PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone own or use an actual camera anymore?

Pathfinder76
12-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I find it funny that we have HD computers, Ipads with retina display, televisions that are 5 feet across and then take photos of what a person is very passionate about with a smart phone.

I NEVER go hunting without a "real" camera in my pack. But I seem to be increasingly in the minority. It's baffling to say the least.

TheLegend
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Always. The phone sucks. I am big into documenting my adventures

honda450
12-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Dang I got a **** load of Len's for a Canon AE-1, including the camera. Cheap.

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM
All my family and harvest photos, are taken with an actual camera, and it still takes film !

joeya
12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I hope so, I just bought the Wife a DSLR for Christmas.

depopulator
12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
If you mean digital SLR, then yes, of course. Film cameras - uh no, not for many years.

Pathfinder76
12-19-2012, 01:21 PM
If you mean digital SLR, then yes, of course. Film cameras - uh no, not for many years.

Yes digital. I'm referring to anything that you can't phone a friend on.:)

ram crazy
12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I still use the camera as well.

harv3589
12-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Yup camera here as well...

Big Red 250
12-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't have a cell phone, I don't need or want one either. I do have 2 digital camera's tho.

Ultimate Predator
12-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Need a camera phone pics r garbage but still better then none camera all the way

RayL42
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Hunting I take my DSLR with me, fishing I have an older point and shoot that I use. Cell phone cameras photos only look good on a cell phone screens.

Rackmastr
12-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd say 95% of the guys I know carry a real camera...and a high number also carry a camcorder as well as the camera.

Lefty-Canuck
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

X2 I bought an all weather digital

LC

sikwhiskey
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Just an Iphone for me, another camera would just take up space and be forgotten at the bottom of the pack.
I don't think they take bad pictures, way better than a "Polaroid":)

If I could find one that attaches to my spotting scope I'd consider it.

ruger300
12-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Just got a dumb phone last month, still always bring the digital camera, rather leave the dumb phone in the truck.

ruger300

justinO
12-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Always have my Sony DSLR when fishing or hunting. Cells are good for sending quick photos to family and friends though, they both have their positives. Any serious photo I take I will use my real Camera.

Okotokian
12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I have an old Canon SLR (T70 I think?) from the late 80's and a couple of lenses, electronic flash, tripod, and bag sitting in the bottom of my closet. Haven't touched it in over 20 years. Been thinking I should take it to a second hand store but not sure they would even look at it anymore.... like an electric typewritier. Is there any sort of market for these old cameras? It's in almost new shape. I'd be surprised if I shot 20 rolls of film through it.

fast_pass88
12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
If I had a SLR then yes for sure. I had my point and shoot with me this year but the batteries were dead when I needed it. So we took the pics on my iPhone, which I think turned out great, you can see them in my thread a couple lines down. If you don't blow it up the iPhone is pretty good...also takes excellent close ups, which I use for work alot.

Grizzly Adams
12-19-2012, 05:00 PM
All the disposable cameras are still film , as far as I know. Used a waterproof one, whitewater rafting this summer. Pictures turned out really well, better in fact than the ones the company wanted to sell. Was a bit of a pain finding a place to develop them. Then there's always the old Canon lying on the shelf with a half shot roll of film. :lol:

Grizz

honda450
12-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Dang when I first seen this post I thought it was for real camera's with film. hehe

Not this new space age technology stuff. hehe

I just got point and shoot digital cameras 3X zoom and a 10X zoom. Fit in my pocket easy. Like to carry it wherever without bulk. Don't do phone stuff, (text, email, smurf, facebook tweeter, etc) don't like phones to start with. I am fine when no one can find me.

Getting the video bug now. Cashed out all my airmiles with a new cam corder ,lots of buttons on that sucker. But I see a new GoPro in my future. Dang it's Xmas too. Bonus. hehehe

Sigma
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I have an old Canon SLR (T70 I think?) from the late 80's and a couple of lenses, electronic flash, tripod, and bag sitting in the bottom of my closet. Haven't touched it in over 20 years. Been thinking I should take it to a second hand store but not sure they would even look at it anymore.... like an electric typewritier. Is there any sort of market for these old cameras? It's in almost new shape. I'd be surprised if I shot 20 rolls of film through it.

I follow a couple of photography forums and there does not appear to be a market for the older cameras other than a few antiques. A few of the higher quality lenses however have some value if they can be used on the newer DSLR's in manual mode. I bought a DSLR about 6 years ago that would accept my many lens from my 25 year old SLR camera. I find that I seldom use the old lenses however. I too am sittting on a tote full of old camera equipment that I just cannot bring myself to take to the recycle bins.

Sig

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I dumped about $10k of "actual" camera gear in the garbage this year. Film is dead. Keeping up with technology is very expensive.

Phones have cameras? ;)

hunter1993ap
12-19-2012, 05:33 PM
i always used a camera until i lost it this fall. i used my cell this fall but would way rather use a camera. i have an xperia phone and it takes good pics.

