PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Quad

Smokercraft
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Looking for some advice from the collective experience of the forum.

Looking at getting a quad. Primary use will be for hunting, deer, elk and moose, but I'll use it for ice fishing and a bit of trail riding as well.

Read lots about the pros and cons of the different brands, and I think I'm leaning towards a Yamaha.

What I'm not sure about is what size, 660 or 450?

I like the lower wieght, better fuel economy and easier maneuvering of the smaller quad, but will a 450 be enough to haul out a moose, with a hunting partner on the back?

Thanks for the advice

Attilathecanuk
12-17-2012, 09:36 PM
450 is enough(depending on how big you, the partner and the moose is lol). Really though, I would take a 450 moose hunting/hauling any day.

huntinstuff
12-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I can pull a quartered moose, gear and kid out with my 420

Brent_reid
12-17-2012, 09:39 PM
I have been using my Honda 300 for 20 yrs and it has pulled out alot of moose and can run from morning till dark on 1 tank

Brent

huntinstuff
12-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I have been using my Honda 300 for 20 yrs and it has pulled out alot of moose and can run from morning till dark on 1 tank

Brent

Is it blue in color?

KBF
12-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Brent

I love my Brute Force 750, fun to ride and lots of power, but will not run all day on a tank,haha.

Brent_reid
12-17-2012, 09:58 PM
No its red

cochranenite
12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Can am outlander 650 pulled two bull elk plus backs and me (260lbs) like nothing 4x4 low good to go plus 3 mule deer 2 backs, me plus my father inlaw who is 350lbs

450Marlin
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
If I were to buy another for hunting it would be the new Honda Foreman 500. No belts to blow or change and all the power you will ever need to pull a moose.

NIKON
12-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I run a Kawi 750 Brute force also...... Tons of power :) Have upgraded to 27" aggressive tires

It may come down to , are you planning on upgrading to bigger tires with more aggresive tread.....If your not you may want to stick to a smaller cc engine , and yes easier on fuel.......

baptiste_moose
12-17-2012, 11:07 PM
If your gonna be pulling animals and gear you want a solid rear axle. No independent rear! Helps for mudding as well as less maintenance and less to go wrong. 350 yamaha does everything I need. Hi Lo gear is essential. The smaller the quad the lighter it is and the less you use your winch. You can bounce and push it out with one hand on the throttle. Way better on fuel too. My buddies 700 grizzly drinks!

Lefty-Canuck
12-17-2012, 11:09 PM
My Dad has a Yamaha 400 that he is looking to sell. I think he wants around $4000 for it.....let me know if you are interested. We have pulled moose out with it and it works quite well!

LC

greywolf
12-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I own 2 500 cc quads, they are great machines to travel on, lots of fun, etc. But, hauling any decent sized moose out of the bush will be a challenge, especially in the muskeg, etc. The moose below is a prime example, we had a 400 eiger that could not even move this moose. Plan on 2 to 3 trips to get one like this one out.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff428/boldm/100_0892-1.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff428/boldm/100_0896mooseloading_zps52ab8bc6.jpg

Some of the larger quads, or a SXS will handle this task better than the smaller machines for sure.

ram crazy
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Yamaha's are a bit top heavy. The honda has a lower center of gravity, the 420 is a nice machine.

Walleyes
12-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Well first of all there is only one true ATV, Honda,, the rest are just imatations..

Bought the son a 350 Yammy last fall, it seems to be a decent bike but what I don't like about it is the auto transmision. When hunting I like to put my machine in a higher gear and just idle along, it keeps noise to a min. In the Yammy with the auto its always revved up and its quite noisey,, drives me fricken batty. Just something to think about. Honestly if I would of known that machine was like that I wouldn't of bought it...

Pincherguy
12-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Looking at getting a quad. Primary use will be for hunting, deer, elk and moose, but I'll use it for ice fishing and a bit of trail riding as well.

Read lots about the pros and cons of the different brands, and I think I'm leaning towards a Yamaha.

I like the lower wieght, better fuel economy and easier maneuvering of the smaller quad, but will a 450 be enough to haul out a moose, with a hunting partner on the back?

Thanks for the advice

:sHa_shakeshout:I had a Yamaha 450, great bike. I used it to haul elk with no problem, even riding double. It is light enough that you can pick up the ends and jockey them around if you need to, found the bigger ones a little heavy for that. I have a Yamaha sxs now but if I was going the quad route I would definatly go back to the 450.
PG

Smokercraft
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm about 250lbs, and my hunting partner would be my soon to be wife, so it sounds like a 450 is plenty.

Interesting point about the soid axel vs independant suspension. Always thought solid axel was kind of old school now, but I see your point about hauling. May have to look at one of those Honda 420's.

buckman
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
450 Yamaha Kodiak.Lots of power will pull a Elk or moose over most rough ground.Good on gas,handles well and if it tips you can right it yourself.Larger quads weigh more and are a little overkill for my liking.

If you want something bigger may as well get a side by side.

