PDA

View Full Version : Any one have experience ice fishing on Abraham lake?

browning375
12-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Looking for anyone who has ice fished Abraham lake west of Nordegg? Is it too dangerous to fish with ice on it or should a guy forget about driving all the way out there?

Thx.

#1younggun
12-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Dont waste your time, it's way to dangerous. It will freeze over then the dam will open up and drop the water level... I heard of some guys who went out one winter drilled some holes only to find that the water was 10+ feet below the ice.

BGSH
12-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Heard there is huge lakers in this lake due to low fishing pressure, if you can find a safe deep spot on the lake maybe you will catch some monsters, good luck

fish gunner
12-24-2012, 12:16 PM
If a guy has the time to watch the res freeze up, you can learn the nuances of the lake. These big waters are deadly without adequate knowledge of the water , springs , flow pattern , water levels all affect ice formation. as the levels drop the flow shifts to the old channel . Ice that was 24" can be down to mere inches in hrs if they increase flow on the draw down . Springs can form holes in very thick ice leaving a manhole sized opening that is covered by new snow or just a crust of ice. I have witnessed a 3' opening in ice 3' thick in January a tempts near - 25 . What you ask can be done with lots of time , knowledge and experience with a chosen body of water. Showing up to fish from info off the net ... the cost could be your life. We may have a member with the knowledge you seek,good luck , stay safe.

tight line
12-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Was there two weeks ago! WIDE OPen!!! No joke. Probably a few inches by now...I fish it alot. There is big fish in there, but very hit and miss. Like others said ice is very unpredictable, the dam is high right now so they will be dropping it over the winter i imagine. Which makes for Sh!tty ice conditions!

browning375
12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I don't want to risk my life for a fish, so I guess I'll try it in the summer.

BGSH
12-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I don't want to risk my life for a fish, so I guess I'll try it in the summer.

Summer can be even a more dangerous time of year to fish ABRHAM lake, that lake creates huge waves, many storms pop up in a second and it gets windy in a hurry, many people i talk to say they won't fish it in the summer because of this,

Sloughsharkjigger
12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Summer can be even a more dangerous time of year to fish ABRHAM lake, that lake creates huge waves, many storms pop up in a second and it gets windy in a hurry, many people i talk to say they won't fish it in the summer because of this,

Windy point..... Didn't get that name for nothing. Hang on to your hats boys....

Sloughsharkjigger
12-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Dont waste your time, it's way to dangerous. It will freeze over then the dam will open up and drop the water level... I heard of some guys who went out one winter drilled some holes only to find that the water was 10+ feet below the ice.

Good point younggun!

bentley
12-24-2012, 05:30 PM

I have heard the vary same story from Gramps & his buddy , they were going to try it a few years ago but had run across a couple of fellows that had the same experience , water was a long way below the ice . So the old guys decided not to go .

#1younggun
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah wouldnt be pretty braking through then.
I have heard the vary same story from Gramps & his buddy , they were going to try it a few years ago but had run across a couple of fellows that had the same experience , water was a long way below the ice . So the old guys decided not to go .

blackburbot
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I drove by on December 16th. Wind was howling and 3-4foot white caps were everywhere. Bring the boat instead.

jaystev
12-25-2012, 10:30 AM
ive fished this lake a few times it is very sketchy ice if theres ice at all. theres been years where the lake dosent freeze over. the valley creates some killer winds most of the time. fishing is really touch and go most of the lake is devoid of fish. there is good fishing if you can find the old river channel but its also the most dangerous ice out there. fishing near one of the bigger inlets would be my suggestion but i wouldnt ever fish there in winter again it really is that bad. last time i was there the ice was only eight inches and the water would flood out of the hole and then suck down randomly throughout the day. lost my bag of bait the first time. lakers caught on blue silver chubb darter.

Gumbi
12-25-2012, 10:53 AM
i fish it in the spring, heres spots on the lake that are protected from the wind, have done pretty good in a little 12 footer a couple times..

Jbone
12-25-2012, 10:59 AM
The place sounds like a death trap

jaystev
12-25-2012, 11:09 AM
ive fished this lake a few times it is very sketchy ice if theres ice at all. theres been years where the lake dosent freeze over. the valley creates some killer winds most of the time. fishing is really touch and go most of the lake is devoid of fish. there is good fishing if you can find the old river channel but its also the most dangerous ice out there. fishing near one of the bigger inlets would be my suggestion but i wouldnt ever fish there in winter again it really is that bad. last time i was there the ice was only eight inches and the water would flood out of the hole and then suck down randomly throughout the day. lost my bag of bait the first time. lakers caught on blue silver chubb darter.
before anyone gets mad or upset the bait was not for this lake as i said i caught them with chubb darters. the bait was for allstones lake which is the hardest work out for a fish in winter ever by the way.