PDA

View Full Version : Newell Update?

Gordoats26
06-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Im Planning my first Trip to Newell the weekend after next Hows the walleye fishing there any tips on where to fish. Depth, Structure? I see there is a Prov Campground there so thats probably where we will stay.

KJPFISH
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
We fished Newell yesterday and found the walleye in about 12 ft. of water - mostly in the flats. We trolled spinner rigs with a larger split shot to get them down and tipped with either leeches or larger frozen minnows. Managed 31 walleye and about 12 (very) small pike between us. The largest one went about 26". I expect that the walleye will gradully headout to deeper water over the next few weeks. At the end of June we have caught them in 30' and mostly over structure of some sort.

Good fishing.

HUNTER55
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
WOW 31 WALLEYE ! nice job, must have been a great day ! i got the tags for my boy this year he is 4 years old and cant wait to bring a fish home for mom, i have fished there in the past but never this early, i fish left of the camp ground but had little luck the day we were out, can ya tell me what part of the lake i should be in this time of year ?

KJPFISH
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I suggest getting a color bathymetry map from the SRD at http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/prairies/fisheriesmanagement/bathymetrymapscolour.aspx. Newell has a ton of structure and mid lake humps that can be productive. The area infront of the NW corner inlet canal can also be good early in the season. We tend to troll bottom bouncers with spinner rigs tipped with minnows or leeches, at different depths and structure until we find active fish - sometimes this takes awhile as they often are not in exactly the same location/depth on successive trips. Once the fish are located we may then anchor/jig or drift with the wind/jig or continue trolling over the same area. Look for a few boats in the same general area - they have already likely located the right depth & location. Newall has some big walleye - my biggest last year was a 33" - 12 lb. hog.

Good fishing!

floppychicken
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
.................different depths and structure until we find active fish - sometimes this takes awhile as they often are not in exactly the same location/depth on successive trips. Once the fish are located we may then anchor/jig or drift with the wind/jig or continue trolling over the same area. Look for a few boats in the same general area - they have already likely located the right depth & location. Newall has some big walleye - my biggest last year was a 33" - 12 lb. hog.

Good fishing!

"Holy Crap" :eek:

12lbs out of Newell...Wow, I had no idea the 'eyes' in there were so friggin' BIG ! Do you have a picture of that PIG (or similar) by chance ? Love to see some... If the 'eyes' get that big, surely there must be some Big ***** Pike in there eh ? Anyone have comments on size and quantity of fish in Newell ?

Cheers,

/FC....

bowfin
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
there is no big fish in lake newall better to go way up north and try them leave the lake to people who live close to there i repeat no big fish in the lake:evilgrin:

Buck Krazy
06-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah I know for a fact Newell is a waste of time!!

KJPFISH
06-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes please - everyone head up north or to SK!

crudedude
06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes please - everyone head up north or to SK! I agree with your post KJP ,please head North thanks:D

floppychicken
06-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes please - everyone head up north or to SK!

SWEET !!

Nice pic, thanks for showing !