Hooter
12-18-2012, 11:22 AM
For what you've described I think I would lean towards a Honda Foreman 500 ES. Lots of power, solid axle, very little to go wrong, and light enough to maneuver easily. I have a Grizz 700 and it fits my needs perfectly, but I would go back to a Honda of I needed something reliable and bullet proof.

Fer-Tak-Er
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
If I were to buy another for hunting it would be the new Honda Foreman 500. No belts to blow or change and all the power you will ever need to pull a moose.

X2.
Have had mine since 2005. Even ended up upside down under a log in the Athabasca river for 2 hours. Drained the oil and started it up. Still runs like a charm. The straight axle is great for towing. I have a tandem steel quad tub, I can load right up and load the racks right up. Quad still pulls it around. Try that with an indepentant rear suspension. Wouldn't buy anything but a Honda.

Mike_W
12-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Whatever you get make sure it has a low gear!!

Buddy has a 660 rincon what a joke it could t pull a spike bull moose up a slight grade ..... No tire spin just not geared low enough.

You could always go for the best CAN AM!!

They make a 500 which is probably more than enough also can am makes a two person quad ( seat, foot rest and handles or a passenger.) makes two up riding much more comfortable for both you and the passenger ....much safer too!!

Fer-Tak-Er
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Whatever you get make sure it has a low gear!!

Buddy has a 660 rincon what a joke it could t pull a spike bull moose up a slight grade ..... No tire spin just not geared low enough.

You could always go for the best CAN AM!!

They make a 500 which is probably more than enough also can am makes a two person quad ( seat, foot rest and handles or a passenger.) makes two up riding much more comfortable for both you and the passenger ....much safer too!!And if you go this way, you will know everyone behind the service desk very well. You will know them so well, that they can come out and help you haul that moose out as well.

mxz1997
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Yamaha's are a bit top heavy. The honda has a lower center of gravity, the 420 is a nice machine.

Lower Center of gravity and Lower Ground Clearance too. I've used both and I would take a Yamaha Kodiak hands down. Having diff lock alone makes it worth it. Buy a Yamaha and you will be glad you did.

mxz1997
12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Which reminds me of a story... Honda guys will hate this. Has a buddy bought a brand new 500 Honda was full of straight axle, manual transmission... Wanted to come to a lake with us, 8 hours of muskeg and swamp. We jokingly told him, if you come your gonna sell that Honda and buy a Yamaha when you get back... Well wasn't a month after we got back that new Honda was gone and he was proudly sitting on a new Yamaha Grizzly. Said he couldn't believe how much more and independent with diff lock will do.

sirmike68
12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I have used my 2002 400 Sportsman with out any issues and it has plenty of power. I have pulled moose and elk out of the woods without any problems. My buddy has an 850 and it is a beautiful machine but he is constantly filling it up with gas.

pseelk
12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm about 250lbs, and my hunting partner would be my soon to be wife, so it sounds like a 450 is plenty.

Interesting point about the soid axel vs independant suspension. Always thought solid axel was kind of old school now, but I see your point about hauling. May have to look at one of those Honda 420's.

It depends what you plan on doing with it.If your going to drag your animals out(which I dont do) than depending on terrain you might need more power,If your putting it on a trailer and towing it out (which is how I do it) you will never use all the horse power of a 450.I have hauled more moose & elk out with my 450 and trailer than I can remember.Plenty of power.

NIKON
12-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Wet Weight 620 lb 2013 Grizzly 450 Auto. 4x4 EPS

Wet Weight 648 lb 2013 Grizzly 700 FI Auto. 4x4 EPS Special Edition

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/540/0/specs.aspx

Curb Weight 265 kg (584 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride TRX420FM 2013

Curb Weight 294 kg (648 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride TRX500PG Canadian Trail Edition Rubicon 2013

http://atv.honda.ca/utility/trx500pg_cte#/utility/trx500pg_cte/specifications

Curb Mass** 315 kg (694.4 lbs.) Brute Force 750 4x4i EPS More Sharing Services
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ATV-UTILITY-SPORT/1482/Brute-Force-750-4x4i-EPS

Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 729 / 331 http://www.atv.com/specs/can-am/utility/2013/outlander-tm/800r-dps.html

jim summit
12-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Wet Weight 620 lb 2013 Grizzly 450 Auto. 4x4 EPS

Wet Weight 648 lb 2013 Grizzly 700 FI Auto. 4x4 EPS Special Edition

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/540/0/specs.aspx

Curb Weight 265 kg (584 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride TRX420FM 2013

Curb Weight 294 kg (648 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride TRX500PG Canadian Trail Edition Rubicon 2013

http://atv.honda.ca/utility/trx500pg_cte#/utility/trx500pg_cte/specifications

Curb Mass** 315 kg (694.4 lbs.) Brute Force 750 4x4i EPS More Sharing Services
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ATV-UTILITY-SPORT/1482/Brute-Force-750-4x4i-EPS

Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 729 / 331 http://www.atv.com/specs/can-am/utility/2013/outlander-tm/800r-dps.html

I prefer a heavier machine, never seen a little ole Datson pull a heavy load....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mike_W
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
And if you go this way, you will know everyone behind the service desk very well. You will know them so well, that they can come out and help you haul that moose out as well.

