PDA

View Full Version : coyotes where are they?

hunter0968
12-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Been hunting hard the last few days around the wainwright area and not much to be seen. The cold weather should get them going but sure dosent seem so. Doing everything i did last year with great success but have only managed to get 4 so far. Has any one else been finding that there arent that many around?

Elk Chaser
12-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I was out yesterday and watched 10 or 11 yotes putting the move on herds of deer. Closest yote was about 500yds most were 1000yds +. This all happened within the MD of Wainwright. So they are out there, way out there.

krthegunslinger
12-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I live in the south end of the province and I'm seeing the same thing here. I did read that there is quite a bit of mange in some of them so that will lower the numbers also heard parvo was hitting them this summer. Once it gets cold -30 we will be seeing more if they are around as they have to eat steady at those temps to survive.

greylynx
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
The Roadrunner population around Wainwright is really down.

hunter0968
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
on my way home i seen two in the feild as soon as they seen the truck they were on the flat out run. Got me thinking that the sleds have them worked up pretty good this year. I should mention this was north and east of wainwright.

Rhino81
12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
More coyotes in my area than theres ever been. Every draw or coulee is holding them. Seems like they are everywhere you look.

H380
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
coyotes here in the south still on high alert from the deer hunters .. Lots of guys calling and dogs are getting smart fast ... well at least the live ones are .

L.O.S.T.Arrow
12-20-2012, 11:48 AM
:)..More this year than last I think...Im in the wainwright area also...have them stealing dog food out of the dog dish...

try callin...they will come out of the wood work..

Neil

hunter0968
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
i have herd that there are lots out west of wainwright neil. I got lots of permission out east and up north of wainwright. I have been using the hand calls and also the e caller. I get the magpies coming on in but no coyotes. Been up by that 619 country and east of wainwright like i said i have managed to get a few. Neil are u hunting on the river hills or in the farm land?

Deer Hunter
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
My suggestion would be to concentrate you efforts around cows. Swath graze, feedlots, farmyards, there is always a coyote within earshot.

G TINE
12-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Sounds like you might need to get out the good old Foxpro! Hope you see more dogs and lay the smackdown! Good luck :)

Fer-Tak-Er
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Have seen shortage in my area as well. Have to hunt a lot harder to call them in. Have had my bait out for almost 1 month and still no coyote tracks. Managed to get 9 so far this year, but worked hard for everyone of them.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
i have herd that there are lots out west of wainwright neil. I got lots of permission out east and up north of wainwright. I have been using the hand calls and also the e caller. I get the magpies coming on in but no coyotes. Been up by that 619 country and east of wainwright like i said i have managed to get a few. Neil are u hunting on the river hills or in the farm land?

:)Hunter
..I am West of Wainwright and hunt both but mostly on farmland...

Also East of the base by the ECO..and community pasture ...crazy out there...
Took three with my bow during bowhunting season there...

watch that wind...

Neil

Salavee
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I,m NW of Edmonton and am seeing the same thing this year .. not as many visible Coyotes as in previous years

Maybe it's the post hunting jitters, but I think it has more to do with available food sources and locations. Rabbit populations are up in many areas and setting up in the heavier cover and packing a shotgun is definately more productive around here.

Elk Chaser
12-21-2012, 08:28 AM
going out this morning just north east of Wainwright

gman1978
12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Find some feedlots and hog barns, I find in the areas that I hunt the coytoes really hang around these areas when things get cold. The dead piles are an easy and constant food source!

L.O.S.T.Arrow
12-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Find some feedlots and hog barns, I find in the areas that I hunt the coytoes really hang around these areas when things get cold. The dead piles are an easy and constant food source!

:)..Good tip but watch for mange...heavy mange at feedlot areas..

Neil

normanrd
12-21-2012, 12:41 PM
on my way home i seen two in the feild as soon as they seen the truck they were on the flat out run. Got me thinking that the sleds have them worked up pretty good this year. I should mention this was north and east of wainwright.

Not sure about the sleds, but sounds like those ones are a little gun shy about trucks! Seems to happen after every hunting season. They get lots of lead flying at them during November. It seems to take a couple of months before they stop acting like the Kennedys.

hunter0968
12-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey elk chaser how was the hunting this morning?

pikeslayer22
12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I,m NW of Edmonton and am seeing the same thing this year .. not as many visible Coyotes as in previous years

Maybe it's the post hunting jitters, but I think it has more to do with available food sources and locations. Rabbit populations are up in many areas and setting up in the heavier cover and packing a shotgun is definately more productive around here.
Same thing east of Edmonton #s down, which is a good thing! Reading the trappers threads and they are saying the same thing