PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new hunting dog

paul1964
12-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Im looking to get a new hunting dog. spaniel any one now where I can find one.

scrapper
12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Best britts money can buy at a Maple Creek breeder

paul1964
12-20-2012, 07:51 PM
wife wants me to get a springer . she really likes them.

h&t
12-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Forgive me for asking it this way - Who hunts? you or the wife?
Are you getting a hunting dog or a pet or both?
Springers can be handful. Have you seen one in action/at home?
Basically, you need to consider how the dog will fit your life and hunting.
OTOH, it's good when the wife is on board :-)
She won't say - your efing dog ate the remote! :argue2:

paul1964
12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
we both hunt my last buddy past away one year ago on the 21st . we had him for 16 years . he was part of the family. and my best friend. wife would like to get a brown colored one.mist him this year. the season was not the same.

outdoorman
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Pm sent

rickman
12-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Call Jeff at champion sporting dogs,I have 2 friends that both got one from him, hard hunting dogs and both great family dogs

baptiste_moose
12-20-2012, 10:44 PM
There's a breeder by ardrossan that has GSP's crossed with weimeraner. We love our's. So smart and easy to train. Great if there's kids in the picture as well. My 5 yr old wreak's havoc on him and not even so much as a growl out of him. He needs 2 walks a day though. Hi energy. Keeps me in shape and it's better then P90X. I can send pics and info if need be. The breeder is small time but easy to deal with. I was there 4 times before I picked my dog!

Dadirk
12-20-2012, 10:56 PM
I have 3 right now a 6 yr old a 3 yr old and a 16 month. I got my 6 yr old from puppy love kennels from Tofield http://www.puppylovekennels.ca.
I then took my first one and produced 2 liters keeping one from each liter

threeforthree
12-20-2012, 11:13 PM
If you want a hunting dog , get it from hunting lines.... not show lines

Pixel Shooter
12-20-2012, 11:57 PM
why cant you have both ;)

good luck in your search, only wise words I can say is do your homework, 13-16yrs is a long time not to be happy with your choice, take emotion out of it and dont settle!

If you want a hunting dog , get it from hunting lines.... not show lines

BobNewton
12-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Call Jeff at champion sporting dogs,I have 2 friends that both got one from him, hard hunting dogs and both great family dogs

My GSP came from Jeff. Truely loved the experience. Jeff is a class act and hunts all his dogs. Great bloodlines.

ACKLEY ABE
12-21-2012, 07:45 AM
why cant you have both ;)

good luck in your search, only wise words I can say is do your homework, 13-16yrs is a long time not to be happy with your choice, take emotion out of it and dont settle!

You can! A properly bred dog should look like the breed and confirm to the breed standards and have the natural ability to do what the breed was bred for.

Thks for bringing it up. There are so many dogs with both show titles and field titles in this province it's becoming very common.

Thks for bringing it up.

FCLightning
12-21-2012, 07:48 AM
You can! A properly bred dog should look like the breed and confirm to the breed standards and have the natural ability to do what the breed was bred for.

Thks for bringing it up. There are so many dogs with both show titles and field titles in this province it's becoming very common.

Thks for bringing it up.

You realize the guy was asking about Springers don't you?

MKD
12-21-2012, 08:12 AM
PM Sent.

ACKLEY ABE
12-21-2012, 08:21 AM
You realize the guy was asking about Springers don't you?

Hmmmmmm good point.

Tatonka
12-21-2012, 08:57 AM
I've bred Springers from field lines for the past 24 years. Regarding activity level in the home, it's all in how they are taught to behave. Housetraining is more than teaching a dog not to pee on the floor. It's teaching the dog where it's place is, to stay out of the garbage, to lay down when told to, etc. I've seen Brittanies with an energy level that would rival that of any breed, but energy level doesn't have anything to do with how a dog is taught to behave in the house. Every breed of gundog has to be energetic or they will not have the drive to get out and hunt. Watch any dog in an outside kennel run. If the dog never relaxes...if they constantly run back and forth, bark, etc. that's probably how the dog will behave indoors. These are truly hyper dogs, but if the dog lays on his/her doghouse and is generally relaxed most of the time when in a run (as most dogs are), that dog will act the same way in the house if it is taught to.

