PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hunting permission next year

djbencsik
12-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to hunting this year. I Bagged my first doe this year out by smokey lake and must say I Can't wait to do it again next year. I Live in Leduc, and am looking for a few places I can hunt a little closer to home. I would be willing to trade labour, or even hunt coyotes in exchange for permission to hunt deer next year.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Lefty-Canuck
12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
.....and in 3....2....1.....

LC :)

deepfried
12-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Here we go again boys and girls :party0052:

flygirrl
12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
:sSig_welcome2::sSig_welcome2::sSig_welcome2::sSig _welcome2::sSig_welcome2::sSig_welcome2:.....and in 3....2....1.....

LC :)

Can't find the pop corn, ah well choke on it anyway........WELCOME

IR_mike
12-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to hunting this year. I Bagged my first doe this year out by smokey lake and must say I Can't wait to do it again next year. I Live in Leduc, and am looking for a few places I can hunt a little closer to home. I would be willing to trade labour, or even hunt coyotes in exchange for permission to hunt deer next year.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I think you will have better luck going to the areas you want to hunt and meeting the land owners face to face.

The offer to trade labor is technicly illegal in Alberta as well and it sets a bad precedent.......your asking for land access not a job.

I know of one board member that tried that with a local landowner and was denied permission after the fact as the landowner super douched on him and gave permission to another "service" provider.

Go out yote hunting and after makeing a good impression with people who grant access then inquire about big game.

Good luck and welcome to the wacky world of AO. :budo::sHa_shakeshout:

Zip
12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I think you will have better luck going to the areas you want to hunt and meeting the land owners face to face.

The offer to trade labor is technicly illegal in Alberta as well and it sets a bad precedent.......your asking for land access not a job.

I know of one board member that tried that with a local landowner and was denied permission after the fact as the landowner super douched on him and gave permission to another "service" provider.

Go out yote hunting and after makeing a good impression with people who grant access then inquire about big game.

Good luck and welcome to the wacky world of AO. :budo::sHa_shakeshout:

Good post IR_mike...very well said indeed.

jryley
12-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I will say at least the OP is making an effort. Ive found new hunters, an more specifically young hunters are scared to s#%t to walk up to someone home and ask permission from a complete stranger. So i actually give kudos for the effort.

djbencsik
12-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Although i'm not a young hunter i am new and had no idea where to begin. What your saying is id have better luck asking permission to hut yotes. And the big game will come later.

rottie
12-17-2012, 09:30 AM
From Leduc you arent that far from crown land out by Alder flats / Buck lake countrty. Do some coyote hunting this winter to learn the land and use that as a early pre season scouting trip. A county map will tell you who owns what,and what is crown

Pincherguy
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Asking premission to hunt is like asking a girl to dance. They either say yes or no. At least when asking a girl to dance and she says no, you can always say." sorry I was talking to your friend ":sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG

Pincherguy
12-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Asking premission to hunt is like asking a girl to dance. They either say yes or no. At least when asking a girl to dance and she says no, you can always say." sorry I was talking to your friend ":sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG

IR_mike
12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Although i'm not a young hunter i am new and had no idea where to begin. What your saying is id have better luck asking permission to hut yotes. And the big game will come later.

No you will have better luck asking face to face for anything......yotes or deer.

This seasons yotes will be a introduction.

The crown land suggestion is a good idea as well.

airbornedeerhunter
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks in advance

Dave

You need to go door knocking my friend, worst they can say is no. This is'nt really the way to obtain permission, nor is offering labour for hunting access. We've all been there, when I found the hunting area I really wanted into, I knocked on every farmers door in the area, most said yes, a couple were hunters themselves and were hunting the area so they politely turned me down. The result was 15 years of amazing deer hunting on private property. Go knock on doors, avoid early mornings or meal hour knocks, be polite, shake their hand, mind your P's & Q's, and be friendly. Don't wait until next fall either, start in the spring or early summer. Nothing ticks off landowners more than every yahoo banging on their door 8am on a Saturday in mid November asking for permission. Good luck.

PS

You need to go back and re-obtain permission every year, just because a guy says yes one year does'nt give you unlimited access for the rest of your life.

Doodle30
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I will say at least the OP is making an effort. Ive found new hunters, an more specifically young hunters are scared to s#%t to walk up to someone home and ask permission from a complete stranger. So i actually give kudos for the effort.

If this is truely the case then it's time to man-up, mommy is not cutting the crust off their sandwiches anymore.

kidd
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Yup, knocking on doors is the ticket, but watch out for the Sheppard hiding in almost every farmyard it seems! Ouch. It gets interesting sometimes, lol.
Good luck next fall.
kidd

C & C
12-17-2012, 05:10 PM

I understand where you are coming from but could you imagine being a new or young hunter, reading some of the landowner/hunting debates on here and not be timid about asking permission. There are many post on here where people want to shoot first ask questions later so it might be a little intimidating. I know I won’t have my wife with me this summer when I seek permission in a couple areas, don’t need some guy in a bad mood that need to threaten someone to feel better.

For the OP, I don’t personally hunt much private land but I do goose hunt on my brother in-laws fathers land. I chatted with him about permission and his tips to me where:
Don’t be the guy driving mock 10 around the property in the summer creating a ton of dust while checking out the land.
Make a good first impression, be clean and dress clean. He also said this isn’t dress clothes but try to avoid camo and jeans with tons of holes in them.
Be prepared, have your info ready if it’s requested. Also a small pad of paper and a pen in case the landowner has some instructions for you.
Most of the other points he talked about were mentioned above.

mhd
12-18-2012, 12:20 AM
PS

You need to go back and re-obtain permission every year, just because a guy says yes one year does'nt give you unlimited access for the rest of your life.

X2

TBark
12-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Yes,
Asking a gal to dance is like asking for hunting permission,
Last time I did each....
They both wanted money, ha.

TBark

jryley
12-18-2012, 11:48 PM
If this is truely the case then it's time to man-up, mommy is not cutting the crust off their sandwiches anymore.

I agree! I never said coddle newbies did I? I made the point that at least hes trying. Fact of the matter is, ive found anyways, theres a certain way to do it....and most new guys ive seen fail. God forbid their first encounter is with the one guy in the county that hates his life and the people from 'society'. We've all been there

Biggyt1973
12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Hell your in some of the best hunting country within minutes of leduc, go east towards rollyview, south towards millet wetaskiwn, or west towards calmar, most farmers are pretty good, like most have said here worst they can say is sorry no.....or warm up the shotgun and hunt right around leduc area...

Biggyt1973
12-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Hell your in some of the best hunting country within minutes of leduc, go east towards rollyview, south towards millet wetaskiwn, or west towards calmar, most farmers are pretty good, like most have said here worst they can say is sorry no.....or warm up the shotgun and hunt right around leduc area...