PDA

View Full Version : Best coyote call

bigfro47
12-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Just wondering what the members think is the surefire coyote call???? Cannot afford a foxpro, and looking to spend under $60.00, any suggestions???

If any one would like to call/destroy coyotes during christmas or new years send me a PM. Live in the Ardrossan area and have permission on a few Quarters.

verminator
12-17-2012, 10:17 AM
I have many predator calls, Primos Little dog and hotdog, Quakerboy screamer and a bunch other calls including diaphragms, they all work great. But the ones I find that work the best are my Bugeling Bull Game Calls, the Dirty Dog Howler and the Distemper Predator Call, I find they sound the most realistic and easiest to use of all the calls I have. They are pretty cheap and well below your price range. If you google Bugeling Bull it should be in your top search results. Best of luck.

greylynx
12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
The more cheap ones the better.

How and the heavens did we ever get by in the days before Foxpro and the electric bunny?

I told a salesman at Cabalas we used to catch rabbits and stick a coat hanger through them in the old days. He was not quite sure if I was feeding him a line of bullxxxt or just some sick twisted customer.

Salavee
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=greylynx;1755141]The more cheap ones the better.

How and the heavens did we ever get by in the days before Foxpro and the electric bunny?

X2 for sure .. Good hand calls are stlll the most efficient, inexpensive, portable, dependable and versatile of them all. In most cases they are a lot easier to learn to operate than many of the e-callers. If more guys would try them I think they would soon see the merits of hand calls.

Big Lou
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
As far as a sure fire call, they just don't exist. I've enjoyed success with every call
I've purchased but nothing out there will bring in a coyote every time you wail on it. Personally, I prefer the Sceery Snowshoe for most areas although it lacks in volume for the windy days or trying to penetrate thick brush. I use a foxpro too but it isn't the answer all the time. Just get out there, play the wind and sound like something in a lot of pain and you'll have a furry face or two in your cross hairs.

Salavee
12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
That pretty much says it all Lou.

Redfrog
12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/calls006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/calls005.jpg

I like custom calls. easier to blow, they don't freeze up and very versatile. You can do coyote vocals or a wide range of distress sounds.

albertanhb
12-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I just got some custom calls from Kerry Carver coming and I hear that they are some of the best calls going. I will update you a little more on Wed as they just arrived and I haven't had a chance to test them yet. I also got one of Tony Tebbe calls comimg and it looks to be a real good call as well. Good sounds and easy to use. The best thing about both of the calls from these 2 fellas is they are very reasonably priced. They were cheaper than a ruffdawg call. Any way once I get a chance to evaluate how they do in the field I will post a little more info and a few pictures. I have had good luck with the Primos Howler and Lil dog , I have tried the predator quest calls and I have only had limited success with them.

bigfro47
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I have not been out to cabelas yet, are these available there?? I will check on line and check them out, keep me posted in which ones are the best.

Ennyindabenny
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Called one in with a carver call yesterday. I used the closed reed cocobolo voiced in cottontail. www.carverpredatorcalls.com

Salavee
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a couple of Dan Thompsons for sale. www.danthompsongamecalls.com

pikergolf
12-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Primos lil dog set is pretty versitile, I had the hot dog but lost the tone board that was a favorite. I'd stick to open tone boards, practice lots in the tub. You can make a crazy amount of sounds if you practice a lot with an open tone board.

manitoban
12-23-2012, 11:01 AM

I like custom calls. easier to blow, they don't freeze up and very versatile. You can do coyote vocals or a wide range of distress sounds.