The vast majority of the pups I've placed over the years are hunting/family companions. They live in the house and they make wonderful family dogs.

I don't have pups and I've stopped taking reservations on future litters, but here's a link to the Canadian Field Trial Clubs.....contact any of the clubs and they should be able to help you find a pup...

http://www.cnsfta.com/web.do?action=loadSite

Some of my Springers relaxing.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/stonebroke/Dog%20Photos/Lefty-Jan162011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/stonebroke/Dog%20Photos/RosieWingsKelsieandLukeChristmas.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/stonebroke/Dog%20Photos/rosie-and-rezcat-2001.jpg

Big Grey Wolf
12-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi, I also have 3 English Field Springer Spaniels I use for pheasent hunting. My wife Susan raises a batch of puppies each year. She has 5 pupppies that will be ready to go in January and would be glad to provide a replacemnt springer for you. They are from good parent stock and she is very reasonable in her pricing to good homes. Send me a E-mail or they are also on Kijiji in Edmonton area. We can forward pictures /parents etc Thanks

bear-scat
12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
My GSP came from Jeff. Truely loved the experience. Jeff is a class act and hunts all his dogs. Great bloodlines.

I'm with you boys!!

jetta5678
12-23-2012, 02:01 PM
PM sent
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p627/jetta5678/IMG_5139.jpg

joshcat
12-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Thks for bringing it up.
A-men!!! That is what you call a BREEDER. Proving in the ring and field what they are producing. calling someone that x-breeds and does not belong to a major breed club attempting to better breeds is like calling a moron that shoots innocent civilians a sniper.

uncle buck
12-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Holy crap- for the love of god avoid show lines!!! You could beat a show dog over the head with a bird and they would have no idea what to do with it. They have no nose -no bird drive -no stamina and waaaay too much hair. They were made to sit around all day looking pretty - not busting brush.

go to a field trial and look at some dogs. You will find one that you will like and get a pup from it.

Sledhead71
12-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Holy crap- for the love of god avoid show lines!!! You could beat a show dog over the head with a bird and they would have no idea what to do with it. They have no nose -no bird drive -no stamina and waaaay too much hair. They were made to sit around all day looking pretty - not busting brush.

go to a field trial and look at some dogs. You will find one that you will like and get a pup from it.

Really ? Guess you and a few others have not hunted over the purdy ones hey?

A few may want to sharpen up their skills while training I guess, instinct is there, just have to refine and work with-in your abilities.

joshcat
12-23-2012, 11:15 PM

I'll put my show dogs up against anything you got head to head any day of the week. put your money where your mouth is.

uncle buck
12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
ummm ok

http://http://www.essft.com/fieldshow.html (http://www.essft.com/fieldshow.html)

I play hockey and so does Sidney Crosby - big difference!! I'm sure you can hunt a show dog, you can also hunt a ****zu - sure it may bump into a few birds on its walk and you may think you have the best dog in the world. If I played peewee players I might think I was pretty good too.

Go to a field trial and put your dogs in - see how they stack up objectively- If they do good for you! If not, well, cognitive dissonance can be a good thing.

catnthehat
12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
ummm ok

http://http://www.essft.com/fieldshow.html (http://www.essft.com/fieldshow.html)

I play hockey and so does Sidney Crosby - big difference!! I'm sure you can hunt a show dog, you can also hunt a ****zu - sure it may bump into a few birds on its walk and you may think you have the best dog in the world. If I played peewee players I might think I was pretty good too.

Go to a field trial and put your dogs in - see how they stack up objectively- If they do good for you! If not, well, cognitive dissonance can be a good thing.
I know of many owners that both show and trial their dogs and win in both venues
I know of one little Britt can run with the best in a ring or field trial.
Cat

uncle buck
12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Brits are the only legit dual dogs out there - the last dual springer was in 1947... I don't see any Brits going to Ames either... just sayin

Tatonka
12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Show vs. Field lines ----- Depends on what breed you are talking about. There hasn't been a Dual Champion English Springer since 1938 and odds are that there probably never will be another one. The two strains have become so different that they really should be registered as separate breeds. There are still some Springers from show lines that will hunt, but it's a hit or miss deal.... Many could care less about birds.