Just talkin crap or do you have anything thing to back up what you are saying?

I have never had can am break down on me!....I have never had any machine break down on me for that matter but just overall ride and quality on a Can Am makes it the best.

Like driving a Chevette or a Porche if your chevette has got you eveywhere you wanted to go great and if you have never drove a porche you would never know the difference but don't smack talk the guy with a porche.

Bigmountainrider
12-18-2012, 04:37 PM
If you want tough and reliable you go with Honda, most guides, servey companies, anyone who needs a quad for work uses a Honda.

Big Racks
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I bought an '05 Arctic Cat 500 Auto and absolutely love it. Yes, it's big and heavy - then again so am I. Ground clearance is second to none. Funny observation, was recovering a deer from the back of a cut block with a buddy and his Honda 420. At first I was pretty envious of my buddy being able to climb off his quad and, one hand on the throttle, work it over the various deadfalls and stumps we were encountering. It was very easy to man handle compared to the size of my Arctic Cat. Then I realized, I WASN'T having to climb off my quad and try and man handle it over these same deadfalls and stumps, because I had the ground clearance to ride over them while staying on the bike :). I didn't have to get off my bike once the whole ride out.

I don't have anything bad to say about the other quad manufacturers, just like my Arctic Cat so much I think I'll be into another one when I want to buy new. Plus, I have a buddy back in BC who is a mechanic at a bike/quad dealership/repair shop and I picked his brain extensively before buying. The only quad he recommended not buying was a Polaris (just too many of them coming through his shop for his liking). Lots of Hondas too he said but that was due to the overwhelming popularity of them and just how many are out there. He recommended, for reliability, the Suzuki (and the Arctic Cat 500cc+ as they used the Suzuki powerplant). Evidently, smaller Arctic Cats didn't use the Suzuki engines.

Ultimate Predator
12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Rented honda 500 foremans for bear guiding ran the one i had 6000 km tub trailer in tow and right to the balls every were u went tough machines no problems i own a 2000 yamaha 400 bullet proff as well

scrapper
12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
I know, I know everybody has pulled a giant moose through the gates of hell with a 420. Yes they have been doing it for the last 20 years yada yada yada. The bottom line is big bore power will do anything a small bore can do, however a small bore cannot do what big power can do, not even close. In today's world it's all about tires, tire size and the power to drive those tires. A 420 is a fine entry level machine but forget about after market wheels and tires, it simply won't drive them. I have owned the 420 Honda a similar sized Polaris with a straight axle and I now have a 1000 AC TC. There is no comparison a big bore with live suspension is the way to go.

Buy the biggest you can afford, my absolute minimum would be 650..

ram crazy
12-19-2012, 12:09 AM
I know, I know everybody has pulled a giant moose through the gates of hell with a 420. Yes they have been doing it for the last 20 years yada yada yada. The bottom line is big bore power will do anything a small bore can do, however a small bore cannot do what big power can do, not even close. In today's world it's all about tires, tire size and the power to drive those tires. A 420 is a fine entry level machine but forget about after market wheels and tires, it simply won't drive them. I have owned the 420 Honda a similar sized Polaris with a straight axle and I now have a 1000 AC TC. There is no comparison a big bore with live suspension is the way to go.

Buy the biggest you can afford, my absolute minimum would be 650..

Thats funny the 420 has only been out since 2007. I have over sized tires on my 420 and it drives them fine, oh and going down hills I can select 1st. gear and not have to use brakes, and I can go through deep water and not have to worry about getting the drive belt wet as well ;)

jryley
12-19-2012, 12:47 AM

I have never had can am break down on me!....I have never had any machine break down on me for that matter but just overall ride and quality on a Can Am makes it the best.

Like driving a Chevette or a Porche if your chevette has got you eveywhere you wanted to go great and if you have never drove a porche you would never know the difference but don't smack talk the guy with a porche.

Lol wow man. Sales guy got to you. Geezuz

FishHunterPro
12-19-2012, 01:50 AM
8yrs strong with my 660 and about 7000km and still runs great. About half the mileage was towing about 1000lb tub trailer.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj500/motohead686/D09C7A21-4E8B-4E3D-A777-023326B0DC9D-125-0000001131CAF926.jpg

surface2feather
12-19-2012, 05:13 AM
I just bought a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 850 this fall and love that thing so far. I only have a few hundred km on it and it has performed very well. Has a big fuel tank and it lasted me all day every day. My bro in law and I hunt together, he has an 07 Sportsman and he had to fill his up each day, but I didnt.
Tons of power, a very comfy ride, able to push snow that was up to (and over sometimes) the racks. Powered out of some soft muskeg covered by deep soft snow like nothing.
Bright headlights too, thats important for some people.
The only downside I experienced so far is that a few mornings it was froze up and wouldn't turn over, but 15-20 minutes w/ a tiger torch and it started.

