PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a 324 antlerless elk?

WillyOneStyle
12-16-2012, 09:25 AM
So I drew an antlerless elk tag for 324 this year and it expires on Dec. 20. I did almost all my deer hunting in this zone so I could search for elk sign, but have not found anything. I did find two experienced-looking hunters looking for elk sign though. I thought I had a cow calling back to me at the end of November, but I let out a bogus sounding call and she went silent. Fish and Wildlife has told me that they've not had a land owner complaint for elk in the area for about ten years and that the population is small.
So am appealing to the experts.

How small of a population are we talking about in 324?

Is it likely that a heard will move from the mountains into this zone?

Any advice for harvesting a cow elk in this zone?

Thank's ahead of time, AO forum

kaleh01
12-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Grew up in 324 at strachan and rarely ever see elk there the last 8-10 years. If your determined to take one I would suggest NW of the cow lake store. There used to be a decent herd that would winter on our land but this year was the first year for any elk sign at all on our property in years.

Really shouldn't be an cow draw here at all.

flygirrl
12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Try in behind Tay lake and swan lake area.

greywolf
12-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Try in behind Tay lake and swan lake area.

X2 ^^^^^^,

although there is not near the elk in that area like there was 6-8+ years ago.

snowman160
12-16-2012, 07:52 PM
my family has had a cabin on the tay river for over 50 yrs an ive been hunting there for 15 yrs..ive had a cow draw twice an both times never saw a cow or bull..they are there cause i see the sign when fishing that country.id agree with elk nw of cow lake area cause usually elk search easy food this time of yr an have heard that the guys that do kill em do it in the farm country..but drivin slow down the roads around swan lake an cutting fresh tracks an gettin on em is a good bet too..they are there,cant say alot but tracks dont lie so...

Gumbi
12-16-2012, 08:02 PM
pm sent

H380
12-16-2012, 08:36 PM
PM Sent