PDA

View Full Version : fishing alone. Advice anyone?

PlayDoh
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey guys. So I'm heading out fishing for a week all by myself, which I've never done before, and I'm just wondering if any of you have some tips? I'm tired of waiting on my "friends" to find the time to go fishing. So to heck with them, I got a new camera and I'm going to take a million pictures so I can rub it in.

I seen a trick, where you tie a rope from the boat to the trailer near the crank, when launching a boat alone, so the boat doesn't go fishing without you. I once had to try and bring a guys boat in for him, who did just that, which proved impossible until a guy with a tiller motor came by.

I've landed my own fish a million times, and I'll have a cell phone on the boat so I'm covered in case of disaster. I have a tilt trailer, yet I've only used it once. It worked a bit better, but its still easier to just put shorts on and walk the boat on to the trailer, since my trailer has no guides, yet.

I seen a guy on iboats.com fab up some boat trailer guides using a few U-bolts and some tubing from an old trampoline, which I plan on doing if I ever have the time.

I'm sure I'll be fine, and as long as I'm in the fish I shouldn't get too bored. I'll have my pooch to talk to, and complain to. I just got a fish finder for my boat, so I'll have something to play with. I just have to remember to not get to focused on it, and run the boat ashore. :p

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Main thing is enjoy yourself have fun. Who cares if you got anyone to fish with. I was like that for years then I woke up and smelt the coffee and said I dont care if i fish alone or with 20 guys. Im suure if you post and ask for someone arouynd your area to join ya esspecially with a boat youll be set. I mean I got a boat and ive gone out in it wish it was bigger,if need be maybe later into the season you and I can meet up go fish some of the southern resiviouers and lakes go slay some big ole pike and walleye, just a sugestion though.

FisherPotch
06-01-2008, 11:57 PM
How big is your boat?

I'd advise going somewhere with a good boat launch. If it's busy there may be someone willing to give you a hand, lots of courteous fisher folk out there. It's certainly do’ able. Launching is the easy part in my opinion. Don't land the boat on shore unless it drops off relatively quick or you may not get back out. Make sure that the winch on your trailer is in good working order. I just replaced the rope on mine because I fish a lake without a good launch frequently and the winch is the only way unless there is three or more people handy to hand balm the boat. Personally I launch the boat without a rope tied to the trailer; I remove the winch rope from the front of the boat and push off the trailer. Then I bring the boat ashore to park the truck and trailer.

Do you have a tripod that you can mount your camera on? My tripod actually came with my spotting scope but my camera also fits it. For a period of time I wouldn't go fishing solo because if I caught a good one there was nobody to take a picture of me with the fish. Now all I do is set up the tripod with camera mounted and set the camera to take a picture ten seconds after I push the button. This gives me the opportunity to strike a pose. Be sure to post your pictures!!!

Big Red 250
06-02-2008, 07:32 AM
get about a 20ft length of rope and tie it to the front of your boat. That way when you unhook your winch rope from the boat and push your boat off your trailor, you will not lose your boat and you don't have to get wet.
When you go to reload your boat onto the trailor, leave the back roller sticking out of the water a couple of inches. You can guide your boat on straight using the rope tied on the boat, pull it on until you can hook up your winch rope. hopefully there isn't much wind to screw you up.
Don't forget to put the plug in your boat. if there is anyone around when your launching your boat, don't be imbarrassed to ask for help.

chuck0039
06-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Take your cell phone just in case. Good luck fishing

moosemad
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Playdo, don't be too paranoid, I go with the wife all the time so unloading and loading you are on your own anyway :lol:. At least she can hold the rope while I park the truck. If the boat isn't too big and heavy you'll be fine. You'll also be surprised with the nice experience of drifting or trolling alone with your line in the water. It is a little upsetting you can't share the experience but what the hell.

Rudy198
06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Playdoh sounds like you and i should hook up i'm in that same boat...lol

-JR-
06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Love going fishing by my self .Bring a radio .

For unloading the boat ,i hold the rope threw the side window and back up until it floats,then stop and tie the boat off to the side.

Topwater
06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I've fished by myself lots and I've got a 21 ft glass boat. I just make sure there is a decent dock and I'm laughing. I tie on 2 dock bumpers and dock lines to the cleats on one side of the boat then I loosen the winch cable off a foot or two and back the trailer into the water. When the trailer is deep enough to float the boat I undo the winch, hop in and drive over to the dock and tie it up and park my truck. This works alot better than tieing a rope to a big heavy boat and trying to walk it over to the dock. I find I can unload and load my boat faster myself than 80 % of the weekend warriors can with 2 people. That gives me an idea for a new thread "Launch Etiquette" ha ha.