I LOVE the calls from REDFROG. The sound is so crisp and the range is great. The cool factor also goes up because you cant just go to Cabelas and pick em up. PM Redfrog for more details

Dog hunter
12-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I used a Johnny Stewart last year got 12 Yotes probably 8-10 missed opportunities even had some wolves howling at me one evening this call was 50$,I wanted more volume and remote range so I bought the fox pro wildfire 2 ,it works well and has more options and sounds that aren't really necessary try that Johnny Stewart max volume puppy cry if they can hear it they will come it brought 3 out in a full on attack after 10 minutes of calling,one actually jumped at the call hanging in a willow so I shot it,got another doing a look back at 200 and the third lived to warn the others try not to let that happen.haha

trapshooter
12-28-2012, 12:55 AM
I really like using this one:

http://www.downwindoutdoors.com/shopping/calls/dwo-signature-series.html

Watch some of there videos and you will see!

bigfro47
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey all,
I purchased an open reed call from redfrog and just recieved it yesterday. I headed out at 10:00am this morning and ventured out east of my place. I picked a spot with a small spruce tree and a few 3' willows to sit behind. I dug out almost 2' of snow and settled in behind the small spruce. The wind was at my face so any animals coming from the west couldn't smell me at all. I watched a couple of youtube open reed call videos last night and drove my wife and four small children crazy.Anyway, I leaned up my gun on the spruce and proceeded to do my best rabbit distress call I could muster. I couldn't believe it !!!! Within 2 minutes of calling a male coyote was running down hill full tilt directly to me. I scrambled to get ready and steadied my 300win mag on the spruce. He stopped running about 50yrds from where I was sitting, and my gun bucked. My 155grain bullet when through his chest, and upon skinning him rested just outside his hind leg, just inside the hide. What an awesome start to my coyote calling. Thanks for all the info from all the AO members, and I'll start my coyote call collecting for the upcoming years.:sHa_shakeshout:

Homesteader
12-29-2012, 07:18 PM
I scrambled to get ready and steadied my 300win mag on the spruce. He stopped running about 50yrds from where I was sitting, and my gun bucked. My 155grain bullet when through his chest, and upon skinning him rested just outside his hind leg, just inside the hide. What an awesome start to my coyote calling. Thanks for all the info from all the AO members, and I'll start my coyote call collecting for the upcoming years.:sHa_shakeshout:

Good job!

On a side note its hard to believe a 300 mag didn't exit. May have to step er up to 375 these doggies are getting tougher.

Redfrog
12-29-2012, 11:15 PM
WOOHOO! that's puttin' the smack down on 'em.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Ranch11
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
60 bucks is gonna get you a pretty nice hand call. I'd spend the money on a good howler, like the primos hotdog and then a quality open reed call. I find them more versatile than a closed reed. The sceery calls are nice but expensive, and are closed reed.
Head to callingallcoyotes.com and spend away!

pikeslayer22
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Didn't know it until now but I think I have a variety of calls that look like Redfrogs! The ones I have work excellent...purchased them at a gun show I think.

Redfrog
12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
:)likely got them from me at the gunshow.:sHa_shakeshout:

roger
12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
yote calls are much the same as pick-up lines on wimmen..what works on one may not nescarily work on the next.

pikeslayer22
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
:)likely got them from me at the gunshow.:sHa_shakeshout:
Picked them up a gun show at Tofield a few years back Redfrog.

Snowdog
12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
lots of Iphone apps with calls

Grizzly Adams
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
The more cheap ones the better.

I told a salesman at Cabalas we used to catch rabbits and stick a coat hanger through them in the old days. He was not quite sure if I was feeding him a line of bullxxxt or just some sick twisted customer.

Absolutely. Good rabbit call should cost well under 20. Seems to be a very poor selection of predator calls in stores these days though . Lost my cottontail call and have hit the usual sources without luck. :confused:

tool
12-31-2012, 07:21 AM
lots of Iphone apps with calls

How could you possibly get enough volume to be effective with an iphone?

coyote_man
12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Im kind of surprised to not see anyone recomend the Sceery howler or Haydels open reed rabbit call. This combo helped killed a fair number of coyotes for me before ecallers and they are still doing the job today.

badgerman1995
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Primos lil dog set is pretty versitile, I had the hot dog but lost the tone board that was a favorite. I'd stick to open tone boards, practice lots in the tub. You can make a crazy amount of sounds if you practice a lot with an open tone board.

X2
Got the primos lil dog for my first call. Got a foxpro now but it's still my favorite all around mouth call.