PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun lake

demolition101
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Why are all the limits on wabamun lake 0?

EZM
12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
1) Oil spill a few years back

2) Too close to City (massive fishing pressure)

3) Because it makes that lake Chuck Norris awesome (lot's of very nice sized fish in there).

demolition101
12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Oil spill was more than a few years back. And I can see the fishing pressure is probably high now, but no limits on any species? That's a huge lake, and I don't believe it's that over pressured. Granted I hadn't been there in over a year, so it may have changed in that time.

EZM
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
The funny thing is, on Wab you might see maybe a dozen boats fishing out there during the day and maybe 30-40 on the weekend.

I would bet, if there was a limit, the number of guys out there would drastically increase.

That would ruin the fishery in my opinion as Wabamun has so much shoreline development, the amount of suitable habitat is much less than a lake of similar size elsewhere. Lakes of that size and would normally have alot more weedlines to support forage species.

I, for one, would never support that lake becoming a "keep" fishery.

The quality of fishing is so good, I'd venture to say it's probably in the province's top 5 lakes in terms of catch rates, size of fish etc.... and it's 30 minutes from the city limits (and a million or so people).

It would be a shame to ruin it.

pechetr
12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Hope they never reopen it. I would rather go out and C&R some really nice sized fish than go out and get nothing.

Wild&Free
12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I like the fact that there is a C&R only fishery so close to the city. Far better then a lake that produces high quality pike like some of the photo's I've seen being fished to the point where the biggest fish is just over the minimum retention limit.

Walleye101
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Agree'd. Wabamun is a superb fishery that should be left alone. Let's see mother nature work it's course and truly see what an Alberta lake is cabable of producing.

EZM
12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
I like the fact that there is a C&R only fishery so close to the city. Far better then a lake that produces high quality pike like some of the photo's I've seen being fished to the point where the biggest fish is just over the minimum retention limit.

I think the size is still good but, admittedly, they are getting smaller since the hot water is gone.

You don't see photos or posts from the guys who are really, what I'd say, are the best fishermen (most successful) on the lake. There are lots of guys who take multiple photos of the same 4-5lber, but they are, when looking at the background in the photo, not in the right spot. I have yet to see a 10lber from a guy who, will remain nameless, posts 14,000 photos every day he's out there.

A few of us just simply don't post photos anymore. To many guys getting jumped on for muddy fish, fingers in the gills, not supporting the belly etc.....

There are still some big girls in there.

Wabamun should never be anything but C&R ..... it's too good to ruin.

ZeeFishing
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree with you guys that it should stay C&R. if it was to re-open it would get destroyed so fast and that would truly be sad. And I agree that there still is many unfound trophy’s.
Is there any way we can make sure Wab stays C&R?

Wild&Free
12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
I think the size is still good but, admittedly, they are getting smaller since the hot water is gone.

You don't see photos or posts from the guys who are really, what I'd say, are the best fishermen (most successful) on the lake. There are lots of guys who take multiple photos of the same 4-5lber, but they are, when looking at the background in the photo, not in the right spot. I have yet to see a 10lber from a guy who, will remain nameless, posts 14,000 photos every day he's out there.

A few of us just simply don't post photos anymore. To many guys getting jumped on for muddy fish, fingers in the gills, not supporting the belly etc.....

Remember that link to the story of a trip on the Sutton River in N. Ontario. Guys were catching brookies by the boat load and the guy who wrote the story held 90% of his fish by the gills and not a single person ever said a peep about that. On this forum(as I recall) or the one it originated from. I think some AO fisherman are over protective of the fisheries here and I don't blame them, 800'000 licences for 900 bodies of water. Of course AO only represents a small portion of the anglers in the province they don't represent the majorities opinion. So many times when talking about fishing the tale of "shore lunch" vs C&R is an all too frequent story.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of anglers here who do post photo's of improper handling do so to get a quick picture, get the hook out and get the fish back in asap. That's my MO. I try to snap shots of the fish still in the water before landing, but sometimes that's hard to do one handed as I fish solo more then I like. I've refained from taking many Ice fishing shots for this reason, as for the most part it would be a fish laying on the ice beside some peice of my gear for size reference and that is very poor handling technique while C&R on the ice. Frozen/snowy gills = dead feesh :( I'm still guilty of doing it though, it was a nice rainbow I had to share with ya guys.

As to the Best Fisherman comment, he's not on AO, and chances are has never been online except when his grandkids showed him a video on youtube.

edit for spelling

thorne
12-18-2012, 03:03 PM

you are on the right path there, but Ill drop this little bit. Me and a good very well know buddy of mine fish that body of water quite often, and on our last expedition half of the pike we landed were over 12 lbs. i have been fishing there for over 14 years and I can very easily say since the closure the pike are getting larger and healthier. The power plant closure will only have a POSITIVE affect on size of pike not reduce the size. the hot water was screwing up the spawning of feeder fish which pike feed on. now that the plant is closed those numbers are going to start bouncing back, those more feed, thus bigger, fatter, healthier pike. every year for the past 5 at least i can say without hesitation the frequency i pull double 10lb+ fish out of there is increasing quickly. 5 years ago if I pulled 1, 10+ out per 5 trips out, i was doing good. in the last year if I have averaged at least 1 over 10 per trip, and are seeing a lot more in the 15lb+ range. So there it is, ya I and many don't post many pics, cause it just leads to a bunch of na sayers, or do we blabber about it much more on the forum, but they are there. Its a damn fine fishery, and yea i personally hope it stays C&R, but thats me. BTW there are lots of guys who fish that lake that are not on the forum who fish Wab lots, and I have chatted with quite a few, and there have been some total hogs which almost make me second guess swimming in there, but they dont feel the need to brag or show of to the world either, but the pictures on their phones speak for themselves...anyway awsome fishing to be had, if you havent tried it yet give it a go! It still takes some effort to get em, but at least you know they are there...up to 28lbs proven, and probably past.

