PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Out Loud

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm just thinking out loud here but does anyone think that there is a ram wandering the hills of Alberta right now that would net score in excess of 200 inches?

ceedub
12-19-2012, 05:35 PM
I'd like to think there was, but I can't even find a legal one so I'm not the authority on the subject..lol. 200 is an awfully big ram though.

-Craig

ksteed17
12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Definitely possible. To net would be tough I'd say almost for sure there a gross 200" somewhere. Next year ill find him;)

bowtech3006
12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm highly doubting it. Our fast growing rams that should go there get hammered when there lamb tipped. Bye bye superior genetics.

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm highly doubting it. Our fast growing rams that should go there get hammered when there lamb tipped. Bye bye superior genetics.

You been drinking the Coltman Kool-Aid....lol?

We had one as recently as 2010?

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Im pretty sure , i know where there's one or two. Getting to them .....well that's another story. I should add , if they survived.

Why ?

bowtech3006
12-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Cadomin mine??? who the hell is coltman?

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Im pretty sure , i know where there's one or two. Getting to them .....well...

Why ?

Seriously, where do you think they are?

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Cadomin mine??? who the hell is coltman?

The guy who created the theory of hunters effecting genetics in sheep.....pretty much proven to be a quack since but ESRD is trying to hang their hat on his theory to take hunting opportunity away.

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Seriously, where do you think they are?

Lol... in the mountains...you don't actually expect an answer on an open forum ?

...I'm curious why the question.

bowtech3006
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
The guy who created the theory of hunters effecting genetics in sheep.....pretty much proven to be a quack since but ESRD is trying to hang their hat on his theory to take hunting opportunity away.

I'm all about opportunity.

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Lol... in the mountains...you don't actually expect an answer on an open forum ?

LOL...ya, you better keep that honey hole to yourself....it's produced so well for you so far.....lol

Just giving you a hard time. No real reason....just talking sheep with a buddy today and the topic came up. Just an interesting discussion.

KBF
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM

To see if we can get another post to go 9 pages and not realy go anywhere.

Just kidding

flyguyd
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
I have no doubt that there is

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I have no doubt that there is

Where? Or at least what part of the province?

TheRealMcCoy
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
During the summer and fall he lives in a zone where there is no season. When the rut comes he heads across country to the Sheep River Sanctuary. He was
alive in August.

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 06:33 PM
LOL...ya, you better keep that honey hole to yourself....it's produced so well for you so far.....lol

Just giving you a hard time. No real reason....just talking sheep with a buddy today and the topic came up. Just an interesting discussion.

That's fine, heard the same thing before I put the sci world archery record down!....lol

I know I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Hunting bush rams, in non traditional areas , is no easy task, or produce consistent sightings.

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 06:36 PM
During the summer and fall he lives in a zone where there is no season. When the rut comes he heads across country to the Sheep River Sanctuary. He was
alive in August.

Ya, he might be one possibility. Might just take a run into the Sanctuary over Christmas and see what is there.

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 06:44 PM
That's fine, heard the same thing before I put the sci world archery record down!....lol

I know I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Hunting bush rams, in non traditional areas , is no easy task, or produce consistent sightings.

The thing with rams is that there are not a lot of secrets as to monster rams being around come the rut. The odd one slips through the cracks no doubt but for the most part, I'd say the majority of true monster rams get seen during the winter. Just look at the 200+ inch rams that have been killed or found dead in the past 12 or 13 years....none of them were a secret. Going on a little province-wide search over Christmas......be interesting.

ksteed17
12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Question is, is there one living In a general zone? Do you think there's a ram in alberta that hasn't been spotted at one time or another?

Nevermind we must've posted at the same time^^

Springer
12-19-2012, 07:14 PM
TJ are you talking about the one they transplanted in the River Valley near Drumheller with that dozen ewes.......

rielbowhunter
12-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I think i saw one real close. the question is? will he still be alive next fall and how much more will he grow? what do you think a big(195) ram grows each year? 2.5" to each side? Next year i plan to put in more time.