Strange
12-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Most cellphone cams have only 1.3 MP resolution. Try to blow it up to take a good look at some detail, and it gets fuzzy real quick. Garbage by today's standards. I have three digital cams; 5, 7 and 12 MP. The 5 and 7 are Canon and the 12 is a Fuji. The "smaller" Canons take better pics than the Fuji. I wonder how Fuji gets their pixel-count rating? Haven't had a film camera for years. Kodak is no longer around because they didn't see the writing on the wall (too low a resolution, maybe?) But for any decent photos, you still need a camera and today's digitals have enough resolution and are cheap enough, that I thought everyone has at least one. Everybody that I know, does. Not so Strange

super7mag
12-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Spent about 600 on a new Nikon last year and 300 on extra lense, and still wind up using the friggin BG I -phone. Stupid I know packing the good camera I am always worried about it getting wrecked.

rielbowhunter
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I use a Canon G12 daily. allways in my hunting pack.

rednuck
12-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I use an Olympus tough model since they are fairly hunting proof(16ft waterproof, 5ft drop proof and -10C) I wish I could find a camcorder with similar specs.

H380
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Always have the camera , much better pics and something I know how to run .

bruceba
12-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I still have my Olympus E-300 with me all the time but use my Sony HD Handycam way more. If I want a good crisp picture the Olympus comes out.
The stills off of the video are usually pretty clear and the 5 mp pictures it's capable of taking are decent but nothing beats the DSLR's. IMHO

Dumbo_Dave
12-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I bought a Canon 40D a few years ago - got a couple of lenses for it. Love using to extend my "hunting season" to 12 months.
Got the wife a point and shoot Panasonic that is waterproof and shock resistant enough to take on October/November Hunts. I hate to take the Cannon where the dogs might jump on it.

Big Racks
12-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I carry an older Olympus 3mp digital in my pack. A bit bulky for this day and age but does the job and if it gets wet or falls into a moose cavity I'm not going to be broken hearted in the least. Can't say the same about my iphone, I'd definitely be shedding a tear if it was ruined.

Scott N
12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I still own a 35mm SLR, but the last time I tried to get film developed (about 4 years ago), hardly anyone processes it anymore, at least not without sending it away.

Stinky Buffalo
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Dang I got a **** load of Len's for a Canon AE-1, including the camera.

Haha! Me too!

Man, I loved using that thing. Not too sure what to do with it now... There was a company that was making a digitizing camera back (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera_back)for SLR bodies, but they disappeared at about the time they were getting ready to release it... Too bad!

http://1.static.img-dpreview.com/files/news/3353553809/010212-1302-49-001.jpg?v=1883

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/images/imagek2.jpg

...and of course, the RE-35 April Fool's hoax (http://re35.net/#) was just plain MEAN! :(

Mike_W
12-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't have a DSLR but I do have a decent point and shoot 12mp Nikon. That said the camera quality on my iPhone 4S is quite impressive of course not compared to a DSLR but better than a lot of cheaper point and shoots!

trapshooter
12-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Cameras get packed first...
2 Dslr's (Nikon D300 and Nikon D300s)
2 HD Camcorders (Sony SR-12)
2 Point and Shoots
2 POV Cams
Plus all the lenses for the DSLRS (400mm, 50mm, 18-135mm, 12-24mm)
And all the video accessories (Mics, Lights, Tripods etc)

Cowtown guy
12-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Nikon D3100 for me. Took some great pics this year in bird season while guiding.

alpineguy
12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Camera everytime I go out. I never even take my cell phone because most places I go don't have service anyways.

Skinnydipper
12-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Always take a DSLR and choose the model depending on the task. It's just as vital as the gun!

Duk Dog
12-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I'd say 95% of the guys I know carry a real camera...and a high number also carry a camcorder as well as the camera.

Yep for both. I don't always use them as often as I should on a trip/hunt, but always have them both with me.

getasheep
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep for both. I don't always use them as often as I should on a trip/hunt, but always have them both with me.

This is what I find happens. I always bring them and intend to take more pictures and footage but then I get caught up in hunting and it sits in the pack until something is harvested.

KegRiver
12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
I never was much for documenting my life, any part of it.
But I do have three conventional cameras.

One older Canon film camera, and two digital cameras. A Fuji point and shoot and a Canon XSI with a few lens.

I live to photograph the wild things I see. But I have little interest in photographing people, buildings, machinery ext, with the exception of Aircraft.
They are my second most favourite subject.

I do pack a camera when hunting but rarely think to use it until after the meat is hanging. Old habits I guess.

Grizzly Adams
12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
I never was much for documenting my life, any part of it.
But I do have three conventional cameras.

One older Canon film camera, and two digital cameras. A Fuji point and shoot and a Canon XSI with a few lens.

I live to photograph the wild things I see. But I have little interest in photographing people, buildings, machinery ext, with the exception of Aircraft.
They are my second most favourite subject.

I do pack a camera when hunting but rarely think to use it until after the meat is hanging. Old habits I guess.

I take more pictures than I ever did with film cameras. Habitually carry a camera with me wherever. Gotta love you don't have to buy film or pay for development to find out your pictures are lousy or non-existent and you can be more experimental as well. You must not have grand kids yet.:lol:

Grizz

Razor 49
12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
I use them all! I still have a bunch B&W 35 mm film to use up. I downloaded an app called "Hipstamatic" for my iPhone and it takes retro style photos. You can get different "lenses and film" for it. I have taken some interesting shots with it. Will post a few if I have time over the holidays. By the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS, everyone!