PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermist in Edmonton Area Help?!?

Guntash
12-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Hey guys so i took a nice whitetail and mulie buck this season and was looking to get shoulder mounts done for both of them. I was wondering who you would suggest to take them to that is with 100km or so of Edmonton? Thanks

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o671/Guntash67/ttmulie_zps56b2b8f5.png

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o671/Guntash67/ttbuck1.jpg

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o671/Guntash67/ttwhite_zpsbdb447fb.png

Bobby B.
12-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Brian Dobson of Artistic is one of the very best for game heads. He did all my african heads and I'm more than happy with his work.

Bobby B.

cougar bait
12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Artistic taxidermy, the best by far!!!

338ultra
12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
x2 brian is your only choice IMO

cds
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Brian Starkovich of Starkys Taxidremy is great.

buckbrushoutdoors
12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Brian Starkovich of Starkys Taxidremy is great.

He's probably the worst I've ever seen. If your into bug eyes mounts and uneven capes cool but He doesn't even compare to artistic or advantage or sugar creek

Elk Hunter17
12-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I got 4 animals at artistic right now. He does awesome work

airbornedeerhunter
12-17-2012, 12:15 PM
He's probably the worst I've ever seen. If your into bug eyes mounts and uneven capes cool but He doesn't even compare to artistic or advantage or sugar creek

Really? Brian has done the majority of my mounts for me and I find his work to be excellent. I've used some of the other big name taxidermists in the Edmonton region and the work is comparable. If he's so bad explain why his shop is full all the time with mainly repeat customers like myself. I know quality game mounts and his work, particularly shoulder mounts, is among the best in Alberta.

buckbrushoutdoors
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess I'm just more picky in detail than others. I'd like to be proven wrong, maybe post up a picture of some of his work?

The Fisherman Guy
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Marco at Sugar Creek Taxidermy is the best in the business!

Not just my opinion, he has the awards and notoriety to prove it!
Give him a call and get inside his studio, you will soon discover that his reputation is accurate, if not understated. His work is incredible, and he is a very trustworthy and punctual fellow.

There's a reason why Cody Robbins trusts Marco to produce his world record Mule Deer full body mount; because there just isn't anyone who's talent compares to what Marco is capable of.

http://www.sugarcreektaxidermy.ca/

403-346-5617

buckbrushoutdoors
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Marco at Sugar Creek Taxidermy is the best in the business!

Not just my opinion, he has the awards and notoriety to prove it!
Give him a call and get inside his studio, you will soon discover that his reputation is accurate, if not understated. His work is incredible, and he is a very trustworthy and punctual fellow.

There's a reason why Cody Robbins trusts Marco to produce his world record Mule Deer full body mount; because there just isn't anyone who's talent compares to what Marco is capable of.

http://www.sugarcreektaxidermy.ca/

403-346-5617

x2

Mike_W
12-17-2012, 02:40 PM

This ^^^

kidd
12-17-2012, 03:58 PM
The best deer mount I have seen was done by Ken Walker located West of Edmonton.
kidd

bear-scat
12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Game Preserve Taxidermy out by Lake Isle does some very nice work.

BANG
12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Artistic by far!
Alex is the sh!£!

dvani
12-17-2012, 07:42 PM
game preserve taxidermy is really good.

here's an example

echo
12-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Artistic hands down !!! He has done every animal that I have mounted and each one looks amazing !!!

Mike_W
12-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Artistic by far!
Alex is the sh!£!

Artistic is Brian
Advantage is Alex

mightybuck
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Send me a message and I will tell you why you want Brian at Artistic taxidermy. He is the best at heads by far.

ab_hunter
12-18-2012, 03:28 AM

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why people take animals to him, all you have to do is walk in his shop and you can tell the mounts just don't look right. When you walk into a shop like Marco's at Sugar Creek you are simply blown away by how realistic the mounts are. As far as I'm concerned the people that take animals to Brian either don't care how there mounts turn out or don't know what a good mount looks like.

Do yourself a favor, take those great looking deer to Sugar Creek, you won't regret it.

Guntash
12-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the input guys!! Im thinking ill take them to Artistic after looking at his work and the fact he 20 min away from my house.

echo
12-18-2012, 07:56 AM
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why people take animals to him, all you have to do is walk in his shop and you can tell the mounts just don't look right. When you walk into a shop like Marco's at Sugar Creek you are simply blown away by how realistic the mounts are. As far as I'm concerned the people that take animals to Brian either don't care how there mounts turn out or don't know what a good mount looks like.

