PDA

View Full Version : 2012 mulie

fast_pass88
12-19-2012, 12:25 AM
well seeing as i like to look at other guy's success stories, i figure i should post my own. 5 year wait got me drawn for this guy and on the 22nd i got him. hunted hard all season and passed up lots (30+) mule bucks, most of which were under 150". spent 10 days in the bush and finally crossed paths with this guy. i was still hunting down a cutline when this guy trotted out across a small slough. i could see he had pretty good mass and some stickers, but not a very large frame. i bleated at him and he stopped, giving me a head-on look. To me he looked like a pretty big bodied deer and his left ear was broken and was hanging down all floppy. i literally almost laughed as he reminded me of a big ol beat up football player. he wheeled around and started to go back to the bush he came from, but paused behind a small group of trees. i decided i better not let this guy pass by so as soon as he trotted out from behind the bush i put one in him and down he went. when i got up to him i quickly realized he was bigger then i thought, and way more character. He stunk like no other deer i've smelled before, there was a large open infection on the back side of his broken ear. he was blind in his right eye, which i think was because of a hole just below it that looked like an old infected wound from another antler poke. a busted off drop tine and a few other broken tips, and some blood clots/bruising on his hind end when we skinned him got me thinkin this guy was quite the fighter! thankfully my wife came to help me drag him 600yds out to the road, as the snow was too deep to drive in....which was a feat in itself! we got 115lbs of cut and wrapped meat off him (some bone-in steaks but mostly de-boned) i wish i could have got a weight of him on the hoof...does anyone know what a typical dressed-percentage of a deer is? i think steers are 48% or so, and don't imagine deer are that high
anyways, heres some pics. not the biggest frame, but kinda a cool ol buck!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/jordan_rachar/nov23031.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/jordan_rachar/nov23030.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/jordan_rachar/nov23023.jpg

fast_pass88
12-19-2012, 01:14 AM
whoa, my comp went screwy and posted 4 threads on this lol mods can we delete 3 pls? my bad...

HunterDave
12-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Great buck....congrats.

The antlers are so big that you needed 4 posts just to fit the picture of them in. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Hagalaz
12-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Congrats. :)

last minute
12-19-2012, 05:21 AM
well seeing as i like to look at other guy's success stories, i figure i should post my own. 5 year wait got me drawn for this guy and on the 22nd i got him. hunted hard all season and passed up lots (30+) mule bucks, most of which were under 150". spent 10 days in the bush and finally crossed paths with this guy. i was still hunting down a cutline when this guy trotted out across a small slough. i could see he had pretty good mass and some stickers, but not a very large frame. i bleated at him and he stopped, giving me a head-on look. To me he looked like a pretty big bodied deer and his left ear was broken and was hanging down all floppy. i literally almost laughed as he reminded me of a big ol beat up football player. he wheeled around and started to go back to the bush he came from, but paused behind a small group of trees. i decided i better not let this guy pass by so as soon as he trotted out from behind the bush i put one in him and down he went. when i got up to him i quickly realized he was bigger then i thought, and way more character. He stunk like no other deer i've smelled before, there was a large open infection on the back side of his broken ear. he was blind in his right eye, which i think was because of a hole just below it that looked like an old infected wound from another antler poke. a busted off drop tine and a few other broken tips, and some blood clots/bruising on his hind end when we skinned him got me thinkin this guy was quite the fighter! thankfully my wife came to help me drag him 600yds out to the road, as the snow was too deep to drive in....which was a feat in itself! we got 115lbs of cut and wrapped meat off him (some bone-in steaks but mostly de-boned) i wish i could have got a weight of him on the hoof...does anyone know what a typical dressed-percentage of a deer is? i think steers are 48% or so, and don't imagine deer are that high
anyways, heres some pics. not the biggest frame, but kinda a cool ol buck!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/jordan_rachar/nov23031.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/jordan_rachar/nov23030.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/jordan_rachar/nov23023.jpg

very nice:)

Springer
12-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Great Buck and Great Character! Congrats, your holding out for a bigger one paid off for you hey.

ceedub
12-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Now there's an old warrior, great deer! Congrats!

-Craig

bowtech3006
12-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Hell yes!! Awesome animal & love the field shots. Congratulations on your hunt, that buck is a toad.

H380
12-19-2012, 06:58 AM
thats why you hold out and don't shoot the little guys.. makes the 5 year waitworthwhile . Congrats on a great buck.

SugarCreek
12-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Thats a character buck.......congrats. I have skinned out a few deer with a "puss pocket" up by the ear...you are absolutely right......very very bad smelling.....almost enough to get you into dry heaves. Nicely done and great field photos......congrats again.......Marco

The Bit Runner.
12-19-2012, 07:26 AM
That is a very nice one. Good on you for holding out. GREAT field photo's!!
Thx for sharing!:)

goldscud
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Great reward for your patience! He's a cool old guy

brother1
12-19-2012, 08:04 AM
That's a really cool looking deer, lots of character, and an old warrior who's time was up. Nice post!

monstermulie
12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
what a cool buck, I think a buck like that is more of a trophy than a 190 typical just because its so neat.

Are you going to get it mounted and if so are you going to get the ear hanging down like it was in real life? that would be a conversation starter for sure

Ryry4
12-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Very cool looking deer.

bulletman
12-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Congrats on the awesome buck! An old warrior for sure!

swift1
12-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Gnarly buck, gotta like it. Congrats!

Bigwoodsman
12-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Incredible and Unique Buck. Great story on a fantastic trophy.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

BW

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Very kool, congrats

sakogreywolf
12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Congratulations on that warrior!

lucky_magic_stick
12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Congrats on an awesome deer, true fighter and old brute there!

.300ultramag
12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Awesome story and awesome buck!!!! It's going to look great on your wall, and as far as the amount of meat from a buck, I have heard it is somewhere between 33 to 40 percent of weight on the hoof, dependent on age, fat content, and time of year, so 36 to 37 percent is a safe bet to calculate weight on the hoof, oh and you can't forget the weight of the antlers

livinthedream
12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Congrats. I think you did that ol' bruiser a favor. I'm thinking euro.

fast_pass88
12-19-2012, 06:15 PM
what a cool buck, I think a buck like that is more of a trophy than a 190 typical just because its so neat.

Are you going to get it mounted and if so are you going to get the ear hanging down like it was in real life? that would be a conversation starter for sure

He'll be hanging in the living room, so as cool as it would be to get the ear mounted like that, I'm not sure my wife would be that keen on ol' droopy ear staring down our guests all the time lol

G TINE
12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
That is an awesome Mule! congrats :)

marlin1
12-19-2012, 08:20 PM
nice buck congrats

Sakoman
12-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Congrats on a cool looking buck!