PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing advice

timbermoose
12-20-2012, 05:20 PM
so i been ice fishing once, when i was bout 10yr old. long time ago..... my 6yr old wants to go and now that i live where the water acually freezes to point where you can safley fish it, i want to give it a try again. so far for christmas im getting 2 ice fishing combo kit thingies(walmart) from my bro-in-law. not sure what to use to get through the ice. don't really want to shell out $60+ for a hand auger if we decide ice fishing is just to cold for us. far as a tent goes, was thinking bout useing some pvc pipe and an old tarp and making a kind of leantoo just to help block the wind. so....? thanks for the advice in advance. timber and gabriel.

hit_theice
12-20-2012, 05:28 PM
where do u live and what do you want to catch? need some more details if u want some more help.

Fishingaddict
12-20-2012, 05:28 PM
I am a second year ice angler but was told a easy way is to buy a cheap camping tent off of kijiji and just cut the floor out of it and you have a cheap ice tent never tried it myself but worth a shot and as far as I know the only way to drill holes is either with a hand auger or a propane/gas one which most are over $300 hope this helps and just remember do not sit in one spot all day if the fish are not biting switch to another spot. Good luck :)
Fishing Addict

Fishingaddict
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
One lake I have been to in the summer is 40 mile reservoir tons of little perch off the dock never tried it in the winter as it is quite the drive but might be worth giving it a shot.

timbermoose
12-20-2012, 05:38 PM
was figuring on going to cavan, reesor, spruce coulie, elkwater lakes and see what we see. my son had a blast fishing them this summer. trout is his favorite. i'm primarily a flyfisherman. when i fish with my kids(6,3 and 2) i pretty much spend my time casting, baiting, untangling, and fixing thier poles for them. and trying to keep them out of the water.

my son claims he's going to catch a trout that would scare jeremy wade(river monster guy). lol

Speckle55
12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
put a tarp down then get in a old sleeping bag and throw a dark blanket over your head .. it works really well when Kim jumps in the bag with you:sHa_shakeshout:

not much fishing but you will be heated up really quick;;;

and who care's if you catch a fish:bad_boys_20:

maybe not if your boys with u just do the 2 tarps and 2 sleeping bags and he can watch too.. one on either side of hole ... RedNeck Fishing

David:)

bloopbloob
12-20-2012, 06:05 PM
If you're really not sure if you'll ever do it again (but you will!) The cheapest/easiest way to give it a try is to go out to a fairly busy lake with just your rods. Without crowding their space (people get upset) you could approach someone out there and explain your situation. Just ask if they'd mind drilling a couple holes for you and your boy. I know I'd be more than happy to, and I'd be willing to bet almost everyone on here would also. There are some grumpy people though, just say thanks and move on. I often offer my gas auger to people struggling with hand augers without them ever asking. As far as shelter, you can just sit in your truck/car and wait for a bite, but hopefully it's nice enough where some folding lawnchairs will be adequate. Good luck!

pelada trochu
12-20-2012, 06:19 PM
If you're really not sure if you'll ever do it again (but you will!) The cheapest/easiest way to give it a try is to go out to a fairly busy lake with just your rods. Without crowding their space (people get upset) you could approach someone out there and explain your situation. Just ask if they'd mind drilling a couple holes for you and your boy. I know I'd be more than happy to, and I'd be willing to bet almost everyone on here would also. There are some grumpy people though, just say thanks and move on. I often offer my gas auger to people struggling with hand augers without them ever asking. As far as shelter, you can just sit in your truck/car and wait for a bite, but hopefully it's nice enough where some folding lawnchairs will be adequate. Good luck!

Same here

Go give her a try. Id look for an old tarp and throw it over your head and something to lay on to peer down the hole and see whats down there. Check out others equipment see whT works ask for recommendations. Etc. Most important be extra warm. Nothing kills outdoor fun like being cold.

timbermoose
12-20-2012, 06:26 PM
anything special that works on any of the lakes mentioned?

azn_rice_man
12-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Head over to Pine Coulee! You get a high chance of catching fish, relaxed regulation with bait, and there's pretty much a guaranteed chance someone else will be there who can drill a hole or 2 for ya!

Either that, or see if anyone is heading out the same day you are and ask to tag along.

Good luck and have fun!

