PDA

View Full Version : Caliber legality question

MadMarty911
12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
This is a weird question to ask, and I certainly wouldn't do this but...,

My wife asked if hunting with a nonrestricted carbine in a pistol calibre is legal here in Alberta. Ie 9mm, .40, .45 etc

I know about the minimum calibre restrictions for rifles, and I know that it's illegal to use a handgun. But what about pistol calibre carbines like the JR carbine or the Thureon Defense carbine.

I do understand the limitations behind pistol ammunition, I'm merely looking for a yes or no on the legality to answer my wife.
Thanks all in advance!

huntinstuff
12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
.23 cal and up for big game

CNP
legal for the cals you listed............. yes.

Lefty-Canuck
Yes, provided the rifle used is not restricted...in alberta anything larger than .23 is a legal hunting caliber. Therefore 9mm is legal. The minimum length of cartridge restriction was removed when the WSSM cartridges were released....allowing certain "smaller" cartridges to be legal, the .25-20 comes to mind.

LC

catnthehat
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
The cartridge does not matter, it is the calibre of the bullet.
Anything over .23 and up is okay, even if it is chamberd in a pistol cartridge.
25/50,32/20,38/40, 44/40, 357mag, 44mag, all come to mind.....
Cat

Arctic
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
In the same category, is a .204 legal for anything?

Bound2Fish
12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
In the same category, is a .204 legal for anything?

Everything that is not considered big game, such as gophers and coyotes.

duffy4
12-17-2012, 03:46 PM
This is a weird question to ask, and I certainly wouldn't do this but...,

My wife asked if hunting with a nonrestricted carbine in a pistol calibre is legal here in Alberta. Ie 9mm, .40, .45 etc

I know about the minimum calibre restrictions for rifles, and I know that it's illegal to use a handgun. But what about pistol calibre carbines like the JR carbine or the Thureon Defense carbine.

I do understand the limitations behind pistol ammunition, I'm merely looking for a yes or no on the legality to answer my wife.
Thanks all in advance!

Not exactly correct. I have been legally using two different handguns for hunting this fall.

Lefty-Canuck
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Not exactly correct. I have been legally using two different handguns for hunting this fall.

I know for sure one of them is not actually classified as a handgun by the CFC :)

LC

MadMarty911
12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the reply gents!

CaberTosser
12-17-2012, 07:11 PM
There are plenty of pistol calibre Winchester 1894's and Marlin lever guns in calibre's such as .38 Special/.357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, etc. Ruger has semi-auto carbines that share common magazines with their P94 series pistols too. All legal for big game, but certainly range limited.

elkhunter11
12-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Neither of them are considered to be handguns according to the Wildlife Act, or you could not legally use them to hunt in Alberta.

From the wildlife Act

Items Prohibited for Hunting Purposes
Item 1
Items prohibited for hunting all wildlife
1 An arrow equipped with an explosive head.
2 A swivel set or spring gun.
3 A firearm that is capable of firing more than one bullet during
one pressure of the trigger or a firearm that can be altered to
operate as such. This subitem prevails in the event of any conflict
with the exception in subitem 10.
4 A poisonous substance described in section 32(5) or an
immobilizing drug.
5 A light.
6 Repealed AR 134/2002 s17.
7 A shotgun of a gauge greater than 10 gauge.
8 A device designed to deaden the sound of the report of a
firearm.
9 Recorded wildlife calls or sounds or an electronically operated
calling device, except where a person is hunting
(a) migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that
mimic snow geese, or
RSA 2000
Schedule Chapter W-10
WILDLIFE ACT
(b) crows, magpies, coyotes, red foxes or wolves with the use
of calls or sounds that mimic any of these kinds of animal
or hares, rabbits or rodents.
10 A handgun, except a restricted firearm or a prohibited firearm
of a kind that is a handgun for whose possession the holding of a
licence and a registration certificate is required by the Criminal
Code (Canada), where a person
(a) uses the handgun to kill an animal caught in a trap, or
(b) is in possession of that handgun only for a purpose
incidental to that use or the reasonable expectation of that
use.

I know for sure one of them is not actually classified as a handgun by the CFC

They are only considered to be handguns in his fantasy world, they aren't handguns according to our firearms regulations, or he couldn't legally hunt with them in Alberta.

duffy4
12-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry elkhunter11

a pistol or revolver unless
– the person is a licenced trapper (holding a federal authorization) who is dispatching an animal caught in a trap, or
– it is an air powered pistol or revolver that discharges a projectile at less than 500 feet per second (often used for hunting small game).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/DSCN9781_zpse3c42f0b.jpg

Crossman CO2 .22 cal pellet pistol (handgun)

Like I said I was hunting with a handgun.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/RossiRanchHand.jpg

And I was hunting deer with this handgun.

elkhunter11
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
a pistol or revolver unless
– the person is a licenced trapper (holding a federal authorization) who is dispatching an animal caught in a trap, or
– it is an air powered pistol or revolver that discharges a projectile at less than 500 feet per second (often used for hunting small game).

Could you kindly point out that exemption for an air pistol in the wildlife Act. I see it in the guide, but not under the actual legislation. In fact, the guide doesn't even use the word "handgun" like the actual legislation does.