Hope this helps, though I don't see too many people pumping polaris on this thread haha.

BTW, I ran an 05 Foreman 450 through the same stuff for 4 years prior (except the deep snow), The quad was light, went everywhere the big quads went, and usually easy to get unstuck. I was probably 50/50 for days that I didn't have to add fuel. Very reliable, always started. Pulled a few big moose w/out trouble.

I think spending another 5-600 on tires is important. The factory tires will make it roll, a good aftermarket tire will take you anywhere.

Fer-Tak-Er
12-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Like driving a Chevette or a Porche if your chevette has got you eveywhere you wanted to go great and if you have never drove a porche you would never know the difference but don't smack talk the guy with a porche.Sorry to push a button Mike.
Had a boss tell me he was going out to buy a new quad. Said he did a lot of research and decided the way to go was Can Am. His wife had that thing back to the dealer 1/2 a dozen times in 4 months or so. Not sure what was wronge with it. About a year later I was out to his place and I happen to see a new Foreman parked beside the Can Am. He said the wife wanted a reliable quad. I laughed at him, and told him if he just would have bought a honda he would have only had to buy 1 quad.

Walleyes
12-19-2012, 07:42 AM
I just bought a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 850 this fall and love that thing so far. I only have a few hundred km on it and it has performed very well. Has a big fuel tank and it lasted me all day every day. My bro in law and I hunt together, he has an 07 Sportsman and he had to fill his up each day, but I didnt.
Tons of power, a very comfy ride, able to push snow that was up to (and over sometimes) the racks. Powered out of some soft muskeg covered by deep soft snow like nothing.
Bright headlights too, thats important for some people.
The only downside I experienced so far is that a few mornings it was froze up and wouldn't turn over, but 15-20 minutes w/ a tiger torch and it started.

Hope this helps, though I don't see too many people pumping polaris on this thread haha.

BTW, I ran an 05 Foreman 450 through the same stuff for 4 years prior (except the deep snow), The quad was light, went everywhere the big quads went, and usually easy to get unstuck. I was probably 50/50 for days that I didn't have to add fuel. Very reliable, always started. Pulled a few big moose w/out trouble.

I think spending another 5-600 on tires is important. The factory tires will make it roll, a good aftermarket tire will take you anywhere.

With all do respect,, Polaris's should be outlawed in the bush.. Those things are so unbeleivbly loud its unreal.. There were a couple fellows using them this fall where I was deer hunting and I couldn't beleive it,, they could not get far enough away from a person and it was like they were on top of you all day.. I mean it,, those quads would be 2 or 3 miles away and it was like they were a couple hundred yards.. I wouldn't have one of those pieces of junk in my yard.. I warned my boys,, if they ever buy one of those damn machines they will never hunt with me..

Do everyone a favour,, sell it..

Kurt505
12-19-2012, 07:46 AM
NOTHING beats a Grizzly.

Fer-Tak-Er
12-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Went for a ride a couple years ago out to some small sand hills. 1 of the guys we were riding with had a new polaris. He went to go up the sand pile, and went of backwards. Very slowly falling backwards 1 revolution and landing on its wheels. The guy made it off very easy and didn't get hurt. But the quad was wrecked.Both front and rear racks are plastic, and where completely wrecked, and the rear tail lights where hanging down as well. Not sure what it would have cost to repair it, but certainly not made very well. Polaris should have stayed making snow mobiles.

Stinky Coyote
12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
had a king quad 450, rhino 700, now for the little bit i need or use one i got an 09 foreman 500 foot shift with power steering, only a couple years you could get the simplest most bombproof quad going with the only luxury being power steering, i wanted the carb, but with snow tracks the power steering very nice, i probably won't have to or want to buy another quad

Smokercraft
12-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Wow, way more information than I expected.

Considering this is going to be my first quad, and I've got a budget of around 4K, looks like the best deal on either a Honda 420-500 or Yammy 450 I can find will be where I go.

Thanks againg for all the input, love that about this forum. Got advice on my bino's and shotgun from here as well and love both that were recommended.

Mike_W
12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Sorry to push a button Mike.
Had a boss tell me he was going out to buy a new quad. Said he did a lot of research and decided the way to go was Can Am. His wife had that thing back to the dealer 1/2 a dozen times in 4 months or so. Not sure what was wronge with it. About a year later I was out to his place and I happen to see a new Foreman parked beside the Can Am. He said the wife wanted a reliable quad. I laughed at him, and told him if he just would have bought a honda he would have only had to buy 1 quad.

Fair enough im sure every maunufacture puts out a lemon now and then.

I do believe Can Am puts out a quality machine and dominates the market in pretty much every aspect.

