PDA

View Full Version : Packing ammunition for Africa?

ditch donkey
12-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Just doing the final packing for my Safari. I have my ammunition packed in a metal box that came with my gun safe. The cartridges not touching each other, and all packed with foam so the can't move. But the lock on the box is just a normal key lock. Does the ammo box need to have a TSA lock on it? I have TSA locks on my rifle case and, and the suitcase that the ammo will be in, but the box itself is just a standard key latch.

Do I need to hotshot to home depot?

Sledhead71
12-23-2012, 08:25 AM
You should be just fine.. Ammunition locked and separate from your weapons when I travelled. Just used a smaller cash style box with cheap lock for my ammunition.

Enjoy Africa, great place to tip critters over :)

Deer Hunter
12-23-2012, 08:25 AM
TSA locks are only required if you go thru the US so you should be fine. Who is your airline? And route to Africa ? Sounds exciting!!

ditch donkey
12-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I believe I am over thinking things. Rereading the airline requirements. Nowhere does it mention TSA, only the word, "locked."

Leaving on the 25th to South Afica, via London. Frankfurt on the return. Really starting to sink in now.

As a side note, this morning I laid my rifle on the foam in my Pelican case, and cut it out. Was just about to throw the cut out rifle shape away, then I had a better idea. My 18 month old is now running around the house with it, calling moose, and shooting them. Awesome! Half he time he's holding it upside down, but let's cut him some slack.

mcreg
12-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Just to clarify !- TSA locks are not mandatory anywhere, including the U.S!! however they will make it much easier as Customs requires firearm inspection on way or another. If you don't use TSA locks then you must be present with a key and if you're not they don't go! Simple as that.
As for ammunition it must be in a case/box. A factory case/box will saffice and in some cases are better. I have had reloads scrutinized as they were not in a factory box. they didn't confiscate them but it did hold us up for over an hour! Ammunition and firearms must be packed seperately. in different luggage. Pack your gun with bolt out. Air Canada requires it as do most of their Star Alliance partners.
If you are going to South Africa have the forms filled out , make sure they are in Black ink, and don't fret about S/A Police. I have found a $10-$20 tip to the Airport Porter, gets you personilized service. Forms available on web.
If there is anything else you have questions about send mea PM. I got to Africa every spring, although I have not been to every counry there.
Good Hunting

mcreg
12-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Just read your last post. - that is the prefered route. You will be in London for appox. 8-9 hours ample time to tour. There are bonded storage lockers at the bottem of the arrivals ramp to leave your carry-on, take the Express train and you're downtown in 25 minutes. Within walking distance to Buckingham Palace, War Museum, Hyde Park, Westminster Abbey, etc. In Franfrurt hopefully you're on Luftansa's new Airbus 380! What a plane. On the other hand it holds 600 so luggage retrieval and Customs takes a while. When I was on it last spring we even had our own Executive Chef.
In Joburg, ONLY LET A ORANGE VESTED PORTER handle your luggage the rest are scammers and have been know to bolt with one's luggage. Make sure all your luggage is secured. If you don't have locks use pull ties. If the pull ties are missing someone has been in your luggage call the airline rep before taking possession it is their responsibility. More likely to happen on the way home?
Have Fun

ditch donkey
12-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Reg, the express is closed for Maintenence on the 26, as is the other high speed train. But the subway is open. One train to Picadilly circus.

Is it necessary to have trigger locks on the rifle, or a lock thru the breech?

mcreg
12-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Quick answer -NO only the CASE MUST BE LOCKED>

If you happen to buy any artifact or curios maost taxidermists will include in your shipemnt at no chage. As well, freight goes by mass not necessarily weight so shoud be no extra $$ on that side as well.
Have a great time!!!!

MKD
12-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Make sure you have your transit permit for the return flight through Frankfurt.

Have a blast.

mcreg
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
not sure what MKD is refereing to? I never ever have had to have a transfer ticket thru Frankfurt or any where in Europe. At one time you needed a Vistor Visa/permit for East Germany?
So unless it has changed in the past 8 months, a valid Canadian passport is all you should require.
But to be on the safe side call your Travel Agent or the Airlines!

MKD - if I'm missing something please enlighten me!