PDA

View Full Version : Count the Whites

Speckle55
12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Another great day by my buddy and i:character0053: ,, we saw schools of white's and caught afew 6 for me and i missed a couple ,, heater work great,,,:sHa_shakeshout: one man tent with a Black Cat Coleman on high..

enjoy

David :)

Fishingaddict
12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Is it just me or is that loon on the left missing a head?

Safety D
12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Gull lake must be heating up !!!!!!

Stinky Buffalo
12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
That's a sight to behold! (the whites, not the headless loon...) :lol:

I think I'm going to have to try my luck with those this year... It's been ages since I went after them.

Wild&Free
12-17-2012, 04:50 PM
nice catch. thanks for sharing.

Barnes19
12-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Hoping to catch some myself during the Christmas break, looks like fun.

Mike_W
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Gull lake must be heating up !!!!!!

Lol not from gull lol

Alberta Bigbore
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
nice white! I can smell the fish patties sizzling in bacon grease already....mmmmmm

jacenbeers
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
This is poaching in my opinion. Nice catch. Are you smoking them?

EZM
12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Jacen,

With all do respect, if the fisherman are within thier legal limit, and obviously with 2 guys on this outing, they are simply, and according to the law, it is not poaching. Your opinion, has nothing to do with the law.

If you feel it's unethical, that's another issue and you are entitled to your opinion. I think, for whites which are quite plentiful in most lakes, he is kosher. He will be eating them and/or smoking them, I personally don't see anything wrong with that.

You are a good contributor to this forum, but I don't want us to start blasting each other everytime one of us is kind enough to share a post and some pics. Pretty soon nobody will share any photos and stories and this forum will go down hill.

Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intent, I just cringe everytime I see anyone blasted on here lately and hate to think of the ramifications.

I have many pictures to share, but I don't. This is why.

Wild&Free
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I just cringe everytime I see anyone blasted on here lately and hate to think of the ramifications.

x2

Walleye101
12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Nice catch Speckle!! Those are gonna be some good eat's. Don't pay any attention to these pessimistic idiot's that are jealous of your great catch. :)

AdamJ
12-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Jacen,

With all do respect, if the fisherman are within thier legal limit, and obviously with 2 guys on this outing, they are simply, and according to the law, it is not poaching. Your opinion, has nothing to do with the law.

If you feel it's unethical, that's another issue and you are entitled to your opinion. I think, for whites which are quite plentiful in most lakes, he is kosher. He will be eating them and/or smoking them, I personally don't see anything wrong with that.

You are a good contributor to this forum, but I don't want us to start blasting each other everytime one of us is kind enough to share a post and some pics. Pretty soon nobody will share any photos and stories and this forum will go down hill.

Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intent, I just cringe everytime I see anyone blasted on here lately and hate to think of the ramifications.

I have many pictures to share, but I don't. This is why.

I suspect you missed Jacen's humour... in relation to the other whitefish thread

EZM
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I suspect you missed Jacen's humour... in relation to the other whitefish thread

Yes I did ............ Sorry Jacen ........... should have known better ......:argue2:

Jokes on me I guess ...........:snapoutofit:

I was pretty shocked to see the post coming from him actually ...... no harm I guess .......

:scared0018:

jacenbeers
12-18-2012, 02:54 PM
No worries. That is why I immediately also complimented the catch right after. I am totally fine with people keeping their limit. I do it with some species too, especially both types of whitefish when I can.

waterninja
12-18-2012, 03:02 PM
i've talked to a lot of people who said they couldn't wait to get out for some whites. iv'e never targeted them and wonder what the fuss is about? are they that good eating?

thorne
12-18-2012, 03:20 PM
i've talked to a lot of people who said they couldn't wait to get out for some whites. iv'e never targeted them and wonder what the fuss is about? are they that good eating?

Im kinda in the same boat my friend. the only ones I have caught have been accidental, on smelts fishing for pike, not a reccomended method, but I take it! I did get a few last year when they showed up where i was fishing using more traditional white fish methods. There were no pike around and a bunch of these critters show up so heck! Why not!! They are fun, and have lots of fight, and the few i have tried at the dinner table were alright, so i just might get out myself and spend a day or so chasing the whiley little buggers!

jacenbeers
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM

They are really good. Especially for people that like lighter tasting fish. They are not strong like trout and salmon.

Speckle55
12-18-2012, 04:00 PM

yes yes yes..... you used to buy them at IGA's ...whole not even gutted.. you can still buy at some Super Store's if you havn't ate Lake Whitefish then you are missing some very fine Canadian Quisine

David:)

tysonlazo2
12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
:love::love::burp: omg smoked white fish the best !

jackrabbit000
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Nice fish, congrats.

EZM
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
They are really good. Especially for people that like lighter tasting fish. They are not strong like trout and salmon.

Agreed, they are probably the mildest of fish - as long as you shave off the darker meat (maybe a 1mm thick layer) on the skin side of the filet. This true of many fish I've found.

Spice em' roll them in some flour and lightly saute them.

Buety eats ......

huntin'fool
12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Agreed, they are probably the mildest of fish - as long as you shave off the darker meat (maybe a 1mm thick layer) on the skin side of the filet. This true of many fish I've found.

Spice em' roll them in some flour and lightly saute them.

Buety eats ......

good call on removing the dark meat along lateral line (the fat). Not everyone knows this, but it sure makes a huge difference in quality on whitefish. I haven't noticed as much of a difference on other species. But IMO, it can sometimes make or break a good feed of whitefish.

This is especially important when freezing them. Leaving the fat on detiorates the quality of frozen fish much quicker...in my experience.

rcales
12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I got say something. nice catch.

just cause the limit is 10, doesn't mean you need to try and keep 10. Nothing wrong with keeping a couple for a "taste". It's up to us as fishermen to be responsible with our resources, it's not like fish and wildlife have any kind of stocking program for anything other than trout.

I've said my piece, bet a lot of us are thinking it.

bammer1
12-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Thats called harvesting in my books.

Can't wait till I get my first lake whitefish.

Jealous...

bammer1
12-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Legally you have to eat them before you limit out again.

Personally(in another province) I like to limit out my freezer(if the opportunity presents itself), and eat them. Catch whatever to limit freezer again. mmm kokannees...

Lake whitefish are pretty low on the food chain are they not?

I could be wrong, it has happened once or twice long ago.

Speckle55
12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Legally you have to eat them before you limit out again.

Personally(in another province) I like to limit out my freezer(if the opportunity presents itself), and eat them. Catch whatever to limit freezer again. mmm kokannees...

Lake whitefish are pretty low on the food chain are they not?

I could be wrong, it has happened once or twice long ago.

here is some info on Lake Whitefish

David:)

Fishing

Lake whitefish is one of the most important species for commercial inland fisheries in North America. The total annual catch from Canada and USA reported by FAO is some 12,000 tonnes.[7]

Many amateur anglers also enjoy hooking this fish in the months of June, July and early August. A simple line and jig system is enough to catch the fish as they feast on mayflies and midges. Commercial fishing has allowed for the spread of this fish into many different markets, restaurants, and grocery store shelves.[5]

BlackHeart
12-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice catch. Good fishing. I do well on them ice fishing (with a ton of tricks learnt the hard way) but I think you would be hard to beat.

As for taste, to me they are buttery and very nice. Smoked they are really very good, and most don't last very long in the freezer with teenage boys....they eat like voracious wolves.

And for fight and fishing fun, much better than plke or perch, lb for lb.