That said I think most quads out there when properly maintained are great!! Like I said whatever the OP get just ensure it has a low gearing cause that really helps when in thick stuff, towing and pulling.

I recently purchased a my second Can-Am My other Can-Am was a 1 up 650 outlander and that quad never let me down and was a work horse. When I purchased my new quad I wanted 2 things power steering and 2 up capabilities.
The longer chassis makes for a nicer ride and the 2 up design makes it really comfortable for both rider and passenger.
I also went with big displacement 1000 cc's this is nice and fun but a great aspect is the Can am has two keys one runs it at 500 cc's and the other at the full 1000. I use the 500 quite abit and really the tourqe and power from the 500 is more than the 650 had.
I love this quad!!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/DSCN0867.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/DSCN0849.jpg

Walleyes
12-19-2012, 11:08 AM
HOLA !!! that bike is wayyy to pretty for me.. I would be scared to scratch that perrty thing..

sparky660
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Yamaha and Honda own the ATV market for a reason. Between the two they own 50% market shares with Polaris a close third with 18%. Yamaha and honda jockey for position from year to year. The largest ATV market is the 400 to 500 market and these two companies own it. The 700+ is 1% of the sales and that is why you don`t see Yamaha and Honda waste their time on that portion of the market as it isn`t worth there time to go after such a small market. If you want reliability you can`t go wrong with any of them but there is a reason for Yamaha and Honda being in the position they are in.

honda450
12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I own Hondas, I own a Polaris, I own a Kawasaki.

Hidden little gems are those Suzuki's, yup I got one too. Priced right, reliable and nice to ride.

Walleyes don't know what kind of Polaris those guys had , or aftermarket exhast. But mine is probably the most quiet quad I own. 600 twin stock. As per video.

Little video I did. I am just getting started in this movie business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8S_1xJWULk

Stinky Coyote
12-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Considering this is going to be my first quad, and I've got a budget of around 4K, looks like the best deal on either a Honda 420-500 or Yammy 450 I can find will be where I go.

Thanks againg for all the input, love that about this forum. Got advice on my bino's and shotgun from here as well and love both that were recommended.

another thing i do to my atv/sidexside is add the benz silent rider exhaust and with a simple quad with footshift and big factory muffler like the foreman 500...it is the quietest machine on the trail, no cvt whine or noise, its stealthy stealthy, not the fastest comfiest thing but imo these are stubby little 4x4's that need to go at speeds that suit the ride and stubby little 4x4's shouldn't be flying imo, i wanted lowest center of gravity, solid rear axle, carb, it doesn't matter how long it sits, how cold, i picked the ride that you will get running period, has a back up recoil starter should the battery have died in long sit, for me fuel injection just wasn't an option i wanted on this type of machine, neither independent susp. as i don't want to fly on a machine like this (motor/dirtbikes i use for higher speed applications)...get a foreman 500 footshift with eps (2008/2009) and don't look back, throw the ricochet skid plates and benz silent ride muffler and some heated grips and some maxxis bighorns (stock size!) and its perfect long term bombproof set up...just like mine :)

grinr
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Remember when a 200 Big Red was the catsazz and the biggest machine in the woods?They hauled plenty'o moose out,albeit in 2 halves.....and prior to to those days,ATC 110 drug out alot of 1/4s.
So what's my point??
I guess I just kick outta all the armchair experts that claim you NEED this or you NEED that,or that you need xxx cc's cuz a 350 Honda is too small(350 Hondas are known to be bulletproof btw,had 9000+ km on mine when I sold it,drag 1/2 moose no problem)
......jest sayin'

Walleyes
12-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Remember when a 200 Big Red was the catsazz and the biggest machine in the woods?They hauled plenty'o moose out,albeit in 2 halves.....and prior to to those days,ATC 110 drug out alot of 1/4s.
So what's my point??
I guess I just kick outta all the armchair experts that claim you NEED this or you NEED that,or that you need xxx cc's cuz a 350 Honda is too small(350 Hondas are known to be bulletproof btw,had 9000+ km on mine when I sold it,drag 1/2 moose no problem)
......jest sayin'

Lol,, in 1980 my father bought our first ATV,, a 185 Honda trike.. Man we thought we had it.. I remember we started going way back in the bush,, 5 miles,, darn we used to pack a lunch to go that far lol. It was a heck of a change from packin them out on yer back I'll tell you.. Dad also bought a trailer with floaters on it at the same time. We used to put 2, 1/4's in the tub at a time and haul out the moose. Goin in we had a bench seat that sat across the wheel wells that I rode on,, no darn padding just a plank, but I was happy to have it, it was that or walk. One thing about those old trikes though,, they could cross skeg, they were so light and big rubber they just floated across and easy to get out when you did get stuck.

