PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sundance Perch

Sundancefisher
12-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Finally the ice is thick enough to start catching perch at Lake Sundance. The first outing last minute on Sunday had 40 perch in 2.5 hours. Unfortunately it was a school of 5 inchers.

Still the biggies are there...just need to thin out a ton of little ones.

Caught and released a few rainbows.

archercurt
12-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Man I would love to hit sundance for an afternoon.... Too bad for me I guess lol. Good job on the rainbows!

pickrel pat
12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Man I would love to hit sundance for an afternoon.... Too bad for me I guess lol. Good job on the rainbows!

Are you beating around the bush? Lol.

gr8tbigkid
12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
sounds like he is beating around the lake ..lololol:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sundancefisher
12-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Why so violent just before Christmas? :)

I and others in the community like getting others out fishing. I tend to like warmer days. Without a tent and heater this weekend is looking bad.

zipper lip creek
12-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't mind a heads up. On that
Just me and my pops,,thin some perch out.
We wanna head out to chain ,,south,,soon,,
Am told i can catch a fish out of a mu puddle

BeeGuy
12-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Uh oh.

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.

This weekend you can expect 300 dodge dualies on the lake and me and my buddies coming in on a Bell Jet Ranger III for a run and gun.

What's the limit on perch in there anyhow:thinking-006:

Couldnt find it in the regs

Much flood ice?:thinking-006:

It'll be interesting to see if the cull continues to slowly increase the mean size or if it plateaus rather quickly.

pickrel pat
12-19-2012, 08:16 AM
might just gather up my gear and jump in a taxi,,,,, lol.

archercurt
12-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Are you beating around the bush? Lol.

Haha maybe....:thinking-006: I have some friends from airdrie who's kids would LOVE it. But it's tough if you don't know anyone from the community. Sundance are you planning an outing for AO members to come cull some perch again this year?

Sundancefisher
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Haha maybe....:thinking-006: I have some friends from airdrie who's kids would LOVE it. But it's tough if you don't know anyone from the community. Sundance are you planning an outing for AO members to come cull some perch again this year?

I and others for sure will get people out fishing for them delicious...sometimes little perch.

It would be nice if the weather cooperates.

Sundancefisher
12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Uh oh.

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.

This weekend you can expect 300 dodge dualies on the lake and me and my buddies coming in on a Bell Jet Ranger III for a run and gun.

What's the limit on perch in there anyhow:thinking-006:

Couldnt find it in the regs

Much flood ice?:thinking-006:

It'll be interesting to see if the cull continues to slowly increase the mean size or if it plateaus rather quickly.

Perch is limited to 2 dualies full.

No flood ice as of yet. There is some snow amassing on the surface so some compressional effects could start if we get more snow.

I am thinking to effectively work the cull I would like to use a beach seine during the open water and sweep whole schools out at once.

Hopefully anyone thinking of putting perch in a man made or stocked pot hole lake can see what damage a bucket can do in a short period of time.

Fishingaddict
12-19-2012, 05:02 PM
When would this be ice fishing season or open water and what month if you know that fair ahead.

archercurt
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I and others for sure will get people out fishing for them delicious...sometimes little perch.

It would be nice if the weather cooperates.

I can provide a couple shacks!!

Fishingaddict
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
My dad and I might have to see if we could come down one day if its alright. Really like perch:sHa_shakeshout:

ogre
12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Hey Sun, I'd definitely be in for a perch icefishing event like you did every year. Give me a heads up and I'll be there :)

Fishingaddict
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
What is the limit of perch at sundance?

goldscud
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Lake Sundance, Calgary...perch limit is unlimited/infinity...kill them all!!!!

Rememe
12-19-2012, 09:52 PM
dont understand why they dont introduce some pikes to control perch...:thinking-006:

archercurt
12-19-2012, 09:55 PM
What is the limit of perch at sundance?

There is no limit as it is a private pond, check out some of sundance previous threads. Perch where illegally introduced and now are over running the lake.

hit_theice
12-19-2012, 10:03 PM
dont understand why they dont introduce some pikes to control perch...:thinking-006:

brown trout work fine too.

kevinhits
12-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Hey Sun, I'd definitely be in for a perch icefishing event like you did every year. Give me a heads up and I'll be there :)

x2

goldscud
12-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Illegal to stock pike. Besides, the goal was to have a trout lake

FishingMOM
12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Finally the ice is thick enough to start catching perch at Lake Sundance. The first outing last minute on Sunday had 40 perch in 2.5 hours. Unfortunately it was a school of 5 inchers.

Still the biggies are there...just need to thin out a ton of little ones.

Caught and released a few rainbows.

Nice Sun,
Now lets get this weather man to co-operate so the rest of us can join you in thinning out the schools of perch.

Stinky hasn't stopped bugging and I know if I miss a second winter I will never hear the end of it.

Question is do you need help again pulling up all them fish?

Sundancefisher
12-23-2012, 10:10 PM
never hurts to have some professionals catching perch. Caught about 70 today. Only one biggie though. Gotta clean a lot of little guys out so the biggies can get in there.

FishingMOM
12-30-2012, 03:07 PM
never hurts to have some professionals catching perch. Caught about 70 today. Only one biggie though. Gotta clean a lot of little guys out so the biggies can get in there.

When you having another open fishing day?

goldscud
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Lake is closed due to open cracks and soft spots

AK47
12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, disappointing, finally had a chance to fish today and it was no go. I guess derby on Saturday will be moved as well?

kevinhits
12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
That is so weird that after this cold snap that Lake Sundance is not very good and here in mahogany the kids are playing hockey....Just curious...

goldscud
12-30-2012, 06:17 PM
There's 10-12" of ice, but there is something weird happening with cracks and melting in certain areas. Not sure what the issue is. Some folks are skating on private rinks behind their houses. Hopefully no one has an accident

FishingMOM
12-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Lake is closed due to open cracks and soft spots

I recall that being an issue previous winters.
Usually closer to the clubhouse if memory serves me correctly.

Sundancefisher
12-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Near as I can tell there are pressure cracks opening up. The crack opens up and if wide enough initially allows water to flow up as the snow weighs the ice down. As water goes to the surface it gets soaked up by the snow adding more weight. More water flows to the surface. As the water below the ice is 4 degrees the flowing water can erode a lot of ice quickly.

The holes can form large over night.

This can also happen in natural lakes as well as pressure ridges can become cracks as wide as 3-4 meters.

FishingMOM
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Near as I can tell there are pressure cracks opening up. The crack opens up and if wide enough initially allows water to flow up as the snow weighs the ice down. As water goes to the surface it gets soaked up by the snow adding more weight. More water flows to the surface. As the water below the ice is 4 degrees the flowing water can erode a lot of ice quickly.

This can also happen in natural lakes as well as pressure ridges can become cracks as wide as 3-4 meters.

This was happening the last few winters correct?

DiabeticKripple
12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
id be in for thinning out the perch. i loved eating them this summer when i helped pull nets

BeeGuy
12-30-2012, 09:14 PM

x2

Ghost Res had a huge one last year.

Someone even tried to drive over it in a compact sedan.

fail

Sundancefisher
12-31-2012, 08:05 AM
This was happening the last few winters correct?

Yuppers