PDA

View Full Version : Two Hills cat

Dean
12-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Has anyone heard about the large cougar shot in Hairy Hill Two Hills area?Is this a rumor the talk isthere are alot of them along the NS river.

bowtech3006
12-22-2012, 08:44 AM
There are some but I highly doubt a high population exist on nsr except towards the headwaters. jmo but if there were allot you would hear about it allot more. I know I cut cat tracks in strathcona three years ago. There elusive critters. That's why man hunts with dogs.

C Taylor
12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
About two weeks ago I cut a track between Viking and hwy 16. The track wasn't a large cougar but it does seem every thing seen on the farm land where it is unusual is always huge. I don't know how many times I have heard of a huge bear being seen. When in reality it's just a young one looking for territory.

Lefty-Canuck
12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
My hunting partner saw a cat several years ago near Viking while coyote hunting. If he says he saw a cat he did....he has a full mount of one on his wall that he took with a bow.

LC

Dick284
12-22-2012, 09:35 AM
This is not surprising at all.
Bears up there a far mor populous than a guy would figure, and yup cats follow the river. Chit there are cat sightings all the time from DV to Genasee, why couldn't there be a few kitties up that far.

IR_mike
12-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I cut tracks along the sandy river in 1996 and twice since then.

Our mule deer population seemed to vanish in the early to mid 90's.

Now they are only found in open areas and never encountered in the bush.

Wonder why?

chriscosta
12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
My uncle n aunt live at lac sante right up by two hills and hes had cougars and many bears in his trees his dog likes to chase things lol

Pincherguy
12-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Its a lot of years now, but when I was younger we hunted deer along the Oldman river between Lethbridge and Picture Butte. Over the years we saw a couple of bull elk, a cow moose, three different black bears and a very large cougar. These critters followed the river for what ever reason. At that time no one even thought of carrying a camera so, no proof. We told a few of the vets at that time and most of them said, Ya right, what you been drinkin'
Pg

brother1
12-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm between Vegreville and Viking and about 2 years ago there was a cougar on the edge of the field in my back yard, my neighbor saw it. It was in his pasture digging after a badger, then he came about 2 miles over to my place. I called fish and wildlife and they confirmed that there were some cougars around, but were mainly after the mule deer. I've noticed a lot less mule deer since then, but it could've been the hard winters as well.

ditch donkey
12-22-2012, 02:47 PM
A friend of mine lives, 2 miles east of Hairy Hill. He has seen antelope on his land, a big cat is not unrealistic. Plus Hairy Hill is only about 10 miles to the river.

Dick284
12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Was talking with my wife's cousin.
He reminded me of the in laws neighbor having a cat raise heck with there sheep some 5 or more years back.
They lived about a mile and a half from the NSR, right near Ispas.