Yah I'm not big on all this big power now a days. Happy with my old 450. I think next year I am going for a newer one. Not new either,, let them young rich kids buy em new, I'm just a poor old consultant. I'll let someone else pay the depresheasion and I'll buy it used. The boy has a 500 Honda,, I like that bike more power than is needed for what we use them for..

surface2feather
12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
With all do respect,, Polaris's should be outlawed in the bush.. Those things are so unbeleivbly loud its unreal.. There were a couple fellows using them this fall where I was deer hunting and I couldn't beleive it,, they could not get far enough away from a person and it was like they were on top of you all day.. I mean it,, those quads would be 2 or 3 miles away and it was like they were a couple hundred yards.. I wouldn't have one of those pieces of junk in my yard.. I warned my boys,, if they ever buy one of those damn machines they will never hunt with me..

Do everyone a favour,, sell it..

No offense taken Walleyes, but I don't find the quad loud. It's all factory still. Maybe that helps. Also I don't ride around with it pinned all day either. I won't be selling mine any time soon as long as it holds together. Performance-wise I just am too impressed. And the ride is unreal after driving a Honda. It certainly won't beat the Honda for reliability, but that's probably it. And easier to get unstuck for sure.

moosehead7
12-19-2012, 04:30 PM
go with a honda can't beat them I own two of them they both run like a champ one is a 2003 with 10 000kms on it and still fires up and the other is a 2006 with 7500 on it never had a single issue with either one of them and they still have the origanal tires on both , I push snow with no problems they are both 350s well worth the money

jungleboy
12-19-2012, 04:43 PM
So what's my point??
......jest sayin'

LOL ya but back then you could kill a deer with a 3030 too no that you need a 300 weatherby for the deer ,it stands to reason you need a 1000 cc machine to drag it out:thinking-006:

Walleyes
12-19-2012, 04:52 PM
No offense taken Walleyes, but I don't find the quad loud. It's all factory still. Maybe that helps. Also I don't ride around with it pinned all day either. I won't be selling mine any time soon as long as it holds together. Performance-wise I just am too impressed. And the ride is unreal after driving a Honda. It certainly won't beat the Honda for reliability, but that's probably it. And easier to get unstuck for sure.

Yah maybe.. I did meet them one day and the machines were 850's I know that,, but they may have had pipes on them can't say for sure.. But I do know they were bloody loud,, I mean like very anoyingly loud.

Mike_W
12-19-2012, 05:00 PM
HOLA !!! that bike is wayyy to pretty for me.. I would be scared to scratch that perrty thing..

Ah common that's like saying your gf is to pretty to.......ride!

grinr
12-19-2012, 05:50 PM
LOL ya but back then you could kill a deer with a 3030 too no that you need a 300 weatherby for the deer ,it stands to reason you need a 1000 cc machine to drag it out:thinking-006:

LOL....too true.

trainerdave
12-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Have a botttom of the line 400 cc suzuki king quad,manual shift,no power steering and winch...had it for four or so years actually. No issues. High/low range, 2/4wd and have a rear seat with hand warmers for the Mrs. I put on the back. Runs for hours on a tank. If you want to save some cash get a smaller machine and get a trailer for the heavy dragging. I have filled my trailer full of sand and gravel when doing chores-likely 1/2 ton or so a couple of times. Took it real slow and easy. A trailer takes a lot of weight and much of the drag out of the equasion. I have pulled my boat and 3/4 ton truckbox trailer around with it. I am sure my 17' fiberglass with an old 75 johnson and trailer weigh a few pounds, probably more than a moose. A quad is very handy for shuttling trailers out of the way if you have limited storage; they use one at the service station to move cars in and out of the bays and clearing snow-Its an older quad so likely 500cc or less. The guys got tired of pushing cars and snow. Once you have a quad you will find it very difficult to get along without one.

Smokercraft
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Well, I ended up finding a good deal on a 2006 Can-Am 400 Outlander XT. Like the XT package (front and rear bush bumpers, hand guards and 2500 lb warn winch) was in pretty nice shape and had only 2200km on it.

Only had it out once so far, but had no problem hauling me, the finace the dog and our gear out on North Buck. Rides quite smooth too.

bat119
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a 2009 Artic cat 550 hemi, I put executioner tires on and its a tank! I really like the ground clearance pulls moose and pushes snow with ease.

thirty-30
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/470247_10151057625258385_46000480_o.jpg

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/265/2/7/this_old_honda_by_entropickitten-d5fkgr6.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/265/3/0/fall_colors__2_by_entropickitten-d5fkhgo.jpg

Turning 14 and still going fine. More than enough power for what I use it for. Drug out plenty of deer and moose on a trailer and still looks good doing it.

Will probably replace it this year, but the motor still has a lot of life left in it as does the rest of the bike.