catnthehat
12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Just how big a "show winner " are we talking ?
If we are speaking of the biggest shows in the U.S, canada or England and best in show winners, likely no, but many dogs can still show and do well locally and provincially in both trial and conf0ormatikn shows.
let's face it, most owners are not all about putting in the time needed to trial or show their dogs.
Cat

threeforthree
12-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Blood lines and titles are not everything but they sure are a good starting point. If your buying a pup blind then titles in the first and second generation are proof that the tools should be in place. It's true that titled parents can produce a pup that can't make the grade as a good hunting dog but proven parents and grandparents increase your odds of have a dog that will make a great hunting dog or a dog that can compete at higher levels. If you know both parents in an unproven pedigree and have seen them work in hunting conditions and you liked what you saw then it's not so much of a gamble. Id never take anyones word that ole Duke and Molly are great hunting dogs so we breed them. Over the years I've trained and hunted with several such dogs. Most of the time that great hunting dog just didn't stack up. . Do your homework and you'll wind up with a nice dog. We all start out with a Million dollar dog , and a ten cent trainer.

joshcat
12-24-2012, 01:21 PM
ummm ok

Will I be seeing you there with your dogs? I use the show circuit to confirm I breed within the standards of the breed.

uncle buck
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Show vs. Field lines ----- Depends on what breed you are talking about. There hasn't been a Dual Champion English Springer since 1938 and odds are that there probably never will be another one. The two strains have become so different that they really should be registered as separate breeds. There are still some Springers from show lines that will hunt, but it's a hit or miss deal.... Many could care less about birds.

Amen.

If you want a show dog buy one - if you want a hunting dog buy one. If I read it right you are looking for a hunting dog. If it was me I'd stack my odds and get a line bred field dog.

Most breeds that have split are as different as night and day. Like he said they are different breeds. (size, fur, drive, nose, stamina etc.)

Show people think they are doing the breed a favour by following asthetics but what they are really doing is making dogs that are increasingly useless to their original purpose - regardless of breed. This happens because no one at the dog show knows or cares if that terrier can still hunt rats, or if that springer has any bird sense - everyone applauds its blow dryer haircut and goes home happy. Field and show have very different agendas and get their desired results -(brits exempted) - although most trialers could give a damn about spending a day a a dog show.

As for the dual champ dates - I'll take tatonka's word on 1938 - All I know is that it has never happend in my time.

outdoorman
12-24-2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=17006&d=1260050770

I've been trialling for 20 yrs. never met a springer guy that did both. However, maybe with a good looking dog like mine, I should try it out.

Redline 12
12-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I agree with Uncle Buck if you want to have a good hunting dog try to find a field bred Springer, and they are harder to find than a bench (show) Springer,I had to search a lot a little over a year ago to find mine at Absolute Gun Dogs in Bismarck ,North Dakota. I talked to a lot of breeders who had Springers for sale in Alberta but they were all bench Springers and the breeder tried to tell me they hunt just as well as the field breds, don't believe them, they may hunt Ok , but not as good, I have owned bench Springers and yes Skye, from Puppy Love in Tofield was Ok she was not nearly as good as my previous field bred Springer. And now I am back to a field bred Springer, and what a difference, more energy,speed and endurance, and a better nose and just wanting to hunt instead of being along for the ride. I still have my list of breeders if you are interested, most in the US, a couple in Montana, good luck, and I got lucky , Molly is a very good hunter and family dog, great with my grand children.

pikergolf
12-29-2012, 09:58 PM
You might try Syd Pellow out of Dunmore, I have one of his pups and she is a firecracker. These are field Springers.

paul1964
01-01-2013, 06:44 AM
getting frustrated just came from a place in the us. to pick up a new pup. well the person that had them brought four and the mother was in the back of the truck. went in for a coffee when I came out took a look saw the mother in a cage she was in poor shape. the pups just looked like they were to young went for a coffee and to a break to men s room called state trooper . dogs are from puppy mill the AASPCA now has them man and women were arrested. . shame that anyone can treat animal that way . still looking for a pop. one that is full of energy . as the wife says " your dog went crazy every time you pulled out your guns or drove up to the house" had Fred for 16 years and he was the best .

outdoorman
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Deal with a reputable breeder, and these things won't happen. They are out to better the breed. Odds of getting a great dog without any troubles will increase greatly. You might pay a little more, but it will be worth it in the long run.

jryley
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Amen.