Fishingaddict
12-20-2012, 07:34 PM
If your heading over here chain lakes is great trout fishing baits a bit more complitcated but if you search it i have started a thread on it we go out quite abit might be able meet up there somtime or pine coulee

brobinson
12-21-2012, 12:27 AM
i know cavan got hit pretty hard last year. everybody and their dog were catching nice fish and keeping there limits everyday. Ive been out there a couple times this year so far and there's ~10'' of ice. there's still some nice ones in there if you can find them. nice being 16-18 inches. all the trout in there are fat and healthy. but the bite has been awfully slow so far. it might not be the best choice for the little guy. also, the wind really skips across that lake, and as you know the wind around here this time of year can turn a -10 day into a -25 day. im planning on giving spruce coulee a try this year, to try and catch a few brookies. and there's that rumor about walleye in there as well!

Iceman4
12-21-2012, 07:13 AM
My first time ice fishing was in -34 celcius with a tent pole frame and tarp, propane heater, and a chainsaw to cut square holes in the ice. When I'd punch through the ice with the saw I would get showered with water. It didn't matter though, the water would freeze on the outside of my jacket before it had a chance to soak in.

We quickly upgraded.. :)

Speckle55
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
this will help for Lake Whitefish.. i use a differn,t color but mine is lake specific

David:)

its a quote

Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing for Whitefish

When is the Best Time to Begin

You will find you have the best success fishing for lake whitefish early in the morning. Sunrise till about noon is your best bet. By starting early after sunrise you will find you will have your greatest success as lake whitefish feeding activity will lessen as the sun gets higher in the sky. If your weather conditions include a cloudy day chances are you can increase your fishing success past the noon cutoff. Try to locate areas with a hard bottom and with a good drop off. Because whitefish are a schooling species once you locate one chances are others will be found close by. Drill 5 or 6 holes and fish each one for about 20 minutes. If you have little or no success, move onto the next hole. An auger should be no more than 8 inches in diameter, which should be more than capable of landing any whitefish you encounter during your day of icefishing. Once you drilled your holes, take the time to clean the snow and slush from them. Many times the sound your power auger produces will spook any fish in the area. By taking the time to clean up your holes you give the whitefish time to return to their normal behaviour.

One of the best items a ice fisherman can purchase is a portable fishing tent. You will be spending a great deal of time out on the frozen lake and your comfort is a key ingredient in having an enjoyable day. Comfort will also help in your concentration.

Lake whitefish are bottom feeders in most situations and have been known to eat a wide variety of bottom-living invertebrates as well as smaller fishes. In some areas microscopic planktonic creatures form the majority of their diet. A wire worm jig is one of the most popular lure in the Canadian prairies and imitates the aquatic organisms that lake whitefish love to eat. Ensure you set the hook fast as whitefish have the tendency to spit it out fast. The key is to always be ready to set the hook quickly so it is vital you are always watching your wire worm. A nice 26 inch ice fishing rod is ideal for fishing for Lake whitefish. Ensure the rod has light to medium action as it will help you in feeling the whitefish strike. Braided line works best for icefishing as it retains no memory in the line. This can mean the difference between landing your catch and losing it.

Although Lake whitefish will bite spoons and other lures rigged up with such baits as minnows and leeches, the wire worm jig consistently outperforms all other methods of catching lake whitefish. The most popular colour for a wire worm is red. This colour worm mimics larvae found in most Canadian lakes. Experiment with different colours and sizes to see what works best for you on any given day or on different lakes. Carry a small journal with you to record weather conditions etc .

Bottom is Best

Again because lake whitefish are predominately bottom feeders, make sure you are fishing about a foot off the bottom. Start your presentation within this zone and jig your wire worm once every minute or so to entice any whitefish in the area to come on over and have a look. This suggestion is only a starting point for your day and is not set in stone. If you observe whitefish at various other depths then adjust your presentation to have a good chance at landing them. If possible rig up several rods with a variety of presentations varying the size and colour of your wire worms. This will save you time if one colour and size is not successful.

yulful
12-21-2012, 10:43 AM
It sounds like your in the Medicine Hat area... I have a spare 2-3 man tent and a 6" hand Auger that you can borrow. I've been to Cavan once and had 8 rainbows in two hours. Went to spruce but never fished, the ice was too thin. But that was a month ago it'll be great now. If your going to drive to Spruce I'd recommend going to Michelle res theres a ton of fish in there and they will keep you busy for hours. If your planning on going when it's cold I also have a little propane heater to keep the chill off. Let me know when your planning on going and i'll get everything ready for you.

kevinhits
12-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Very thoughtful of you:)

timbermoose
12-22-2012, 03:04 PM
well i did some prying and found out the rod pole combo kit i/m getting is the "south bend' kit from walmart, my son is getting a celcius rod/pole combo. anyone know much of these? i looked them up on the site but not much info. anygood? what other tackle should i set my sights on? mostly for trout, perch and the pikes. thanks.