PDA

View Full Version : US to put the African Lion on the endangered list.

ditch donkey
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
While on another forum, I came across a thread about the US putting the lion on the endangered list. Below is a reply by a fellow named Louis Van Bergan, who is a South African safari outfitter. I think alot of what he has said can relate to Albertas hunting community.

Good day gentleman

I have been in contact with numerous friends who breed lion and as far as we know lions or the hunting of them would not be closing however US Fish and Wildlife will no doubt stop issuing cities permits making it illegal to export lion in to the US. This is not likely to happen next year but I do expect US Fish and Wildlife to stop issuing cities permits on lion within the next two years.

This will no doubt be to the detriment of our lion populations none will be effected more so than our wild lion populations plus not being able to export lion to the US will defiantly cause South Africa to cut back on the breeding of lions. The lion bone trade is a very real threat to ALL LIONS! With a constant supply of captive bread lion bones being possibly cut in have at the very least (please note that I do not agree with the lion bone trade nor do I support it but I am afraid it does exist and there is a big market for these bones, we have to be real about it) all the pressure will fall on our wild lion populations. We would no doubt see a lot of lions being pouched all over Africa in Nature Reserves and Game Management Area's!

It is a simply questions of supply and demand, the demand is currently there and having less lion bones around will no doubt raise the price of the supply making it worth while for poachers to take the big risk of pouching in our National Parks and other wild areas?

To add to the problem poachers do not pouch according to a quota, nor do they care if the animal is mature or not, they would also use methods like snaring, poison and other forms of trapping since they are a bunch of scared spineless idiots!

This will also help insure that other animals also get snared, trapped or poisoned just as an example leopards but don't worry those bones will be exported to Asia as well?

It is funny how we have had the discussion hunting wild vs captive bread lions for years now. The majority of us could never agree on the topic the irony is, look where we are heading now thanks to standing divided on the topic, lion hunting will no doubt close for our US clients at the very least and the lion populations of Africa will be under pressure more than ever!

I am afraid the fact that we as hunters can not even tolerate or respect each others choices has left the door open for the greenies to ensure the the King of Africa will be nothing more than a tame zoo animal and a great memory for the few who were ever fortunate enough to experience hunting a lion be it wild or captive bread?

This is very very sad news for hunters and the lion populations all over Africa!

Ryry4
12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Very unfortunate to see this happen. Between this and the pending closure of all hunting in Botswana I don't see good things happening for the wildlife population in Africa.

sheephunter
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
The price of lion hunts will definitely drop. Very similar to what's happened with Marco Polo, Polar bear...etc. Another reason I'm happy that I live in Canada.

pikergolf
12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm missing something, if there is such a big demand for bones why would SA cut back on breeding because the US puts lions on the endangered list?

sheephunter
12-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm missing something, if there is such a big demand for bones why would SA cut back on breeding because the US puts lions on the endangered list?

I'm guessing the bones are a secondary market from the hunting or lions....not where the real money is.

Ryry4
12-18-2012, 02:04 PM

They won't be importable into the US, dropping demand for the hunts.

mcreg
12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I agree lion hunt prices will likely drop, but I also believe it will only be for a short time. Yes. the American`s do a lot of hunting BUT so do the rest of the world. Europeans buy as many (if not more) lion hunts than Americans and now the affluient Asians are getting into hunting.
Lower prices & the lower American $$$ can only mean an opportunity for us Canadians. But again I don`t think it will last long.
Botswana closing its`doors is a much greater threat.
Just my thoughts......

Grizzly Adams
12-21-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing the bones are a secondary market from the hunting or lions....not where the real money is.

They breed lions for bones ? That would seem to say these are Farm hunts, behind fences. Then, what do they do with the bones ? Thinking oriental medicine here, which seems a **** poor market to base the survival of a species on.

All that aside, gotta remember always a lot of behind the scenes politics here, just like elephants and Polar bears. Some source claims they're endangered and the evidence indicates some places are overrun with them.

Grizz