Do yourself a favor, take those great looking deer to Sugar Creek, you won't regret it.

You sound like someone that has those magic balls that only show up when there is a keyboard in front of you ... I willing to bet you wouldn't know a good mount if it ran up and kicked you ...

Tipperary
12-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I probably should have asked for opinions before I took my last one in. It came back with the yellow carpenter's glue on the antlers, blood still on the antlers, a strange shape from the neck to the head... Overall it still looks nice, but that's the second mount I've got done that will make me search for another taxi when the time comes. The first mount took nearly two years to complete.

Anyways.... Nice bucks you got there!

buckbrushoutdoors
12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
You sound like someone that has those magic balls that only show up when there is a keyboard in front of you ... I willing to bet you wouldn't know a good mount if it ran up and kicked you ...

I think he ment Brian that runs starkys, not Dobson.

Bobby B.
12-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Let's put it all into perspective. Brian Dobson of Artistic Taxidermy has been a judge at taxidermy contests.

When viewing the ribbons and awards displayed on a taxidermist's wall, note what level of competition the ribbons and wards refer to. A first place in the 'rookie' division does not compare to a first place in the 'world's' division. Brain has awards at the 'world' level.

While Brian Dobson mounted all my african animals, he refused to lifesize my cougar. The reason he gave? Brian said I would be happier with the work of Phil Soucy as Phil is the best cat man in the business. Sure enough, I researched who Phil was and his credentials are impressive to say the least.

So, what is my impression of Brian? Not only does he do superior game heads, but he's as honest as Hell to boot. What more do you want?

Bobby B.

double gun
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
double post

sheephunter
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Ken is easily the best taxidermist Canada has ever produced... maybe north america. But I dont know how many standard shoulder mounts he takes on.

I've got a Ken Walker/Curtis Fischer collaboration shoulder mount on my wall :) You can sure tell that Curtis studied closely with Ken when you look at the quality of Curtis' work.

We are blessed to have some pretty awesome taxidermists in this province.

double gun
12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
The best deer mount I have seen was done by Ken Walker located West of Edmonton.
kidd

Ken is easily the best taxidermist Canada has ever produced... maybe north america. But he keeps a low profile on forums like this... and I dont know if he takes on that many straight forward, taxidermy jobs - like standard shoulder mounts.

Artistic specializes in unbelievable shoulder mounts, has the awards to prove it and I think he does take on this sort of job.

wbl170
12-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Brian at Artistic all the way! Class act

echo
12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I think he ment Brian that runs starkys, not Dobson.

Fair enough my apologies , there have been some good names posted it is really your decision personally Brian Dobson did my very first mount and will do my last... Taxerdermists are truly artists and that's all that really matters.

deercamp
12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
a long ways from edmonton, but derek from shaw taxidermy did an ace job on my velvet whitetail. Done within 6 months and super easy to deal with. Just have to meet him him halfway to pass the antlers and he takes care of the rest.Right in the middle of the road on price as well. around 600 if i remember right.

justinO
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Brian Dobson is incredible best I have ever seen he will always ge my buisness. Getting the call a year later that your mount is ready is like Christmas morning. Great person also as many have stated on here already.

Nice deer by the way congrats

sneekie
12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
ive gotten afew deer dpne by brian dobson, a lifesize cougar by marco pillon and i have some fish and an owl at alex muirhead and all there work is lifelike and around the same price and turn over time so its personal preference

308Icon
12-18-2012, 05:58 PM
this deer i got in 06 was done buy gordon rosco of northwestern taxidermy of edmonton not sure if he is still around i know he was doing it out of his house.he does awesome work but at that time he took to much inventory in i never got my deer back for like almost 2 years.

Skywalker
12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
A couple of those posts made me blush! Alberta has produced some of the best big game taxidermists in the world. These days I only do full mounts and usually refer heads to Brian Dobson, but I check with him regularly as he refuses to let himself get overloaded. Brian and I worked together for many years and I am comfortable with his professionalism. This is not to detract from the other great Taxidermists we are blessed with. I have seen work by both Alex and Marco, and Curtis that are some of the best I have ever seen. We have top notch Taxidermists in Calgary area as well. All in all my advice is go check out the work and then decide.

ab_hunter
12-18-2012, 07:40 PM
My mistake, should have been more specific, yes I meant Brian Starkey. Brian Dobson does great work no disputing that.