Lefty-Canuck
12-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Oil spill was more than a few years back. And I can see the fishing pressure is probably high now, but no limits on any species? That's a huge lake, and I don't believe it's that over pressured. Granted I hadn't been there in over a year, so it may have changed in that time.

I have heard there is limited/low recruitment (ie. fish in that lake are poor spawners)

That is why it is a 0 limit lake.

LC

thorne
12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I have heard there is limited/low recruitment (ie. fish in that lake are poor spawners)

That is why it is a 0 limit lake.

LC

Never heard that one....makes sence since I have NEVER caught a pike in wab less the 4 lbs....ok maybe 1 or 2 but thats it. Cool point.....is that tied in with the screwed up spawning due to teh warm water from the power plant? I know that is was a factor the fisheries guy was explaining to me....? very curious now..Thanks Lefty! Love a good PoV!

Lefty-Canuck
12-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Never heard that one....makes sence since I have NEVER caught a pike in wab less the 4 lbs....ok maybe 1 or 2 but thats it. Cool point.....is that tied in with the screwed up spawning due to teh warm water from the power plant? I know that is was a factor the fisheries guy was explaining to me....? very curious now..Thanks Lefty! Love a good PoV!

Have a read at this thread... :) .....its one you started :)

Check post #41, QIsley states this.....I tend to agree with him.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123523&highlight=wabamun+recruitment&page=2

LC

thorne
12-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Have a read at this thread... :) .....its one you started :)

Check post #41, QIsley states this.....I tend to agree with him.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123523&highlight=wabamun+recruitment&page=2

LC

OK....Thats not embarrasing......alright maybe i did hear that befor, kinda took it in a different context just now...or Im getting old.....regardless good point old chap!!

Lefty-Canuck
12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
OK....Thats not embarrasing......alright maybe i did hear that befor, kinda took it in a different context just now...or Im getting old.....regardless good point old chap!!

It is all good man.....what is more sad... that I remembered that thread? or that you forgot it? :)

LC

thorne
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
It is all good man.....what is more sad... that I remembered that thread? or that you forgot it? :)

LC

No Its on me...it is a very relivent link for the OP, and im sure it will provide him with lots of info regarding the questions he had, BTW that was a good one!

K enough derailing, be it the spill, or the fish in Wabamun dont want to fornicate, or combination of both.....is the basic reasoning for the C&R only regs....maybe.....

Don Meredith
12-21-2012, 05:50 AM
ESRD Fisheries Biologist Stephen Spencer has made a couple of presentations to the Wabamun Watershed Management Council om the status of the fisheries at Wabamun Lake. I've posted on my blog a piece (http://bit.ly/Vf1Oz5) I wrote for the Alberta Outdoorsmen about what he said, including why it's still catch and release, the mercury problem, walleye reintroduction and what the future might be. BTW Stephen would be the guy to let know what you feel about C&R at the lake. Keeping C&R at least for large pike is on the table.

FYI,

Don

Gilligan
12-21-2012, 01:53 PM
40 minutes from my house and I'm in the water ( or ice ) and its
pavement right to the launch !!!!! Lots of Fish... lots of fun.
I hope they keep it catch and release so that it will always produce
great results. The Launch Fee is a great deal for anyone who likes
to keep off the gravel.... have a well kept launch including a Dock !

I'm a huge fan of this Lake.... I hope they don't change a thing !!

wetchimo
12-21-2012, 09:55 PM
The funny thing is, on Wab you might see maybe a dozen boats fishing out there during the day and maybe 30-40 on the weekend.

I would bet, if there was a limit, the number of guys out there would drastically increase.

That would ruin the fishery in my opinion as Wabamun has so much shoreline development, the amount of suitable habitat is much less than a lake of similar size elsewhere. Lakes of that size and would normally have alot more weedlines to support forage species.

I, for one, would never support that lake becoming a "keep" fishery.

The quality of fishing is so good, I'd venture to say it's probably in the province's top 5 lakes in terms of catch rates, size of fish etc.... and it's 30 minutes from the city limits (and a million or so people).

It would be a shame to ruin it.
X2:happy0034:

thorne
12-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I was out there yesterday, and in 1 hole, I caught pike, perch, and white fish...and it was the largest white I have ever seen....oh and I did get it recorded on video. It was awsome to watch all the different species interacting on the screen at once. There was one time in panning over 90 degree I spotted and recorded shiners, perch, pike, and white fish...soon hopefully I can add walleye to the mix. Last year i did have burbot as well. It's an awsome place where you can see all this..all within 40 minutes of the city. An amazing resource so easily accessible to a lot of people. Would be a shame to spoil it..lots of Southern areas have costal marine preserves so there is a place for people to enjoy an area in as close to natural state as possible....why can't we do this here for Wabamun?

.I'll try and get the latest video posted ASAP...maybe even some music this time.......

Monster Pike Man
12-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I was talking to the C.O that patrolls Wabamun last year and he said they were taking Walleye from Alberta Beach to put in Wabamun. I've only caught one walleye from Wabamun and it was the size of my middle finger. I hope Wabamun stays catch and release forever.