PDA

View Full Version : Costco walleye

italk2u
12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
The wife spotted some walleye in the freezer at the 50th St.-137 Ave. Costco today. Just over one kilogram of fillets for about 26 bucks. Four fillets in the package, same number i brought home from calling lake a couple months back...about the same weight and she says to me"you spent 40 bucks on gas, then food, then bait. It would've been cheaper to buy them!"
She doesn't fish, how can I make her understand????:angry3:

Sloughsharkjigger
12-16-2012, 02:49 PM
The wife spotted some walleye in the freezer at the 50th St.-137 Ave. Costco today. Just over one kilogram of fillets for about 26 bucks. Four fillets in the package, same number i brought home from calling lake a couple months back...about the same weight and she says to me"you spent 40 bucks on gas, then food, then bait. It would've been cheaper to buy them!"

Tell her the Costco walleye comes from XL foods :bad_boys_20:

huntsfurfish
12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

She probably wondering how she can make you understand too:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Wild&Free
12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
spend all your free time with here until she tells you to go fishing. be slightly annoying too.

Walleyemagnet
12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
$40 to go all the way to Calling and back? Your vehicle's easy on fuel then. $40 might get me to Athabasca. It would be much cheaper to just buy it at the supermarket but then I'd have to sell all my gear and then I'd be sad.

braxxtonn
12-16-2012, 03:30 PM
spend all your free time with here until she tells you to go fishing. be slightly annoying too.
sounds like you got it figured !! gonna have to try that !!:sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
12-16-2012, 03:33 PM

X3

all canadian
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Tell her the ones you caught are wild, naturally fed, full of good fish oils. The ones in the store are farm raised full of steroids.:happy0180:
If that doesn't work, just buy her something for $40 better yet give her $40.

208prov
12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
We sell out walleye for 3.50 per pound round, then we filleted them, We get approx 36-39% of the meat, Others in the area sell fillets for $12 per pound. Fresh fresh,

Wes_G
12-16-2012, 05:09 PM
26 bucks... thats more expensive then salmon!

blackonblackfx4
12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
It's pickerel/walleye on the label. I bought it once and it's definitely not walleye, it's like a pike.

Lefty-Canuck
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
It's pickerel/walleye on the label. I bought it once and it's definitely not walleye, it's like a pike.

The reason for that is because they had "Easterners" in charge of mislabelling it "Pickeral".....the funny thing is my Father is responsible for them labelling it correctly (somewhat....the word pickeral should not even be there at all). They left it labelled Pickeral/Walleye because there pricing and lebelling system is centralized, so the West and East can now know what it is. He got into it one time when he was working as a meat manager at Costco about correct labelling on products. It is walleye, make no mistake.

LC

Drewski Canuck
12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
The secret is in the underlying value. Tell her that its cheaper than going to a football game which you also enjoy, as you actually bring something back with you to share, other than football stories.

Alternative is this: How much do those shoes and purses really cost when you factor in the value of the many hours spent shopping for them, gas travelling around to look for them, and the lunches consumed during the shopping trip?

Make sure you are wearing a hockey helmet while you explain this "alternative value approach" to her. You will have a better chance of survival.

Drewski

Kokanee9
12-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Next time its -20 outside, explain that sometimes you just can't trade the benefits of something fresh for frozen sometimes.

After she is done arguing, go outside and bring in the flowers for her that you bought about 6 hrs earlier that day.

Case closed.

Safety D
12-17-2012, 08:26 AM
40 bucks? Cost me that just to start my truck and jet boat !!!!!

italk2u
12-17-2012, 09:07 AM
40 bucks? Cost me that just to start my truck and jet boat !!!!!
Buddy paid the other 40 bucks.

Gunfighter
12-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Sometimes no point to explain it.

Only the Dog understands my love of the motorcyle too :sHa_shakeshout:

Walleyes
12-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Tell her the ones you caught are wild, naturally fed, full of good fish oils. The ones in the store are farm raised full of steroids.:happy0180:
If that doesn't work, just buy her something for $40 better yet give her $40.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the walleye sold at Costco comes out of either Lake Athabasca or Lake Winnipeg either way they are wild fish. I am not aware of fish farms for Walleye..

To the OP,, just tell her its something you enjoy,, its not a cost issue its just one of those pleasure in life that you like to do..

