PDA

View Full Version : Mule Buck 2012

forsblot
12-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Hey Guys, new to the forum but not new to Alberta. Been hunting hear most of my life...the best! Here's a few pics and story of the muley I was so lucky to get. Right place, right time. Thx, Todd

Dedicated to the true hunter
On November 17th, one of the most uneventful events happened in my life. I was at the right place on the earth at exactly the right time and I realize after it all, that life is an oxymoron.

You see, I do not consider myself a true hunter. I’ve been lucky enough to be in close association with true, genuine, hunters whose coat tails have generously drug me along through a many a hunting season. And if there was ever a year when I thought maybe I was in a league with these true outdoorsmen, I was quickly brought back into reality as they all watched me struggle with a ratchet-tie-down as a two year old looks at a rubics cube. Or perhaps, it was the time I grabbed the ‘Yellow’ gas can to fill my buddies quad, while hot coffee spews from his mouth in a mad gasp to stop me. Let me put this in another light. There are those who can plunk a few songs on the guitar, maybe even pretty darn well, and then there is Neal Young. I’ve been known to make a few great shots from time to time, bring home the game, but let me introduce you to my cousin/guide Mike Skrove (Neal Young), my older brother Derek (Bob Dylan) and my father, Wayne (Neal Diamond). You get my point.

Now let’s get to back to November 17th, the uneventful event I mentioned earlier.

Neal, I mean Mike and I (and Mike’s son Coleton) we’re enjoying the view of Peace Country, just happy to be out for a walk along a ridge. It was the first hour of our hunt of ten days. We spotted some nice Muley bucks and I was ready to take one, I had four tags to fill, it was quantity, not quality, but we decided to pass and keep walking. A few minutes later, about 200 yards below us, I spotted what was clearly a doe, but she had a mystery companion a few feet behind her. We had no idea at the time what ‘it’ was. The trees were just too thick and this deer would not move a muscle for the next 15 minutes. This was great for me. No pressure, no idea, no clue. I nestled into position, adjusted my bipod one millimeter at a time, put the cross-hairs on this mystery deer, took a few practice shots in my mind, I actually remember taking another look at the view of the scenery - just to give you an idea of how disconnected I was from the reality of this situation. Mike on the other hand was sending off another vibe. Much like a yellow lab, on a pheasant, he was pacing back and forth, melting the snow beneath him. You see, my coke bottle scope kept me in ignorance. Clearly what we had before us was a deer…a Mule deer, brown…with fur. Mike’s Hubble telescope he has screwed to the top of his gun on the other hand was telling a much different story. He knew it was buck, thick dark brown rack, but the trees prevented him from making out if he was more than a two pointer (Time to upgrade the scope I’d say). Mike suggests he make a few grunt calls to get him moving. I agreed. Mike grunted, the deer moved to the side about five feet. What I saw at that moment I will never forget. It appeared to me that someone glued a small tree to this deer’s head. I had seen enough, and so had Mike. With the same tone as a dying man’s last breath I heard him say ‘Take this deer, he’s a four pointer…and remember me…the one who helped you….you find this beautiful….deer. (Italics mine). I pulled the trigger of my borrowed .270 and as the bullet made its way, it only then dawned on me what was on the line. In other words, I never really had time to think about how special and rare this moment really was, and believe me, this was a good thing. The shot felt good and it did the job. As the three of us approached this breath taking animal, well you know how it goes and I’ll leave it that.

Now here’s the thing. The wrong guy shot this buck. I don’t mean that in negative sense at all, It’s just that If it weren’t for true hunters like Mike, my brother and my dad, I’d be back in Calgary posing with the mounts at Bass Pro. Life handed me the rarest of privileges and I’m thankful for that, but I must give credit where credit is due. To the true hunters out there who wear this stuff on their sleeve and camo to social gatherings, who quad us around, tell us what bullets to buy, let us hang game in their garage and rip us around in the front seat of their trucks, this is for you. Rock on!

