PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake Ice

WillyWalleyeSlayer
12-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I was out thur 20 dec 2012, the ice is between 10 inches and 14 inches not includind the foot of snow on top. To cold to stay out all day but did get a hot bite. :) several pike (small) and one walleye. Driving may be disasterous until we get realy cold .

lund17
12-21-2012, 07:08 PM
What side on the lake did you go out on?

WillyWalleyeSlayer
12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I was out thur 20 dec 2012, the ice is between 10 inches and 14 inches not includind the foot of snow on top. To cold to stay out all day but did get a hot bite. :) several pike (small) and one walleye. Driving may be disasterous until we get realy cold .

I was on the east side closest to the river where the park is.

Walleyemagnet
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Did you notice if there's the usual highway out to Volkswagen yet?

lund17
01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Thought I would give an update on ice conditions and fishing. I spent most of the weekend at the north end of the lake. Ice was 15" thick with little or no flood water. Fishing was slow so yesterday we deceided to head over to provincal boat launch and check things out. Talked with some guys there and things were slow also. We saw a truck trail heading over to volkswagon point so deceided to give it a go. We did eventually make it over to volswagon point but it was hard going. Anywhere from 12" to 24" of snow on the lake. Lots of flood water and breaking ice. 4" inches of ice than 4" inches water under that, with finally about 12" inches of good ice under that. We hit about 30 spots that ranging from 10 yards to 30 yards across. Almost made it there but finally got stuck. There was group of guys wth four trucks out there and came to help us out. I was very grateful and thanked them for the help. Finally got out and set up for fishing. Over four hours of fishing and only a few nibbles. The other guys were constanly moving all over volkswagon point, and they could only get a couple of fish on the ice. Another group of guys came across on sleds and set up for a couple of hours, but no luck either.

Denfinitely not the wisest decision I ever made driving over there and would not recommend driving out onto the ice for any great distance. I will be sticking to my rhino and pulling my shack out with that.