PDA

View Full Version : Bears Around Caroline/Rocky??

trapshooter
12-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey All,
My father and I have been asked to take a new time hunter on his first bear hunt, we did not agree to anything yet but are certainly thinking about it.
I have been lucky enough to shoot 2 bear myself, 1 with my rifle the 2nd with my recurve bow. The problem is both of the bears were taken in way northern Alberta and we are not planning on traveling that far. Is there many bears around Caroline/Rocky area? What others areas would we have a fairly good chance of a bear? I guess I should mention he wants to do it this coming spring or fall. Thanks for any tips guys and gals!
Trap

mooseslayer1
12-22-2012, 09:05 PM
lots of bears around burnstick lake area

H380
12-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Depends on what kind you want .. lots of those black ones and a few with long claws and humped backs .. Try west of Swan lake .

Grizzly Adams
12-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Depends on what kind you want .. lots of those black ones and a few with long claws and humped backs .. Try west of Swan lake .

Bears there, but you'll have to hunt a lot harder and have way more competition. No guarantees . Also, cause of the hump backed ones no baiting in most places. I go there, mostly cause it isn't far and it's nice country, if you really want to shoot a bear, make the extra effort and go north. :D Friend of ours just got beck from an oil sands project. One of her jobs was keeping track of animal sightings. Most common was bears.

Grizz

Redneck Renagade
12-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Whitecourt through fox creek has an abundance of bears in there

Rackmastr
12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I've hunted lots between Caroline/Nordegg/Rocky and there are always bears around if you time it right with green grass.

The most I've seen in a day is around 8-10 but on average a guy should be able to see 3-4 bears in a day if things are going good.

Duk Dog
12-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I've hunted lots between Caroline/Nordegg/Rocky and there are always bears around if you time it right with green grass.

The most I've seen in a day is around 8-10 but on average a guy should be able to see 3-4 bears in a day if things are going good.

Haha whatever Rack! :tongue2:

Seriously though - people not bear hunting with me apparently do see that many bears in a day in that neck of the woods.

pseelk
12-23-2012, 01:09 PM

X2.Start looking around mid to end of May,with the last week of may bieng the best time to hunt them if you are spot and stalk hunting.

Gumbi
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
i see the most bears around first week in sept. west of rocky, bowseason...

trapshooter
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
X2.Start looking around mid to end of May,with the last week of may bieng the best time to hunt them if you are spot and stalk hunting.

I have never spotted and stalked bears in that type of area... would you just spot them on a road or in a clearing or what?

Rackmastr
12-23-2012, 08:44 PM
I have never spotted and stalked bears in that type of area... would you just spot them on a road or in a clearing or what?

Ditches of lease roads, cutlines, and the odd cutblock. For the most part, if you're near any gas pipeline you should have a ton of green grass from the heated pipe, and the sides of lease roads seem to be the best areas I've ever found. Have seen a couple dandy bears come out of that country before.

Just be prepared to put some miles on the truck and you'll see bears if the timing is right. Try to avoid May long weekend...too much activity and seems to keep the bears in a bit more than they are when the crowds arent around.