Honda = <3

Sooner
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Time to uprade for me as well. The fence i have been sitting on is so worn. Honda Rubicon/500 foreman or a 650 Can am. 06 ish year. Being a honda guy, it feels weird thinking can am. After riding my buds 800 can ams, just love the frt diff lock, ride and power. Then my friend hauls out a huge moose with his Rubicon and says it had no problem with the loaded tub trailer. Mostly worried about breakdowns when im 15 kms back from the truck. What to do, what to do. Good info here.

vanhill
01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
My experance honda is the way to go if your wanting just one quad that's realiable. I have a 500 honda and a 660 grizzly I like the griz but I have a little more faith in my honda.

scrapper
01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Less than 500 is great for girls and old men. They will all tell you stories about how they pulled a moose through the gates of hell with their 420. The stark reality is there is no substitute for power, if you buy one of those little machines you will be disappointed. Always, repeat always buy the most powerful quad you can afford, the 650 will do anything the 450 can do but the 450 cannot do the same thing as the 650. For example the 450 will never drive after market tires, 450 is an entry level machine for girls and old men.

Stinky Coyote
01-09-2013, 08:41 PM
lay off the sauce young man

thestalkingwolf
01-10-2013, 06:50 AM
good advice here... whats a reasonable price range for starter Honda midrange quad. used of course.

scrapper
01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
lay off the sauce young man

Young man, I wish, just turned 54. My quad is a 1000 cc, I have had those little 420's 500's, never again there is quite simply no substitute for the power of a big bore. I find it quite funny when people say they can do anything with a 420 that people can do with big bore power. Wrong!

58thecat
01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I run two Honda Fourtrax 350cc fully manual, talked to a dealer as to why they stopped making these machines and the answer was simple" you buy it and we never see you again" exactly! they are bullet proof and no money made in shop time due to breakdowns etc. Mine (04) has 8000kms and the wifes (05) 4000kms on it, hauled two moose out, many deer and never had a problem. Routine maintenance and they just keep working....:sHa_shakeshout:

scrapper
01-10-2013, 11:43 AM
good advice here... whats a reasonable price range for starter Honda midrange quad. used of course.

Used quads are cheap, Kijiji Alberta has hundreds listed. My advice is buy the max cc you can afford, buy a fuel injected machine, make sure you have winches on both ends, a rear winch is an absolute must. Don't get hung up on one brand, I have owned Honda, Polaris and AC, in my opinion the lightest duty machine was the Honda the badest most durable is the AC. You should be able to buy a great machine for under 5K.

weedcatcher
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I have 2 Arctic Cat quads. One a 700 and one a 550. When I go hunting I almost always have the 550 with me, because the 700 is more tricked out for trail riding. The 550 has dragged out elk with no problem. The low range and 4 wheel diff lock coupled with the great clearance and bearclaw tires makes it hard to stop this beast.

If I were limited to about $4000 to buy a quad for hunting, I'd look at kijiji. There's lots of good options.

But the next NEW quad I'll buy will be a Can AM. probably 800cc's. THose things can fly.

Elkaholic6
01-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Honestly, if you want reliability go Honda. I have a 2004 Foreman 450 with 15,000 kilometers, and I've rode that thing through hell and back. Drowned it in a river and still runs strong. I have a Bruteforce too, and if I'm going to play I'll use it. But that 450 will out work it any day. When you're 30 km into the bush, the last thing you wanna do is blow a belt. And it happens all the time. Honda's have plenty of power to skid a moose/elk out, and you don't have to worry about breaking down! Take that from someone who rides the living crap out of his machines. And has skidded many moose out of cutblocks.

rembo
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brent_reid

Brent

Is it blue in color?

I had a blue 300 4x4 , my brother had a red one,...mine was always better on gas....:-)

they're both gone now...replaced by Rubicons...red ones...they don't make a blue Rubicon.

I have two 2008 Rubicons, my brother has a 2006 and a friend has a 2007. They all go well over 90Km on a tank. They are all red,....wonder what a blue one would do on a tank of fuel?

I've owned 6 different quads since '92, had three at once back in the 90's when my kids were smaller.

The selection of a quad for hunting is way over analyzed. I remember seeing pics of a friend with a 125cc trike pulling a small trailer holding a deer and the guys wife in the 80's. In 1992 a friend and I bought two new Kawasaki 220's...used them a ton for years. We skidded a medium sized bull moose about 150 yards with one of them up near the Kakwa one year. I pulled a 5x5 elk in a trailer out with mine at the Cutbank River in 2000.

Any 350 or bigger 4x4 will serve the average hunter just fine.

and, I've had Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda machines, they all work.

The only thing that's over analyzed as much as quad selection is rifle cartridge selection. Just get a rifle and some wheels and hit the bush............it's simple really.

Kale_M
01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
To the OP,

Have you ever considered a side by side? The Polaris razar xp is a sweet machine, maybe a bit pricey though

Elkaholic6
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
To the OP,

Have you ever considered a side by side? The Polaris razar xp is a sweet machine, maybe a bit pricey though

Sweet, really sweet. But not much of a bush machine. Huge a-arms and axles. Stumps eat them up all day.

Kale_M
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Sweet, really sweet. But not much of a bush machine. Huge a-arms and axles. Stumps eat them up all day.