Red Neck
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
We are all just asking for trouble bringing money into question:snapoutofit: I don't want to figure out how much cash it cost me to catch a fish I am going to put back in the water:thinking-006:this is why its call addiction:bad_boys_20:

Red Neck out:scared0018:

Pincherguy
12-17-2012, 10:56 AM
You can never get them to understand, don't even try. That being said
Why is it that someone can catch these fish commercialy when some fishermen need to apply for tags? I don't fish for them and I assume that they are probably not from this country, at least I hope they are not. Thats cause for a revelution of some sort.
PG

Wild&Free
12-17-2012, 11:00 AM
You can never get them to understand, don't even try. That being said
Why is it that someone can catch these fish commercialy when some fishermen need to apply for tags? I don't fish for them and I assume that they are probably not from this country, at least I hope they are not. Thats cause for a revelution of some sort.
PG

If forgieners were commercial fishing Canadian waters that would be grounds for revolution to me. Bad enough European fisherman still treck across the Atlantic to fish the international waters of the Great Banks for cod while Canadian fisherman are still restricted by a moratorium.

I don't think these commercially fished walleye are coming out of lakes that have a tag system in place, I could very well be mistaken on that fact but it seems illogical to limit recreational catch and not do anything against the commercial fisherman. I know Natives still net the lakes with tags however, but that is considered sustinance fishing, not commercial.

Pincherguy
12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
If forgieners were commercial fishing Canadian waters that would be grounds for revolution to me. Bad enough European fisherman still treck across the Atlantic to fish the international waters of the Great Banks for cod while Canadian fisherman are still restricted by a moratorium.

I don't think these commercially fished walleye are coming out of lakes that have a tag system in place, I could very well be mistaken on that fact but it seems illogical to limit recreational catch and not do anything against the commercial fisherman. I know Natives still net the lakes with tags however, but that is considered sustinance fishing, not commercial.

I agree with you, not right. Lets have a revolution anyway. LOLO:sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG

Wild&Free
12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree with you, not right. Lets have a revolution anyway. LOLO:sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG

Something needs to be done about Harper imo, but revolution isn't in the cards, yet.

Of course, stating that particular opinion in the heartland of conservatism probably wasn't the brightest move I've made. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Redfrog
12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
"Something needs to be done about Harper imo"

Like Wut?

Pincherguy
12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I am just joking, Harper killed the gun registry, did we forget that?

Wild&Free
12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
"Something needs to be done about Harper imo"

Like Wut?

You should look into the new legislation the Harper Gov't has introduced since they got a majority. That's about as far into a political debate as I'm going to get into on an outdoorsman forum. Though, with Harpers policies, we might not be enjoying the outdoors in a few more years.

MAC
12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
#1 Stress Relief: Ask most anglers why they enjoy spending time in the outdoors and you're likely to hear the word "freedom." Spending a day afield casting for trout on a cool mountain stream or bobber fishing for bluegills on a pond helps to release us from our highly stressful, everyday environment. Nothing brings on the sense of being alive and helps to rebuild our personal reserves like a day spent interacting with nature.
#2 Health Benefits: More than fifty percent of Americans are overweight. Being outside and being active helps to make you feel better and encourages a healthier way of life. Driving to your local grocery store and fast food restaurant might be convenient, but fishing can also help you burn those unwanted calories, increase the quality of your lifestyle, and add years to your life.
#3 Recreation: Having a bad day of fishing still beats a day in the office or tending to house chores. The most common reason you will find with people who like to fish is that it is simply fun, whether you enjoy trolling for stripers or outwitting a weary brook trout with a hand-tied fly that imitates an insect the size of a pin head.
#4 Self Fulfillment: Fishing offers you the chance to improve your self-esteem through respect for the environment, mastering outdoor skills and achieving personal goals. Fishing can also play an important role in ones personal and social development. Fishing is a lifetime skill and activity that can be enjoyed at any age. Just ask a youngster who reeled in their first fish how much fun fishing can be.
#5 Fishing for Food: Wild fish are low in fat and cholesterol and high in protein. In fact, the American Heart Association recommends a regular diet of fish. Besides it's a lot more challenging to catch that plate of fresh fish than to stroll endlessly down a supermarket aisle if you decide to keep your catch.

Just a few examples. These are cut from a top 10 list.
No one can argue the benefits of going outside and being active.
To put a price on that is hard to do.

MAC

208prov
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the walleye sold at Costco comes out of either Lake Athabasca or Lake Winnipeg either way they are wild fish. I am not aware of fish farms for Walleye..

To the OP,, just tell her its something you enjoy,, its not a cost issue its just one of those pleasure in life that you like to do..