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
The thing with rams is that there are not a lot of secrets as to monster rams being around come the rut. The odd one slips through the cracks no doubt but for the most part, I'd say the majority of true monster rams get seen during the winter. Just look at the 200+ inch rams that have been killed or found dead in the past 12 or 13 years....none of them were a secret. Going on a little province-wide search over Christmas......be interesting.

But how many guys are out looking for rams after the season? Or in December in their rutting areas? How many guys are searching fir rams in the spring. How many guys hike up into the parks, to check?

All those known rams where in areas easily accessible and heavily watched. I'm starting to believe those traditional areas are not where the majority of sheep are going.

It my personal theory, that they are starting to find new areas. With increase
pressure from humans, especially those testing and studying them. More predators than ever, and more habitat being lost. I believe they've started adapting to their ever changing surroundings.

There's lots of country , and just because you believe you see ever sheep on the hill, there's always a couple you don't, and those might be the ones. I got no proof, just my wacky theories, in an attempt to think outside the box. And hopefully keep the fire burning, while perhaps getting lucky.

I do know one ram we think is special, but so far he's been able to out fox us!

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
But how many guys are out looking for rams after the season? Or in December in their rutting areas? How many guys are searching fir rams in the spring. How many guys hike up into the parks, to check?

Quite a few actually....

There isn't that much winter range in Alberta.....rams get pretty concentrated.

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
TJ are you talking about the one they transplanted in the River Valley near Drumheller with that dozen ewes.......

You really think he's that big?

pottymouth
12-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Quite a few actually....

There isn't that much winter range in Alberta.....rams get pretty concentrated.

How many is quite a few?

I realize there isn't a wide range of traditional rutting and wintering ranges in Alberta. If you hit places like the sheep sanc. Your not going to see the sae number of rams or size, like you might have in your early years . Would you agree or disagree?

Springer
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
You really think he's that big?

Being that i am new to Sheep Hunting and what i have been told is Sheephunters are supposed to be zipperlipped..better quit while i am ahead.
Okay , apparently not transplanted but part of the Bighorns Migration Route from the Willmore and they travel at night to the Badlands in the winter and back in the Spring, thats why we don't see them.:thinking-006:

sheephunter
12-19-2012, 09:28 PM
How many is quite a few?

I realize there isn't a wide range of traditional rutting and wintering ranges in Alberta. If you hit places like the sheep sanc. Your not going to see the sae number of rams or size, like you might have in your early years . Would you agree or disagree?

Basically all of the traditional winter range gets covered.

Agree but it is getting better again.

whitetailsheds
12-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Being that i am new to Sheep Hunting and what i have been told is Sheephunters are supposed to be zipperlipped..better quit while i am ahead.
Okay , apparently not transplanted but part of the Bighorns Migration Route from the Willmore and they travel at night to the Badlands in the winter and back in the Spring, thats why we don't see them.:thinking-006:

Not Willmore but Grande Cache area anyways. Had quite the view travelling to Cadomin for an annual quadding trip with relatives in June. North of Grande Cache, on some very open visible hills along the highway. Saw a ram feeding on some hills similar to Cadomin (mine pull out), it was all of 190. Almost hit the ditch looking at this fella! Not sure if it was an open area for hunting. I think there is some non-resident opportunities in Alberta for this BC boy?
Is there a ram wandering the hills of Alberta 200 or better? I think so.

HuntingAlberta
12-20-2012, 07:36 AM
For all you sheep experts out there, what do you think this guy will score?

huntinstuff
12-20-2012, 07:51 AM
I had to delete your attachments as they did not work. Can u try again please?

pikeslayer22
12-20-2012, 08:02 AM
No expert here but would guess 185 to 190...very nice ram

pottymouth
12-20-2012, 08:44 AM
for all you sheep experts out there, what do you think this guy will score?

ram crazy
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM

ishootbambi
12-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm just thinking out loud here but does anyone think that there is a ram wandering the hills of Alberta right now that would net score in excess of 200 inches?

ofcourse....there is more than one for sure.