That firearm,is not classed as a handgun under Canadian law. If it was, you would have violated the section of the Wildlife Act that I posted. So either the firearm pictured is not considered a handgun by Canadian standards, or you are a poacher, which is it?

duffy4
12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
That firearm,is not classed as a handgun under Canadian law. If it was, you would have violated the section of the Wildlife Act that I posted. So either the firearm pictured is not considered a handgun by Canadian standards, or you are a poacher, which is it?

The feds say it is a short long gun but what do they know.
The provincial people who make firearms regulations are confused enough to follow the confused federal people. You can follow along with them if you like.

While I happily go hunting with a handgun.

elkhunter11
12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
The feds say it is a short long gun but what do they know.The provincial people who make firearms regulations are confused enough to follow the confused federal people. You can follow along with them if you like.

While I happily go hunting with a handgun.

If it is a handgun, as you claim,then you purposely violated the Wildlife Act by hunting big game with a handgun. So much for your credibility!:rolleye2:

silver
12-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Could you kindly point out that exemption for an air pistol in the wildlife Act. I see it in the guide, but not under the actual legislation. In fact, the guide doesn't even use the word "handgun" like the actual legislation does.

That firearm,is not classed as a handgun under Canadian law.

If the muzzle velocity is below 500 fps, it is not classed as a firearm.

Lefty-Canuck
12-18-2012, 06:40 AM
If it is a handgun, as you claim,then you purposely violated the Wildlife Act by hunting big game with a handgun. So much for your credibility!:rolleye2:

EH11....just refer back to Duffy's "interpretation" of "direct communication" while hunting under a moose partner license to understand his personal agenda :)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=107250&page=2&highlight=direct+communication+moose

Related to this topic...

....the pellet gun is not a firearm, unless it fires a projectile over 500fps....which if it does Duffy just admitted to hunting grouse illegally here.

....the Rossi Ranch hand is not a restricted firearm (handgun) it is considered a RIFLE, NON-RESTRICTED

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/Capture-1.jpg

So brag and twist all you want Duffy they are not "handguns" as defined by the people who matter......you could claim they were light-sabres or lazer beam projectors....that doesn't mean a thing. :)

You could also hunt grouse with an airsoft gun or a paintball gun (not sure it would humanely kill them though).....would you call those handguns as well?

LC

duffy4
12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Lefty
Boy that "partner licence" thread had a real effect on you, you seem to bring it up a lot. I hope you are bnot having trouble sleeping at night because of it.

they are not "handguns" as defined by the people who matter

I have a pretty good idea of what a handgun is. And the people that matter only matter if you are ready and willing to salue them. Their record on classifyingn firearms has always baffled me and so I don't put much faith in their abilities.

I am glad they do not call a ranch hand a "Prohibited or restricted weapon". Had they done so you would have accepted that without a wimper, no doubt as they are the ones that matter. I am still not sure what Provincial F&W people call it but from my enquiries they did not say it was illegal to hunt with.

I didn't get a deer with it but as soon as I get a chance I will be hunting coyotes with my .44 Rem. magnum handgun.

elkhunter11
12-18-2012, 09:45 AM
If the muzzle velocity is below 500 fps, it is not classed as a firearm.

Exactly my point.

they are not "handguns" as defined by the people who matter

And the people that set the regulations are the people that matter. Someone else may call it a handgun ,but that doesn't make it a handgun according to our legal definition.

grinr
12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I would think the people that matter are the people that manufacture the Ranch Hand...and they call it a handgun,says so right on the box it's shipped in,in case anybody missed that??^^^
:party0052:

covey ridge
12-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reply gents!

In addition to what other said there is a requirement to use an expanding type bullet. No full metal jackets!

Ooops, I did not see the full metal restriction thing in the legislation posted by elkhunter

covey ridge
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/RossiRanchHand.jpg

That is as much of a handgun as a shoty with a pistol grip is. Under Federal law the CO2 pistol is not even classed as a firearm.

catnthehat
12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I would think the people that matter are the people that manufacture the Ranch Hand...and they call it a handgun,says so right on the box it's shipped in,in case anybody missed that??^^^
:party0052:

Thta's because where the bix and the ranch hand are made, is not Canada.
Crap, this has got to to be the only place in the world that a bunch of so-called experts would wage war on whether or not a short fire arm is considerd a hand gun or not- considering that hand guns are illegal to hunt big game with and if people complain loud enough and long enough in canda something usually gets done.
In this case, maybe some members' wishes would come true and Canada would reclassify what is considered a short rifle - which would be our own fault to have those guns and a few others moved into the prohib category.
Take a look at exactly what you people are arguing about.

It's a danged short rifle or carbine or fire arm or whatever you want to call it - the fact remains that it is legal to hunt with and that you are bickering over a terminalogy, that's it.
GROW UP already!!:angry3:
Cat

grinr
12-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Ok Cat,in case you missed my "popcorn guy"......(couldn't find "stir the pot" smiley?).I was just havn fun.....hell I don't want those short rifles banned,I WANT ONE!!!

huntinstuff
12-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Op question answered. Thx