PDA

View Full Version : Cooking your Lake Whitefish

Speckle55
12-16-2012, 05:41 PM
how do you cook your Lake Whitefish or do you just smoke .. i use Corn flake crumbs and Lowry Salt in bag and bread and fry .. my buddy does a Cajun and regular mix and fry.. any way you do its mmmmm good

also i do a gutless method but still have one row to cut out on the bigger whites

ps the fish bodys go to the local Trappers or Asian locals

David:)

Guitarplayingfish
12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I recently did boneless fillets and fried it in beer batter... it turned out surprisingly well!! I will definitely be doing it again.

Lefty-Canuck
12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
There are no Whitefish in Cooking Lake :)

LC

Speckle55
12-16-2012, 05:53 PM
There are no Whitefish in Cooking Lake :)

LC

lmao i changed the post LC thanks

buckmaster
12-16-2012, 08:33 PM
how do you cook your Lake Whitefish or do you just smoke .. i use Corn flake crumbs and Lowry Salt in bag and bread and fry .. my buddy does a Cajun and regular mix and fry.. any way you do its mmmmm good

also i do a gutless method but still have one row to cut out on the bigger whites

same way i cook mine. Do you use lard or butter ?

Mike_W
12-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Pretty much the same way. I wanna try making fish cakes!!
Why do you do the gut less? I think you are wasting quite a bit of meat and looks like you need a sharper knife!!
Whites are messy to clean scales everywhere .... What's with the skin left on ?

buckmaster
12-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Why do you do the gut less? I think you are wasting quite a bit of meat and looks like you need a sharper knife!!

Hey mike, abb claims that he makes the best fish cakes:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Speckle55
12-17-2012, 12:00 AM

most of the meat left is in the gut area which is very little on smaller Whites like these and the gut area is where the muddy taste is/also very quick and easy /no mess// also sometimes your right i screwup... lmao ,man that was hard to say ;;;

on most fillets you should leave skin(law) as you do when transporting fish home till you eat it ... it just helps me id what i am going to cook

BEL
12-17-2012, 12:28 AM
my wife's homemade killer tartar sauce on top of the fillets or baking the same way with a sauce made with mustard, mayo and lemon juice. BEL

BeeGuy
12-17-2012, 12:39 AM
most of the meat left is in the gut area which is very little on smaller Whites like these and the gut area is where the muddy taste is/also very quick and easy /no mess// also sometimes your right i screwup... lmao ,man that was hard to say ;;;

on most fillets you should leave skin(law) as you do when transporting fish home till you eat it ... it just helps me id what i am going to cook

I've never noticed belly meat to taste any differently than the rest.

Will have to do a taste test.

BPman
12-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Take out the Y bones so the fillet is boneless. Dip the pieces in a mixture of egg and milk then shake each piece in a plastic bag with crumbs made from crushed Christies' saltine crackers (same process for walleyes). Fry in butter until golden brown... Geez, I'm drooling just writing this...

Mike_W
12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Do you need to leave skin on a fish once it's home? I thought once it was at your residence it didn't need to be and to ID the fish from a freezer I use sharpie pens!!

FYI for those that don't know the y bones on a white aren't like a walleye or perch where they pretty much run at a 90 degree angle to the blood line they are in the upper portion of the fillet and run at 45 degree angle.

Cheers,
Mike

BlackHeart
12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I scale and gut them, then into the freezer. Takes me 5 minutes a fish max.

I think they retain a better flavour with the skin left on. When ready to cook, fillet the sides off, then a thin slice down the top and bottom of the Y bone area, which wastes only a thin sliver of fish.

We cook with the skin....tasty.

One way that everyone likes is lots of spice (bk pepper, white pepper, cayenne, thyme) with small amount of flour. Pat fish dry, dump in flour mixture, fry in butter. Leaves it very tasty but not greasy or not coated in fat. Is a good way where your feeling like eating clean/lean.

But still looking for I a worthwhile whitefish cake recipe...too many use potato filler..blauh.

huntin'fool
12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
I scale and gut them, then into the freezer. Takes me 5 minutes a fish max.

I think they retain a better flavour with the skin left on. When ready to cook, fillet the sides off, then a thin slice down the top and bottom of the Y bone area, which wastes only a thin sliver of fish.

We cook with the skin....tasty.

One way that everyone likes is lots of spice (bk pepper, white pepper, cayenne, thyme) with small amount of flour. Pat fish dry, dump in flour mixture, fry in butter. Leaves it very tasty but not greasy or not coated in fat. Is a good way where your feeling like eating clean/lean.

But still looking for I a worthwhile whitefish cake recipe...too many use potato filler..blauh.

Blackheart, your wish is my command. I dare you to try these and not like them. Dip them in spicy soy sauce or hot sauce. Unreal!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD37r3zxyI4

BlackHeart
12-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Blackheart, your wish is my command. I dare you to try these and not like them. Dip them in spicy soy sauce or hot sauce. Unreal!!!

Ok I'll try it and report back in a few days

pikergolf
12-18-2012, 11:59 PM
If you slice off that red band along the lateral line on the outside of the fillet it will remove all the fishy taste from the fish. It's less than a 32nd thick so a sharp knife really helps. If you doubt it, when you eat the fish have a little of just that band, euhhhhh.... cod liver oil.

BlackHeart
12-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Tried it. Not bad, but I'm looking for something with less filler n more fish prominent taste.

Thanks for your reply/post....I appreciated it.

Alberta Bigbore
12-26-2012, 08:25 PM
fillet them, boil with skin on. Peel skin away and flake the meat from the bones.. mix in with mashed potatoes and form patties...fry in oil... put on burger buns with onions that have been soaking in vinegar for hafl a day, lettuce and tartar sauce. yum