quad. You can go to any of the public launches to find fish. You may as well leave your camera at home because the water is perpetually brown and there is no visibility on camera.

TROLLER
12-19-2013, 10:27 AM
don't be in such a hurry to take your quad.

I was out the other day, and buried mine right up to the frame. Lucky for me I had a real long tow rope plus 100ft. of streach rope.

Hooked on with the 4x4 and had to jerk hard to pop it out.

I may give er another try tomorrow and will let you know if you can get on. I just most likely chose a bad angle to enter, should have gone right of the launch instead of left.

A snow machine had cut across the yard by the launch but did not think that was too good of an idea.

K born
12-19-2013, 12:50 PM
You may want to try down at the south end near the old train bridge, IF IT IS SAFE!!!!!!! I've heard that's a good place, haven't tried it myself as of yet, but whee I get a chance I will, so any news to report would be awesome! What are you planning on going for too?

Gust
12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
anybody see the vid of the folk up in Russia who drill to almost through,, then one guy is ready with a match and the other with a steel rod where he chips a small hole through the remaining ice as the other guy leans back and sticks a lit candle in?

fire in the hole from the methane,,, maybe try it on eagle and if it works it could act as a good fire starter when things get chilly.

The Russian vid is better, but this one will suffice,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa3M4ou3kvw

Hemi44
12-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info people that's great, now I can plan a little better, I hope to hook on too some walleye and pike, ill be sure to post when I get back. Cheers .

Gust
12-19-2013, 04:55 PM
this vid is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGSbaXQ32I

Hemi44
12-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Anyone going to eagle lake on saturday?

Hemi44
12-21-2013, 07:46 AM
So I'm at the lake but the camp round access is closed, is there another place to get access out here ? Any info would be much appreciated thanks

TROLLER
12-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Go back to the #1 and head south at the nursery turn off, Park at the T and walk on.

Even better yet head west on the highway and fish at Chestemere at least you will catch some fish.

goosefrabba
12-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Trollers is right about the access from #1 at the nursery. How much ice is out there now?

lesw
12-21-2013, 02:16 PM
14" water is very brown. disgusting actually.

TROLLER
12-21-2013, 03:44 PM
14" water is very brown. disgusting actually.

Might be something yet to the old timers telling me about the feedlots and dumping into Eagle.

I am not about to eat anything out of that lake for sure.:sign0176:

lesw
12-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Might be something yet to the old timers telling me about the feedlots and dumping into Eagle.

I am not about to eat anything out of that lake for sure.:sign0176:

yay I didn't catch nothing but I wasn't going to eat them. has it always been brown water

wmw9
12-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah the water is gross but you can sometimes land big walleye. Wouldn't eat one! Caught this one 2 springs ago, that was the last time I was there.

Access by the nursery, don't try and go to the SW side of the lake and drive on. Spent an entire day stuck there, looks like a road allowance, but right before the lake is a massive hole. The owner of the house who eventually pulled us out with his tractor said it's quite common for people to get stuck there