If you want a show dog buy one - if you want a hunting dog buy one. If I read it right you are looking for a hunting dog. If it was me I'd stack my odds and get a line bred field dog.

Most breeds that have split are as different as night and day. Like he said they are different breeds. (size, fur, drive, nose, stamina etc.)

Show people think they are doing the breed a favour by following asthetics but what they are really doing is making dogs that are increasingly useless to their original purpose - regardless of breed. This happens because no one at the dog show knows or cares if that terrier can still hunt rats, or if that springer has any bird sense - everyone applauds its blow dryer haircut and goes home happy. Field and show have very different agendas and get their desired results -(brits exempted) - although most trialers could give a damn about spending a day a a dog show.

As for the dual champ dates - I'll take tatonka's word on 1938 - All I know is that it has never happend in my time.

and youll never see a chessie win a field trial either. I have no clue why people think trialing means good hunting dog. In my experience its quite the opposite. Id much rather try and bring the birdiness out of a big english 'show line' lab than shooting over a hyper active american field line.

Field trials mean jack all bud. Now MAYBE if you stated hunt test, you
Might have somewhat of a point....but
Many show/hunting dogs excel in hut tests, so really you have no point.

Razor Labs
01-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Paul1964........

Give me a call or email me I would love to discuss hunting dogs with hunting dogs with you.

info@razorlabs.ca

www.razorlabs.ca

Razor Labs
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Hey Paul1964........

Give me a call or email me I would love to discuss hunting dogs with you........................

info@razorlabs.ca

www.razorlabs.ca

.................................................. ................

joshcat
01-01-2013, 09:34 PM

once again............. Amen Brother!

Bigmoosehunter
01-02-2013, 03:02 PM
One of the best hunting dogs is a duck toller if you are waterfowl hunting.

jetta5678
01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
and youll never see a chessie win a field trial either. I have no clue why people think trialing means good hunting dog. In my experience its quite the opposite. Id much rather try and bring the birdiness out of a big english 'show line' lab than shooting over a hyper active american field line.

Note that Uncle Buck and Tatonka are referring to "English Springer Spaniel Field Trials", (correct me if I'm wrong guys) which in my opinion is as close as you could realistically simulate upland hunting. I haven't seen a Field Bred Springer yet at these Trials that couldn't hunt upland. As well, you will not find Show Springers at these Trials. 4 Trials per year in Calgary alone, many more in Alberta, if you are interested PM me.

Sneeze
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM

While I have no opinion on the ability of the different breeds to compete in field trials/hunt tests...

A statement like that is usually made by somebody who is part of a dog/handler team that is not at the level to compete in field trials. Please do not assume I am trying to be insulting here. It is pretty difficult competing in trials - its not all just natural ability or even trainer ability. (Time, money, dog health, your health, dependable vehicle, access to water in winter, access to places to train year round...)

If you have a retriever that can win field trials, it means a lot. (not jack all).
A retriever that consistantly finishes open level trials, will easily finish any hunt test you put him in (with a little bit of training). A retriever that consistantly gets a ribbon at a hunt test, will not necessarily be able to finish a trial. (even with a little bit of training).

In regards to how they hunt - who cares! You put the time in with your pup, go through the good and bad with him & your going to be damn proud when he digs up his first rooster, even if he puts it up with his back end.

I agree with UncleBuck, get a pup of field trial breeding.

jetta5678
01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
If you have a retriever that can win field trials, it means a lot. (not jack all).
A retriever that consistantly finishes open level trials, will easily finish any hunt test you put him in (with a little bit of training). A retriever that consistantly gets a ribbon at a hunt test, will not necessarily be able to finish a trial. (even with a little bit of training).

Well said Sneeze, I was pretty certain not that much had changed in Retriever Trialing from back when I was in the game.

M.C. Gusto
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
While I have no opinion on the ability of the different breeds to compete in field trials/hunt tests...

