PDA

View Full Version : Florida gator hunting

jason crozier
12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Can anyone recommend an outfitter in Florida for a gator hunt. Will be heading down in March with the family and have a real itch to try gator hunting. Any stories, advice or pictures would be awesome,

thanks guys.

waterhawk
12-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Can anyone recommend an outfitter in Florida for a gator hunt. Will be heading down in March with the family and have a real itch to try gator hunting. Any stories, advice or pictures would be awesome,

thanks guys.

Jason: I have been to Florida twice gator hunting. What part of Florida are you going to?

jason crozier
12-20-2012, 04:01 PM
I will be in the Orlando area and will certainly travel a couple of hours in any direction.

reds
12-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Glen Grizzaffe he is awesme! 1-813-239-4914 call or text him!

jason crozier
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
thanks, i;ll give him a call.

Have you ever brough gator meat, skulls or skins back into canada? i;m thinking it wil lbe a pain in the azz.

JohnB
12-20-2012, 04:46 PM
thanks, i;ll give him a call.

Have you ever brough gator meat, skulls or skins back into canada? i;m thinking it wil lbe a pain in the azz.

Pain in the azz to get back. I got a tanned skin at the sister-in-laws down south. Been asking her bring it up for me next time she comes back to Canada.

MKD
12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.ec.gc.ca/Publications/0D42F8E7-414F-4D81-87DD-17C9D8382728%5CCOM1511_CITIES_Brochure_Trade_e_v6. pdf

Apply for a permit.

gilbertslake
12-21-2012, 09:26 AM
http://www.ec.gc.ca/Publications/0D42F8E7-414F-4D81-87DD-17C9D8382728%5CCOM1511_CITIES_Brochure_Trade_e_v6. pdf

Apply for a permit.

Wow, I always thought that the little real alligator heads for sale in gift shops down there were ok to bring back, but not according to the CITES Appendix II. I guess it is the same for Gator Jerky

MarcoPolo57
12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
It is very easy to bring gator head, hide and meat home. You have to plan ahead, apply for CITES the day you harvest it and then 60 days after the fact you will recieve paperwork and you can bring through customs with no issues.

You only need a place to store the gator hide head and meat, if you know someone there you wont have any issues. You legally can bring it right back to Sweetgrass, Montana then store it until paperwork is approved.

When we went gator hunting we flew out of Great Falls, Montana for this fact and had a place there to store in a freezer. Was a lot of fun and worth doing several times over...........

HuntingAlberta
12-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I am not sure how Gators work with the CITES permits, but I went to Alaska this year and shot a Grizzly Bear. We stopped in the Fish & Wildlife (or whatever they call it up there) registered the bears, had the local biologist age and verify all the information from the bears and 24 hours later we drove all 3 grizzlies across the Canadian Border. Nicest people in the world to deal with on that situation. They helped every way possible, even having the CITES permits overnight transported to Fairbanks from Anchorage as the office ran out for us.

jason crozier
12-21-2012, 01:23 PM
i'll check into the cites permits, hopefully it goes as well as your situations did.

mcreg
12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Don`t worry about finding someone, there are lots and lots of gator guides in the Orlando area. Last minute usually secures the best pricing as well.
We have a home in Davenport so I try get out gator hunting whenever I can find the time. Gators are in every little slough and canal. Make sure whoever you get doesn`t have a `trophy fee`for large gators! Some will charge you up to a $10,000 Trophy fee for a 10-12ft gator. Most guys charge about $300-$500/day or night + licenses for a gator hunt. If you`re satisfied with a 8ft (or less) you`ll only need 1 night. Some even offer Problem gator hunts for gas money! - as they already get paid by the County.
If you need accomodations we rent our home out at $1200/week - 3,000 sq ft 5 bedrm/5 bath, swimming pool w/ hot tub. 20 minutes from DisneyWorld/Epcot - 1 hour from Tampa Beach. And there`s gators in the lake at the back!
Good luck