PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun. POLL Skin mount vs reproduction

BeeGuy
12-18-2012, 09:15 AM
This may have been done before, I don't know.

But here is a poll to make your choice about whether you prefer a skin mount or a reproduction.

I don't have any taxi'd fish, but I would want a skin mount for sure.

They may not age the way a reproduction does, but I think the aging is part of the charm.

Chime in with your experience, or your opinion, or pics if you care to.

Skin Mount!

Jamie Black R/T
12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Skin mount for sure.

id only do a repro on a fish i legally had to release.

Replicas typically look nothing like the original fish and the cost is outrageous for them to not get it exact IMO.

fishpro
12-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Replica for sure. I've had both done and the replica was way better. On the skin mount the fish came back about 2 inches shorter than what it actually was, had poor shape, and colour wise it looked absolutely nothing like the fish I caught (I emailed pictures but the taxidermist said those only go to his daughter).

jacenbeers
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I love skin mounts. A replica just doesn't seem the same and isn't true taxidermy. I have seen some pretty old skin mounts that still look really nice if they are taken care of appropriately. Sometimes the fins are cracked or chipped but other than that, they usually stand the test of time.

EZM
12-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I have a number of skin mounts and they are getting ratty over time. I think it's better to take a bunch of pictures, take some measurements and let the big one swim away.

Replicas are getting better and better as more quality places begin to perfect them.

You can always frame a photo or two under the replica on your wall.

Fishnafterwork
12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Replica

Fishfinder
12-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Oops, voted skin, meant replica, finger faster then brain haha. My bad. Unless mermaid, skin er all the way.:thinking-006:

BeeGuy
12-18-2012, 08:47 PM
If I got a skin mount, it wouldn't be of a massive lunker either.

Probably just a nice specimen, with good body condition in the 16-22" range.

Not interested in putting a 40" laker, or pike on the wall.

My uncle has a Bow River Brown skin mount from about 25 years ago, and it still looks awesome.

Alberta Bigbore
12-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Replica so I can eat the fish!!! :bad_boys_20:

Bow flyman
12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I have two skin mounts from long ago. A brown caught in 1992, and a laker from 1985. I like both of them, as they are the largest of each species I have caught. I no longer have any desire to mount any trophy fish. The only exception would be a rainbow trout from somewhere like Kootenay lake, if it was large enough.

Fishingaddict
12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
What does it cost to get one of these done?

WayneChristie
12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
only 2 fish Id get mounted, both would be skin, a new record pike or a 20 pound walleye. both would be very near the end of their lifecycle anyways, and a replica mount could be had by anyone, who's to say they actually caught the fish it was based on. If I wanted a plastic fish Id go fishing at Toys R us. just my opinion, dont like it, dont read it. :fighting0074:

BeeGuy
12-18-2012, 11:07 PM
only 2 fish Id get mounted, both would be skin, a new record pike or a 20 pound walleye. both would be very near the end of their lifecycle anyways, and a replica mount could be had by anyone, who's to say they actually caught the fish it was based on. If I wanted a plastic fish Id go fishing at Toys R us. just my opinion, dont like it, dont read it. :fighting0074:

I see sword fish mounts on kijiji pretty regularly.

Huge and expensive. Isn't long before someone is telling you to get rid of it!

That's why I wouldn't want a giant fish mount in my home. Too much space.

I'd be happy to have it displayed in a public place however as an alternative.

Gust
12-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I picked skin for two reasons; a friends brother was a fine taxidermist and I think there is an art in reanimating (for lack of better word) a once living thing. It was fascinating watching him at his craft as there was little room for mistake.

Second reason, is anyone can pull down a photo and claim a fish as their own,, so skin says it's yer baby in my most humble and modest opinion.

I dont have a mounted anything.

TheLegend
12-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I prefer a nice high quality pic taken with a Canon SLR, then touched up a bit in Aperture then framed on the wall.

BeeGuy
12-19-2012, 03:08 PM
I prefer a nice high quality pic taken with a Canon SLR, then touched up a bit in Aperture then framed on the wall.

What is aperture? Image editing software.

Guys gotta ease off the vibrancy and saturation. Fish are not flourescent. Looks ridiculous.

lone wolf
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
As I type this, I am looking up at a replica mount of a 50lb chinook salmon my father had made by Gander & Sons (Vancouver) in 2000 after a trip to Rivers Inlet. The workmanship, level of detail, colours and realism are unsurpassed IMO. It looks as good at the day it was made. Although 12 years old there is no fading, cracking or other noticeable deterioration.

In an interesting side note the mount was originally shipped to Ireland, and recently made the return trip Canada as part of my late father's estate. I am confident that it will outlast me and become a family heirloom. I doubt the same could be said if my father had had a skin mount made.

pikeslayer22
12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Skin