Question is, is there one living In a general zone? Do you think there's a ram in alberta that hasn't been spotted at one time or another?

right now there is one or two in a general zone....but during hunting season, no. any secret rams....probably a couple buried in the parks that havent been seen...but in general areas..not likely. sheep arent an elusive critter by any means.

jacenbeers
12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I bet there are some in Banff National Park. I saw some tanks licking salt off the middle of the highway during a snowstorm when I was coming through the park in October on the way back from my BC moose trip.

Kick1
12-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I haven't heard of a 200" Ram being taken or even seen in some time. I work with some guy's that hunt the coal mine areas in B.C. and the biggest that was taken down south out of these areas this year is 191. The last one close to 200 in the last 10 years has been KSteed17 and friends ram and we all know it was 197+. Awesome Ram. I spoke to the warden in Waterton Park this fall and he said that he only seen 1 Ram that would push that mark, but he may be a sheep hunter as well and not let on what is exactly in that park anyway.
I believe that there is still that possibility to have Ram's that big out there. Guy's that are visiting the wintering grounds this winter take a camera, never know what you may get a picture of.

MKD
12-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Not 200.

echo
12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
100% there are rams over 200 inches out there if i have time i will post a couple pictures later or i can just email them to you and you can be the judge.

Outcast
12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
I haven't heard of a 200" Ram being taken or even seen in some time. I work with some guy's that hunt the coal mine areas in B.C. and the biggest that was taken down south out of these areas this year is 191. The last one close to 200 in the last 10 years has been KSteed17 and friends ram and we all know it was 197+. Awesome Ram. I spoke to the warden in Waterton Park this fall and he said that he only seen 1 Ram that would push that mark, but he may be a sheep hunter as well and not let on what is exactly in that park anyway.
I believe that there is still that possibility to have Ram's that big out there. Guy's that are visiting the wintering grounds this winter take a camera, never know what you may get a picture of.
Chad Meropoulis shot a 206 in 2007, did he not?

Kick1
12-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Chad Meropoulis shot a 206 in 2007, did he not?

You're absoulutly right outcast. In fact all the top 10 Rams in Alberta are all over 200". Not sure what the next top 10 goes but I'm sure that they are all great rams as well.

LongDraw
12-21-2012, 07:42 PM
What about some of these recent pick ups off the mine?

missingtwo
12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
I think someones upset that they didn't see a worthy sheep this year and is trying to see if anyone is naive enough to post an area with a large sheep in it. Just thinking out loud.:scared0018:

CNP
12-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Rams in the poplars...........never been there.

ram crazy
12-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Yup looks almost like #3. ;)

nube
12-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Rams in the poplars...........never been there.

Biggest ram i have shot was in the poplars about 2 miles from the nearest mountain in a small clearing that he and 2 others fed in an hour each morning and evening. I can't believe where you can find them at times!

pottymouth
12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Biggest ram i have shot was in the poplars about 2 miles from the nearest mountain in a small clearing that he and 2 others fed in an hour each morning and evening. I can't believe where you can find them at times!

Hush puppy!

Outcast
12-22-2012, 03:39 PM
You're absoulutly right outcast. In fact all the top 10 Rams in Alberta are all over 200". Not sure what the next top 10 goes but I'm sure that they are all great rams as well.
Huh? You said haven't heard of one in a long time........

I'm well aware of what the top ten in Alberta score....?

Deathracer
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
In my opinion there still are more 200 rams left then we think. For the last 2 years a couple of us hunted a ram that never left legal zone, a long ways from mine or park boundaries unfortunately it died this year from predators. This ram officially scored 203 3/8 and will be donated to the edson museum. In the last 6 years I know of 5 rams being killed by hunters over 200 in general season this includes Chads and myown.