We have pulled out 2 bulls elk with my buddies razar and it worked great! The one we had to get way down into a valley to get out and I thought it was going to be impossible but it did it no problem! Smashed over everything! Here is where we had to winch out of with and elk all cut up on the back rack

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Kale_M/42a1162b652b6cd506fc555aa42fcac4.jpg

roger
01-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Whatever you get for a quad, get a auto trans. Id never buy a manual transmission in anything car truck quad or boat.
Focus on driving not picking gears or pretending your in a kenworth !

Elkaholic6
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
We have pulled out 2 bulls elk with my buddies razar and it worked great! The one we had to get way down into a valley to get out and I thought it was going to be impossible but it did it no problem! Smashed over everything! Here is where we had to winch out of with and elk all cut up on the back rack

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Kale_M/42a1162b652b6cd506fc555aa42fcac4.jpg

You said XP haha. I own a RZR myself, and they're sweet machines for sure. Put a clutch kit it in and its unreal. Stiffer springs and a lift and it's unstoppable now :sHa_shakeshout:

killer18
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the advice

have a 2007 yamaha 700 grizzly for sale. 1400km like new . its the silver tip addition, all four wheel lock up,heated grips,winch. 7000$

killer18
01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=killer18;1795551]have a 2007 yamaha 700 grizzly for sale. 1400km like new . its the silver tip addition, all four wheel lock up,heated grips,winch. efi, power steering 7000$

top predator
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Wife had a 450 Kodiak with independant rear sus. Thing was bulletproof, never spent a dollar on it in 3 years. She drives like it was stolen (french)

top predator
01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
another thing i do to my atv/sidexside is add the benz silent rider exhaust and with a simple quad with footshift and big factory muffler like the foreman 500...it is the quietest machine on the trail, no cvt whine or noise, its stealthy stealthy, not the fastest comfiest thing but imo these are stubby little 4x4's that need to go at speeds that suit the ride and stubby little 4x4's shouldn't be flying imo, i wanted lowest center of gravity, solid rear axle, carb, it doesn't matter how long it sits, how cold, i picked the ride that you will get running period, has a back up recoil starter should the battery have died in long sit, for me fuel injection just wasn't an option i wanted on this type of machine, neither independent susp. as i don't want to fly on a machine like this (motor/dirtbikes i use for higher speed applications)...get a foreman 500 footshift with eps (2008/2009) and don't look back, throw the ricochet skid plates and benz silent ride muffler and some heated grips and some maxxis bighorns (stock size!) and its perfect long term bombproof set up...just like mine :)

As an owner of many different machines i will say that big bore fue injected machines (sleds, quads, etc.) more than likely won't start past -26C or so (IMO). They need help...lol. Thid is definetly a bad point of new technology...

top predator
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/470247_10151057625258385_46000480_o.jpg

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/265/2/7/this_old_honda_by_entropickitten-d5fkgr6.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/265/3/0/fall_colors__2_by_entropickitten-d5fkhgo.jpg

Turning 14 and still going fine. More than enough power for what I use it for. Drug out plenty of deer and moose on a trailer and still looks good doing it.

Will probably replace it this year, but the motor still has a lot of life left in it as does the rest of the bike.

Honda = <3

With a gun like that no wonder you cant buy another machine...lol:)

Bigmountainrider
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
A 06 or older Honda 500 Foreman should sell for less that $5000 used

Stinky Coyote
01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
As an owner of many different machines i will say that big bore fue injected machines (sleds, quads, etc.) more than likely won't start past -26C or so (IMO). They need help...lol. Thid is definetly a bad point of new technology...

a main reason both my fuelies are sold, the king quad 450i had trouble near -20 and i didn't have any trouble with the rhino 700 down to about -22 to -23 which is all i tested it too but i can't really nock the rhino, i just didn't need it, it was a helluva machine and started well in the cold at least up to those temps i mentioned, the king quad...no thanks, after playing with the toys and for how little i use them....i now have what is perfect for my needs, it will go when i want it to go, it will sit long periods without use, it won't cost me a lick, i'm all done quad shopping for a couple decades or more ;)....at least until the kids decide they need something to ride besides two wheel stuff

The Rog Man
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I asked myself the very same question in 2006 when i bought a quad.
I got alot of input and some very good info from friends and this site.
After all was said and done i chose the Honda Foreman 500 and I don't regret it for a second.
It can haul a moose out of the bush no problem.It can haul my 250 pound carcass no problem. It isn't the fastest machine out there by any means but i wasn't looking for a speed machine i was looking for a work horse.
I did put a 2 inch lift kit and bigger tires on it and I had honda put a kit in the carb for me but it is the best decision i made for what i needed out of a quad i think.It's quick and tough enough to go play in the mud with and definately tough enough to hunt with. I had no preference on model and such when i bought it but now i am definately convinced when it's - 20 outside and i go to start her up in the morning.no bells and whistles just a good reliable machine.
Thats my three bitts werth..

rog

58thecat
01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
66104 I think we got our priorities all wrong, this is what my Quad can haul, take , handle and I like it that way...nice and warm!:)