Anyways fishing by myself is something I really enjoy. It allows me to try new things, search for new areas and not have to worry about keeping some one else entertained. And the best part is I'm on my time and my schedule. I can fish as late or as long as I want.

The Fisherman Guy
06-03-2008, 05:22 AM
I agree with most of the guys here, you may prefer fishing alone! Most of the time I am out by myself. I hear the river in greater detail, the loons, whatever is sharing the water with me. Watch out for the sun, gettin the sunscreen on without a lil lady to do it for ya, can be funny. Nothing like lobster to ruin a great fish dinner!
I work in the field, and getting buddies to head out fishin on a moments notice on a tuesday morning can be tough. This is why I end up solo for many of my trips.

Enjoy it, just remember if you are also alone on the water, no one will hear you screaming. I suggest you try to avoid any situation that could have you end up screaming. For help that is! Have fun!

Dr. Fish
06-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Love going fishing by my self .Bring a radio .

For unloading the boat ,i hold the rope threw the side window and back up until it floats,then stop and tie the boat off to the side.

I do the same as J.R. all the time with a 20 foot Lund and I can load and unload faster than most everyone else at the dock. Just dont back her in to fast and you'll be all right.:D

tbosch
06-03-2008, 07:03 AM
I shattered my femur a couple of years ago. I decided it would be a good idea to buy a boat and go fishing with my dog because i couldnt work for a while. So i did. I crutched myself around and launched my boat and tripped and slipped getting in to it. Then I slipped and stumbled around in it while fishing. I even fell down the hill to the point at peppers lake once(anyone who knows that hill knows how funny it'd be to see a guy on crutches rolling down it). Anyways the point of my story is if I could spend a week in the bush by myself like that I'm sure you'll be fine. P.S. I also forgot my lifejacket at home.:lol:

Sbrooks
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I prefer fishing solo, even weekend trips. It's your own agenda and your too busy fishing anyways to feel lonley. I catch more fish too.

Unregistered user
06-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Drop your anchor when launching alone where you can't tie off. Camera with timer/ cheap tripod. Laugh to yourself because you're not waiting for anyone and let someone know your ETAs.

PlayDoh
06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys. Great advice. I had a great time, and your all right I was too busy with the fish to care about being alone. I didn't have a tripod, but I managed to take a million pics anyways.

I forgot how I usually end up babysitting my passengers, and doing a quick 180, or large turns while trolling was nice. I met a nice guy who was also alone, so we shared fishing stories after sunset.

I got about a couple dozen good sized Pike, one was 28", but not one Walleye. I watched an episode of "linders edge" the day I got home, ironically, and the episode was on Walleye and bass seasonal behavior, ect. He said that most of the post spawn Walleye will hang around the flats adjacent to their spawning areas. Even though there is little or very small structure like a couple stones, they will group up around it, making it difficult to locate them. I talked to a dozen guys at least, and I heard of only 3 walleye being caught the whole week, so I knew it wasn't just me.

I got to get to know my new sonar, and all the hidden structure that I've been missing, and oblivious to. I bought a Lowrance x51 off a guy from here, and its the perfect sonar for what I need. I tried to use one before but its was difficult to use. This one is easy as pie.

The water was Gin clear, and I got my first few Pike on a fly rod. I got an 8 weight rod, and a bunch of pike flies from a friend of mine, and it was nice to have to play the pike, and they seemed to fight harder. They took the fly close to the boat, and so softly I hardly noticed it. 2 of them swam right up to the boat before they realized they were hooked. I figured it was the shock that caused them to put up a real fight. Plus the light gear intensifies the whole fight.

I tried some leaches for the first time, along with bottom bouncers. I know once the weeds grow, and the walleye move out to the drop offs, I'm going to have a lot more success then I did last year.

Send me a PM if your heading south, there John. It would be a pleasure to fish with ya.

Here some pics.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278609_1429.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278522_3265.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278608_1175.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278598_3631.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278607_492.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278519_2483.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278512_731.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v256/55/49/685425672/n685425672_1278515_1477.jpg

FisherPotch
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Glad to here that it all went so well. Pike on the fly.....can't wait to try that. By the way your pics never posted properly.

Reeves1
06-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Pictures show for me....and they are good ones !

packhuntr
06-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Jeepers i'll say! that sun rise/sun set photo is a dandy.