Most of the fish comes from WEST BOUND, There is others but i know of west bound. They have the big markets tied up, They get the fish from alot of commercial fisherman in sask and manitoba, Different lakes,

Walleyes
12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Most of the fish comes from WEST BOUND, There is others but i know of west bound. They have the big markets tied up, They get the fish from alot of commercial fisherman in sask and manitoba, Different lakes,

Good to know,, Thx 208..

Like I said though they are wild fish..

sheephunter
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
The reason for that is because they had "Easterners" in charge of mislabelling it "Pickeral".....the funny thing is my Father is responsible for them labelling it correctly (somewhat....the word pickeral should not even be there at all). They left it labelled Pickeral/Walleye because there pricing and lebelling system is centralized, so the West and East can now know what it is. He got into it one time when he was working as a meat manager at Costco about correct labelling on products. It is walleye, make no mistake.

LC

If the fish came from Manitoba which is quite likely, they were likely sold to Costco as pickeral. That's what the commercial guys market walleye as........

Lefty-Canuck
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
If the fish came from Manitoba which is quite likely, they were likely sold to Costco as pickeral. That's what the commercial guys market walleye as........

Notice how I stated "Easterners"....(ie East of Alberta :)) You are likely right in that it probably comes from Lake Winnipeg or other Manitoban waterbody.....I will ask Dad to see where they get/got it from when he ran the meat dept. there.

That is why the label shows both names people use for the type of fish it is, so that no matter where it is sold in Canada they will know, it used to ONLY state pickeral.

LC

ZeeFishing
12-17-2012, 04:01 PM
my wife said the same thing to me, so I bought the walleye from costco and it was the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY we ended up throwing it out. the walleye you catch taste so good and you enjoy eating it because it is so fresh. The stuff at costco is mushy and stinky and it doesn’t cook right, we couldn’t even eat it. The wife now agrees that fresh caught fish can’t be compared to store bought, but she still doesn’t get why I have to go fishing if we only eat fish once or twice a year :angry3: I don’t think we can make them understand, just don’t waist your money on that costco walleye. the flowers from costco are a good deal and for some reason women like them and it makes them happy :confused: that’s something I’ll never understand

ak-71
12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
#1 Stress Relief: Ask most anglers why they enjoy spending time in the outdoors and you're likely to hear the word "freedom." Spending a day afield casting for trout on a cool mountain stream or bobber fishing for bluegills on a pond helps to release us from our highly stressful, everyday environment. Nothing brings on the sense of being alive and helps to rebuild our personal reserves like a day spent interacting with nature.
#2 Health Benefits: More than fifty percent of Americans are overweight. Being outside and being active helps to make you feel better and encourages a healthier way of life. Driving to your local grocery store and fast food restaurant might be convenient, but fishing can also help you burn those unwanted calories, increase the quality of your lifestyle, and add years to your life.
#3 Recreation: Having a bad day of fishing still beats a day in the office or tending to house chores. The most common reason you will find with people who like to fish is that it is simply fun, whether you enjoy trolling for stripers or outwitting a weary brook trout with a hand-tied fly that imitates an insect the size of a pin head.
#4 Self Fulfillment: Fishing offers you the chance to improve your self-esteem through respect for the environment, mastering outdoor skills and achieving personal goals. Fishing can also play an important role in ones personal and social development. Fishing is a lifetime skill and activity that can be enjoyed at any age. Just ask a youngster who reeled in their first fish how much fun fishing can be.
#5 Fishing for Food: Wild fish are low in fat and cholesterol and high in protein. In fact, the American Heart Association recommends a regular diet of fish. Besides it's a lot more challenging to catch that plate of fresh fish than to stroll endlessly down a supermarket aisle if you decide to keep your catch.

Just a few examples. These are cut from a top 10 list.
No one can argue the benefits of going outside and being active.
To put a price on that is hard to do.

MAC

My wife mentioned the effort vs fish thing after a bad trip I had last time. Not sure if I can use all of your reasons though:

#1 Stress Relief: "If I didn't know that fishing is so relaxing - I could've killed somebody" (stolen from somebody). That how I felt after my last pikeless trip.
#2 Health Benefits: Very good selling point. I just wish my aiching back and arms would heal soon enough to feel those benefits.
#3 Recreation: "Not tending to house chores" I can't use - I have strong self-preservation instinct
#4 Self Fulfillment: See #1
#5 Fishing for Food: "Besides it's a lot more challenging to catch that plate of fresh fish." I couldn't agree more :angry3:

But I will think of some reasons why I go fishing anyway, we addicts are good at that :).