PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder

tara_13
12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
I have no idea where and what kind to get.. Any advice before tomorrow..??
Thank you

BeeGuy
12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
What is your price range?

Ice fishing only?

Boat and ice?

Jack Fish
12-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Any of the big names ie:Hummingbird, Marcum etc will give you everything you need. Just remember you do pay for quality and that there are a some units with functions the basic angler doesn't need. Go with what fits in your budget.

I have a Hummingbird 35 that tells me the depth and when fish are present and how they are responding to the presentation. I don't need too much else. I bought this one because of speaking with Hummingbird's warranty department before I purchased. Yes, BEFORE. The first number was the exact one I needed and I actually spoke with a real live person!

I spent almost 200 hours with it last ice season and it never gave me any grief or false positives. I'm happy

tara_13
12-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi, No its not for ice fishing.. Havent mastered that quite yet. I am going to try it this year. Its for next summer on the boat.
Thank you for the response though .. Very well needed !! :)

azn_rice_man
12-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Bass Pro has the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI on sale for $399 from $600+ on Boxing Day. I just got the Elite 4 myself and love it for ice fishing. Don't have a boat, but I'm sure it would be good. If you ever want to ice fish with it, you can buy the ice pack for $150, too.

BeeGuy
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
I've been looking at quite a few models for my pa who is not digital savvy.

What I have come up with in the $300-400 range is the

Humminbird 581i HD DI.

In canada it runs about $370, but in the states it is $299.

It has GPS, traditional 2D display, and the fancy downscan imaging.

It is dual beam and can give up a view upto something like 75degrees.

If I were to get a new sonar it would be this one.

However, the determining factor is your budget.