A statement like that is usually made by somebody who is part of a dog/handler team that is not at the level to compete in field trials. Please do not assume I am trying to be insulting here. It is pretty difficult competing in trials - its not all just natural ability or even trainer ability. (Time, money, dog health, your health, dependable vehicle, access to water in winter, access to places to train year round...)

In regards to how they hunt - who cares! You put the time in with your pup, go through the good and bad with him & your going to be damn proud when he digs up his first rooster, even if he puts it up with his back end.

Good post and true

jryley
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM

no insult taken! I didnt mean field trialing dogs arent good field dogs by any means. Point i was trying to make was that some dogs are bred to trial, some
Dogs are bred to show, some to be field dogs and some a combo of all three. Just because a dog is from trialing lines and rules the ribbons when it comes to field trialing by no means makes him the ideal 'everyday' hunting dog. Thats where my comment regarding chessies came from. Field trials seem eerily catered to american line labs (speed etc). I personally beleive the reason behind this is labs are the most common hunting partners around and in turn the people holding such events are 'lab people'. Doesnt mean theyre any better than a chessie, or griff, or golden etc etc etc though. Just means theyre better suited for that type of event. Much like a specialist olympic athlete.

Maybe the guy really cares about how his dog looks? Case in point birdines can be brought out of even mutts. So if the guy only wants a good looking dog that will be a companion in the field and do his job flushing and bringing back birds then who cares what line he goes with? I just bought a chesapeake pup. Youll never see him win a trial because theyre slower than labs, uglier etc. Until they instill a particular 'ice breaking/-35 wing clipped goose retrieval' he wouldntstand a chance against the labs in a trial! But im ok with that, as i only want him to be my buddy and bring me birds anddo so until i quit, not vice versa. Havingshot over a lot of good dogs with a lot of good people its MHO that the sign of a good dog is the ability to do the job with little to no in field instruction. Best dog i ever had was a chocolate whos only comman i ever uttered was 'go
Get em'. He did the rest. Id personally lose my mind seeing a guy blow his whistle and work hand signals in the goose field. Lol but thats just me. And i do mean that light heartedly. All im saying is some guys measure the quality of a retriever or bird dog by how much 'education' they have or how many ribbons, i dont. I base my opinion on how hassle free they are in the field and how many birds they bring back....and how mellow they are on a friday night watching a movie with my wife and son.

I think it just comes down to personal preference. And no i dont hunt springers bu im assuming my statements can generally hold true for most breeds.

Best of luck in your search!

pikergolf
01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
From my limited experience with Springers, the biggest difference between field and show dogs is desire. I've hunted over both, mostly field and there is no comparison, not even close. Having said that, in my limited experience, field dogs also need far more work and exercise to be happy, they are really, really drive.

Pixel Shooter
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Sneeze/ Jryley, both make some valid points, not sure I necessarily agree with all that has been said, but we all have opinions LOL :)
Running trials is what we call the Olympics of doggie games bar none, what is asked of these dogs, a small fraction of a percentage can do it at a all age level, call it freaks of nature because that talent is beyond exceptional. The amount of time ,dedication, resources as Sneeze eludes to is no joke. Unless you train 11 mths a year, have the grounds to do it to teach new concepts and the talent in a dog to do it, you will be donating your entry fees. If no one has never seen a field trial, be worth taking an afternoon to watch these dogs, sight to behold what is asked and done. Too bad as we had the Nationals here last year that brought allot of dogs all over to compete.

Logically one would think that a field trial dog could do any hunt test, I dont believe this to be true because actually judging these events i can speak first hand, not saying most cant, but many do not. Totally different game, there is no white jackets in hunt test, it is all retired guns. when you watch QAA, most dogs will run into problems with retired guns plus the line manners are not always the best lol. Many successful FT dogs are not used for hunting for obvious reasons but many that compete do, they always dont have the best manners in the blind. Shooting live flyers is very different than training and competing with dead birds. those people in the US who compete are lucky to be able to use live birds.

I do not believe a dog that hasnt been trained and left to think for himself to hunt is my ideal hunting dog. that whistle blowy thing and hand signals to me is important in having a hunting dog because a dog, even a super dog will not see all birds fall, pretty hard to retrieve when they have no idea a bird is even down. Based on your hunting preference and style, Jryley you bought the right breed...

