PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting questions

Newf
12-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Was chatting with a local farmer today and he has asked me if I would like to come out and take care of a few of the coyotes that are being a nuisance. Sounds like fun right? That's what I thought too! However minor hiccup in the plan...I've never hunted coyotes before so I've got a couple questions.

1)What type of rifle is recommended? 22-250? 222? 223?
2) What would I do with the coyotes after they're dispatched?
3) Any particular call that works best?

Any info or tips would be appreciated!

airbornedeerhunter
12-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Was chatting with a local farmer today and he has asked me if I would like to come out and take care of a few of the coyotes that are being a nuisance. Sounds like fun right? That's what I thought too! However minor hiccup in the plan...I've never hunted coyotes before so I've got a couple questions.

1)What type of rifle is recommended? 22-250? 222? 223?
2) What would I do with the coyotes after they're dispatched?
3) Any particular call that works best?

Any info or tips would be appreciated!

22-250 or .223 are both excellent coyote calibers, as for the coyotes you can leave them in the bush or find somone who wants the pelts, i.e. a trapper or skin them out yourself and have a couple tanned for the man cave. As for the calls, it all depends on how much you want to spend, you can get inexpensive mouth calls or hand held audio recorded ones. I have a couple of Cass Creek electronic calls and a hunters specialities one that work off a remote so the sound does'nt come from where you are sitting. Cottontail in distress works really well and some barks, howls and yelps will help locate them. Good luck.

deepfried
12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
do a search for what calibre , many many threads with many many different opinions , I personally use a .223 but all yours listed there will get the job done ! As for what to do with them after there is just as many things to do .. leave them there , take him to a taxidermist if you want , or I have even dropped a few of mine off at a hutterite colony .

airbornedeerhunter
12-23-2012, 05:26 PM
If you are looking for a decent rifle that is relatively inexpensive and comes with glass. try a savage axis like this one in .223, some guys upgrade the glass but I find it perfectly ok for dogs.

pikeslayer22
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
If you are looking for a decent rifle that is relatively inexpensive and comes with glass. try a savage axis like this one in .223, some guys upgrade the glass but I find it perfectly ok for dogs.
Good enough guns for $ but the triggers suck real bad!

airbornedeerhunter
12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Good enough guns for $ but the triggers suck real bad!

Most guys I know that have one don't have an issue with the trigger, neither do I. Some don't like it and think it's too heavy but thats an easy fix with a quick snip off the spring.

Cooeylover
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
.223 - $9/box ammo, carrys up really good
.22-250 - $21/box ammo carrys up a whole lot farther
now it depends on how much ya wanna shoot the gun ya buy.
.243 is the same price for ammo as a 22-250 and ya can hunt deer with it. i THINK it carrys up a bit farther too. but not sure
good luck and post pics!!

scooter123
12-23-2012, 08:45 PM
If you are skinning them yourself, put them in a garbage bag first and spray them with raid, tie up the bag and let it sit for an hour...... they are full of fleas!!!!

Good Luck!!

Jims71duster
12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Can't believe you all missed the obvious,,,,,, get a gun and bring me with you,,lol,,I got some calls and love shooting them darn dawgs. I use a 25-06 with 85 gr ballistic tips,,kinda gives them that long distance feeling in case the wounded puppy call doesn't stop them from running after the first one folds up.

Jims71duster
12-23-2012, 09:34 PM
.223 - $9/box ammo, carrys up really good
.22-250 - $21/box ammo carrys up a whole lot farther
now it depends on how much ya wanna shoot the gun ya buy.
.243 is the same price for ammo as a 22-250 and ya can hunt deer with it. i THINK it carrys up a bit farther too. but not sure
good luck and post pics!!

Grain down a 25-06 faster and farther than a 243.. Ammo is a bit tougher to find but worth it. Gives you more smack come deer season too.

coyotekiller
12-23-2012, 11:32 PM
22-250, 223 243. If you have the money I would get a foxpro. Hand calls work well to. And you can sell the coyotes after u shoot them

szeedawg
08-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Dumb question for you guys. If a landowner has yotes and wants help getting rid of them, but it's off season, what's the protocol to get permission to take them? Thanks!

mr.blonde
08-28-2014, 07:46 PM
I believe the only time there is a season on coyote is when you're in the 'green' zone.

Bushmaster
08-28-2014, 07:50 PM
And if you're thinking about doing this anytime soon....it's too early for the pelts to be worth anything.
Any of the calibers you mentioned will work.

mr.blonde
08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
And if you're thinking about doing this anytime soon....it's too early for the pelts to be worth anything.
Any of the calibers you mentioned will work.

X2 - wait til January if you want the pelt. As someone else already pointed out, watch out for fleas and mange.

szeedawg
08-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Hey guys, I've answered my own dumb question. Chapter and verse is in the Guide to Trapping Regs, page 21: "Coyotes may be hunted (but not trapped), without a licence, at all times of the year throughout the province..." and then it goes on to lay out the specific rules of who/when/where. Hope that helps somebody.

223hunter
09-15-2014, 09:31 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/15/a4bc306e6f0432d44da01fbf48aa5cc6.jpg

I Donno about that. This says the season on coyotes is from the opening of big game till the end of May? I always thought it was year round. Anyone got some clarification on this?

Ranch11
09-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Used to be year round in the green zone, and I always thought it was year round on land that you have written permission on.
Unless things have changed...

buddybuckhunter
09-15-2014, 09:49 PM
My fur buyer says furs are good starting in nov, and usually good until march.

Jordan Smith
09-15-2014, 10:09 PM
I noticed that change in the regs this year, too. Used to say year round. Now it's the same as the wolves.

Smokinyotes
09-15-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm going to have to check, I think that is new about baiting coyotes as well.

HillTophunter
09-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Go under bowhunting in big game regulations there is a sections called " Access for control of livestock predation" click on that and read more in there it basically tells you coyotes on private land with permission is open all year long.. Just read through it to make sure everything you are looking for is there

pikergolf
09-15-2014, 10:33 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/15/a4bc306e6f0432d44da01fbf48aa5cc6.jpg

I Donno about that. This says the season on coyotes is from the opening of big game till the end of May? I always thought it was year round. Anyone got some clarification on this?

This is found in the general regulations section.

Access for Control of Livestock Predation

Black Bear and Coyote*
Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

I don't know where leased grazing land would fit into this.

Red Bullets
09-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Coyotes in Alberta are in early prime in late october, full prime mid november till early january, late prime in january and past prime and rubbed by february.
The later in the season..the more the guard hair will be damaged.