PDA

View Full Version : Argo

diamond k
12-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I am looking at purchasing an argo and wanted guys experience. What are the pros and cons of a 6x6 vrs 8x8

dale7637
12-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Go 8x8.
The 8x8 can pack a pile more gear.
The 6x6 is a little more nimble, but the 8x8 makes up for it with cargo space.

Boxercross
12-24-2012, 08:59 PM
8x8 for sure. no need for a tub trailer hunting with an argo

Donny Bear
12-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Ah 6000 reasons but they are all loonies

KN12313
12-25-2012, 05:12 AM
I hope you are a good bush mechanic. Carry a spare tire or two, a couple of cans of flat repair, wheel bearings (lots),spare chain links etc. etc. And buy a electric impact wrench and generator, you going to need them. Yes they will carry a lot of gear. I have carried 5 moose quarters, two men and gear. IMHO, unless you need the floatation, buy a quad and tube trailer. I would not have an Argo again, even if it was give to me!!!!!

Send me a PM with your name and number, I am going to talk you out of buying an Argo.

altahunter
12-25-2012, 07:18 AM
The new argos are built WAY better than the older ones. I was looking at them 2 weeks ago. It's just the price tag that is hard for me to digest. If you want all the info you need, talk to Rockdoctor. He knows these machines well. For me it's a little hard to take the younger kids hunting on a quad unless you take 1 at a time which is pointless when you have a larger family.

At Argyll, they said they only recommend taking a spare throttle cable (and one other small item but can't recall it atm) with you on the new machines. Nothing more as it isn't required like the older units.

HELL
12-25-2012, 08:28 AM
I've had a couple Argos few minor problems if you look after it it'll look after you never left me in the bush

Sheepcrazyguy
12-25-2012, 08:54 AM
I've had a couple Argos few minor problems if you look after it it'll look after you never left me in the bush

X2

I have a 1981 6 wheel. It has never let me down. With proper maintenance you should never have any problems. Most problems stem from neglect or lack of maintenance. They will go places and do things a quad never will. Sometimes I'd rather have an 8 wheel but my 6 works well enough that I'll keep it. I can haul it in my pickup and have packed out and drug out moose and elk. I'm not sure what the newer 6's have for HP mine was changed over to a 18 HP Kolher before I got it.

Mr Hawken
12-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I hope you are a good bush mechanic. Carry a spare tire or two, a couple of cans of flat repair, wheel bearings (lots),spare chain links etc. etc. And buy a electric impact wrench and generator, you going to need them. Yes they will carry a lot of gear. I have carried 5 moose quarters, two men and gear. IMHO, unless you need the floatation, buy a quad and tube trailer. I would not have an Argo again, even if it was give to me!!!!!

Send me a PM with your name and number, I am going to talk you out of buying an Argo.

x2 i had a older 6wheel argo and spent more time fixing then riding.when i was guiding black bear in fort mac yrs ago the outfitter had quads and argo's.the argo's were always breaking down and we used the quads.one thing to think about is yes they have more traction but not much clearence.when they are stuck in muskeg they are stuck.if you can try renting one first and try it.the ones we used were also very loud and like i said more trouble then what there worth.

KN12313
12-25-2012, 09:15 AM
The basic design is still the same. Pull all of the wheels off to grease the bearings every 7 days of use, pull all of the grass that is wrapped around the shaft that will tear the bearings out, then the next mud hole you have water and mud in the drive chain. the drive system still rolls tires off the rim when you turn if there is logs or hard lumps of dried mud. the new tires don't punture as easy as the old ones, but the sidewalls are still soft. I spent more time doing reg. maint. on my Argos that I had for 3 years than all of the trikes and quads put together over 20years.

209x50
12-25-2012, 09:26 AM
The basic design is still the same. Pull all of the wheels off to grease the bearings every 7 days of use, pull all of the grass that is wrapped around the shaft that will tear the bearings out, then the next mud hole you have water and mud in the drive chain. the drive system still rolls tires off the rim when you turn if there is logs or hard lumps of dried mud. the new tires don't punture as easy as the old ones, but the sidewalls are still soft. I spent more time doing reg. maint. on my Argos that I had for 3 years than all of the trikes and quads put together over 20years.
Nope you really need to actually look at a new one before trying to claim to be an expert. They haven't even used bearing seals in years nor have you needed to remove a tire to grease the bearings.
A spare throttle cable is all I carry. On Sunday we threw my son's cow elk into the HDi and romped out the through butt deep snow like nothing.

brazeau
12-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I've owned several 6x6's over the years. The early ones (1980's) were high maintenance and I experienced a couple of breakdowns in the bush before I figured out that the machine had to be serviced before each trip. It got so that I could field strip and rebuild one from the frame up on a cutline and I always carried enough tools and spare parts to accomplish it. With that said though, when it was running there was no machine that was its equal for moose hunting in the muskeg. During the 90's, I took a break and switched to quads. Then in 2005 enough time had passed, my memories had faded and I caved and bought a new Conquest liquid-cooled 6x6. World of difference from what I had before. Owned it for 5 years and never even came close to having an issue with it. The t-bar steering, totally reengineered drive train and all the other improvements in design made this a totally different and much better machine. However, I currently run a SxS for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the Argo. If your serious about owning an Argo, I say go for it and I wouldn't put too much stock into any comments from anyone who hasn't owned and operated a recently built machine.

skidderman
12-25-2012, 02:26 PM
A buddy of mine has had an 8X8 Conquest for several years. Every 150 hours he has a pro go through it front to back. Usually costs him about a grand. He has had very few problems & has never been stranded. The new HDI has a new admiral transmission that is suposed to be a good improvement as well as a better drive system. I just don't have 30 grand to put into an HDI and even a used one if you can find it is still 20 to 25 g's. The one problem they all have is climbing hills in deep snow. They spin out. I

ARGO GUY
12-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Never gets old listening to people yap about stuff they have no idea on. The avengerrs are great the new Titan is amazing. the old one are good just need to be maintained. most guys who hate them beat the crap out of them with no maintenance and cheap out on evrey lubricant they can. OP find a dealer near you and they will be happy to show you the differances on the new ones and old ones.

greywolf
12-25-2012, 10:02 PM

Now thats funny....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

dale7637
12-26-2012, 12:14 AM

Go read the 5 page thread about argos vs sxs. There is a ton of good info in there.

Or better yet, the rest of the world can go without argos. It will make it that much more silent where we hunt if we are the only ones there.