Regardless on hunt test or FT titles and pedigrees, dogs that have this in their pedigree will reduce your risk of of finding a dog that cannot just only do the work but thoroughly enjoy it. If you find a strong pedigree, there is still so many questions to ask let alone most people would not enjoy having a high drive dog with no off switch. but the pedigree is the first place I would be looking for , second place I would be looking for is "repeat" breedings, their is a reason they are repeating and surely reduces your risk in finding what you are looking for. last piece of advise, dont pay all the attn to the stud of the litter. You see a ton of talent on the stud side that has proven themselves yet the bitch is ok breed but unproven, the bitch's I believe are as equally important.

These comments are obviously not directed or based on my experience with springers but I see no reason it would not apply to any breed as said.

jryley
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Sneeze/ Jryley, both make some valid points, not sure I necessarily agree with all that has been said, but we all have opinions LOL :)
Running trials is what we call the Olympics of doggie games bar none, what is asked of these dogs, a small fraction of a percentage can do it at a all age level, call it freaks of nature because that talent is beyond exceptional. The amount of time ,dedication, resources as Sneeze eludes to is no joke. Unless you train 11 mths a year, have the grounds to do it to teach new concepts and the talent in a dog to do it, you will be donating your entry fees. If no one has never seen a field trial, be worth taking an afternoon to watch these dogs, sight to behold what is asked and done. Too bad as we had the Nationals here last year that brought allot of dogs all over to compete.

Logically one would think that a field trial dog could do any hunt test, I dont believe this to be true because actually judging these events i can speak first hand, not saying most cant, but many do not. Totally different game, there is no white jackets in hunt test, it is all retired guns. when you watch QAA, most dogs will run into problems with retired guns plus the line manners are not always the best lol. Many successful FT dogs are not used for hunting for obvious reasons but many that compete do, they always dont have the best manners in the blind. Shooting live flyers is very different than training and competing with dead birds. those people in the US who compete are lucky to be able to use live birds.

I do not believe a dog that hasnt been trained and left to think for himself to hunt is my ideal hunting dog. that whistle blowy thing and hand signals to me is important in having a hunting dog because a dog, even a super dog will not see all birds fall, pretty hard to retrieve when they have no idea a bird is even down. Based on your hunting preference and style, Jryley you bought the right breed...

Regardless on hunt test or FT titles and pedigrees, dogs that have this in their pedigree will reduce your risk of of finding a dog that cannot just only do the work but thoroughly enjoy it. If you find a strong pedigree, there is still so many questions to ask let alone most people would not enjoy having a high drive dog with no off switch. but the pedigree is the first place I would be looking for , second place I would be looking for is "repeat" breedings, their is a reason they are repeating and surely reduces your risk in finding what you are looking for. last piece of advise, dont pay all the attn to the stud of the litter. You see a ton of talent on the stud side that has proven themselves yet the bitch is ok breed but unproven, the bitch's I believe are as equally important.

I take the 'selected the right breed' comment as a massive compliment pixel! Thank you. Means a lot. Especially since i oicked you brain over PM to
The point im sure you were annoyed. Lol. makes me feel comfortable knowing my 2 years of research might pay off. Already planning for the yellow lab pup to be selected inthe next year so ill keep you
Posted, and seeing as how itll hit close to home with you...expect more annoying PM's. Lol.

And thank you for further clarifying my points on trialing dogs. Theres pros to trialing dogs, but also a hell of a lot of cons. I long ago decided i wanted a dog that had drive, but not overdrive. Independence in the field, but not over indepedent. And to be honest...even though its kind of an oxymoron...quality looks in my...erhm...chessie. Lol

Different strokes for different folks. But saying trialing lines are THE ONLY way to go is far from an educated statement because in many cases thats absolutely wrong. Now if youre speaking of bloodline, i for sure would want to see a couple trialing dogs in the family tree, but its definitely not necessary to have the direct parents of your pups as trialing champs. My pup had some trialing family members about 3 gens back, with a hunt tester closer to the direct litter (father and mother). But what held the most weight was the fact my breeder sent me video of dad AND mom in real action operating from a goose blind.

I would say real time real life hunting pedigree (meaning the parents partake in actual hunts with owners) is more important. If those parents happen to be show dogs that double as gundogs then boom! Done deal