Kick1
12-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Huh? You said haven't heard of one in a long time........

I'm well aware of what the top ten in Alberta score....?

Not trying to raise any hairs here outcast. The original post asked if anyone thinks there are very many 200" plus Rams in Alberta. I personnelly haven't seen or heard of as many as you have. I think that is awesome if there some Rams of this caliber of Rams out there.
Hopefully next year someone from Alberta can have one of these in there sights.

Springer
12-22-2012, 09:59 PM

A friend of mine that Hunts Bighorns down around Spences Bridge in British Columbia always lived by ...Looking for the Rams is where you find Trees with Leaves, it also would be where there was some watersource within.

Bushrat
12-22-2012, 10:47 PM
A friend of mine that Hunts Bighorns down around Spences Bridge in British Columbia always lived by ...Looking for the Rams is where you find Trees with Leaves, it also would be where there was some watersource within.

Used to hunt sheep a lot in that area, what your friend says is true. But then most of the area is forested with 98% conifers, what few deciduous trees there are there are heavily browsed by sheep along with there standard bunchgrass predominated diet. Water sources are important it is a very dry arid area. Seen a lot of sheep stay/live right down low in the bottom of the Thompson and Fraser canyons just because it is the only source of water in some areas.

Outcast
12-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Not trying to raise any hairs here outcast. The original post asked if anyone thinks there are very many 200" plus Rams in Alberta. I personnelly haven't seen or heard of as many as you have. I think that is awesome if there some Rams of this caliber of Rams out there.
Hopefully next year someone from Alberta can have one of these in there sights.
No worries, it takes alot to raise the hackles here. The post just didn't make sense at the time.

Springer
12-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Used to hunt sheep a lot in that area, what your friend says is true. But then most of the area is forested with 98% conifers, what few deciduous trees there are there are heavily browsed by sheep along with there standard bunchgrass predominated diet. Water sources are important it is a very dry arid area. Seen a lot of sheep stay/live right down low in the bottom of the Thompson and Fraser canyons just because it is the only source of water in some areas.

Yes very true but maybe a little more on the trees with leaves is that there were areas where the trees were more filled out and much greener than others.
They do a Sheep count on the opposite side of the River right along the highway once a year. Its a Good excuse for the HuntingBC gang to get together as well and get to know one another from the Forum there. I have been the passenger a couple times with my nose to the window driving that highway looking for Sheep on our way to Mission for Sturgeon Fishing

Huntnut
12-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Of course there are. What makes them grow that big is the fact that they are in places not easy to get to. IMHO

South west trappin RG
12-30-2012, 06:34 PM
alive in August.

dutch_m
12-30-2012, 07:32 PM
yep , thats a good ram , like that yellow tag

GrtWht
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
That's a pretty ram, but he just doesn't have the drop to make it anywhere close to 200. They've got to have it all to make that magical 200 mark. Drop,bases and length, he is short on a couple of those. Cool pic though.

ejames21
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
you guys all seem to know what you're talking about. im pretty new to alberta and have wanted to take on the endeavour of sheep hunting. im not looking for any secret hunting spots of any of yours but if anyone can give me a general direction to head would be a great help

Rhino81
01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
TJ are you talking about the one they transplanted in the River Valley near Drumheller with that dozen ewes.......near drumheller, are you sure??

jryley
01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Even with my lack of sheephunting experience i would still think this question could correlate to the thread by a mod about people questioning 60" moose in alberta. Id guess theres gotta be! We all arent the heros we think we are and some old wise cranker always slips through the cracks

Springer
01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
near drumheller, are you sure??

About as sure of that as......The part of the Bighorns Migration Route from the Willmore and they travel at night to the Badlands in the winter and back in the Spring, thats why we don't see them.