TF[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

tyee43
12-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Awesome buck, awesome story and pics! Well done, the buck of a lifetime!

tyee43

sakogreywolf
12-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Wow! Awsome looking muley! Great first post. Congratulations.:sHa_shakeshout:

Thinlizzy
12-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Beauty! Love that buck!:)

blackmamba
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
beauty buck , and awesome first post , welcome to AOF... congrats !!!

CamoDerrick
12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Over 2 years to submit your first post, and it's a beauty.

Nice buck.

biggmac
12-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I think you have the writing skills to be in some hunting magazines. You should send some off. Maybe have a column in the annual hunting regulations.

And most of all, congrats on a superb might peace mulie.

Zip
12-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Great post there Todd..welcome to AO and that is one great looking Buck..i loved the story as well...very well written, now if i could get you to help writing my book i would be happy...i seem to be lacking the skills you have.
:sign0161:

lucky_magic_stick
12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
That was an amazing read! I felt my heart start racing and I felt like I was pacing back and forth waiting to see what happened next! Truly remarkable read, please post more threads and stories, I could read them all day!

Congrats on an amazing deer!

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Very nice muley, congrats. Let us know when you put a tape on him.

.300ultramag
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
What a great mule buck!!! And a great story!! Awesome first post!

forsblot
12-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys, thanks for the comments! I appreciate it!! It was quite the experience, it pops into my head every day!

The final green score on this guy was gross 195 and net 191.

Thanks again!

Todd

livinthedream
12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Congrats on a great Mulie!

G TINE
12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Kick ***** buck! congrats on a fantastic Mule. :)

bowtech3006
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Awesome buck & fantastic story telling.

trophyboy
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Now that is a tremendous mule deer and an excellent story. One of my favourites. Congrats and great work!

lone wolf
12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Fantastic buck, and one of the best stories I have read in recent memory !! Congrats to all involved !!

marlin1
12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice buck thanks for posting

Sakoman
12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Great buck, congrats!

fast_pass88
12-19-2012, 09:31 PM
nice deer and great story! thanks for sharing!

baptiste_moose
12-20-2012, 12:51 AM
It's really cool to hear something like that come from a non-hunter but soon to be hunter. It's awesome that you recognize what had to happen for that to happen. Props for the acknowledgement and the best first post all year. A great mulie to boot!!

craig_temple
12-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Congrats on a greeaaaattt buck and a great story! Your story made me feel like i was right there with you! That's a buck of a lifetime right there! :sHa_shakeshout:

SugarCreek
12-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Todd

Great way to break into the forum with that first post!!! Awesome write up and hope that it makes it into a magazine. Great job on the field photos as well and what a buck!!!! Congrats.......Marco

The Bit Runner.
12-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Great buck and field photo's.

dforsbloom
12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Like I always says "When you play guitars less and hunt more, good things happen...."

Derek

bisonhunter
12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Jeepers creepers Toddler, that thing is just a slob. Old Mike's skin must just crawl knowing you have a bigger mule deer than him.
Just so everybody knows Mike's favorite animal in the world to hunt is the mule deer, and he's taken some beauties, but none quite as big as this one.

Good story. I had no doubt it would be a good one, Todd is the best entertainer I know. Not only does he front a band called Last September (available on itunes) , he also is a first class film maker and editor/cameraman for the legendary Jim Shockey.

Here's a little film that won Todd the people choice award at the Banff mountain film festival a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go7jdOWzNOA

Sorry for the shameless plug, but what can I say he's good pal.

hayseed
12-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Great read and a great buck!!

Huge congrats!!

Hagalaz
12-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Congrats. :)

Ryry4
12-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Beautiful buck.

ab_hunter
12-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow that's a buck of a lifetime!

Alberta Bigbore
12-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Congrats!!!!!

hunter270win
12-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Hey Todd, nice to see you posting on here getting out from behind the camera and knocking down a great deer!!! I grew up with Mike back in Kelowna and have seen some of your work. Really enjoyed it!

Gumbi
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Awsome buck!