PDA

View Full Version : STIHL Ice Auger

Fish2XS
12-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I am thinking of buying a STIHL BT 121 10" ice auger and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular model. I have been doing some research and they seem like a very dependable and rugged machine that can also be used as an earth auger if needed. I do have some concerns regarding how the start and run in extremely cold temperatures. I was also wondering how well the STIHL cutting bits perform? I have read in other forums that they constantly plug with ice and are difficult to drill with:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=227822.0

It may be slightly bulkier and slower then other models but I’m a strong believer in “you get what you pay for” and would be willing to drop the extra cash on a reliable auger that will last decades and can be used for other applications all year round. I would greatly appreciate any information or insights before I go ahead and spend the money on this unit.

valley13
12-24-2012, 09:23 PM
i have a feeling that the stihl and the honda strikemaster will be the king of thing that you pass on to your kids:sHa_shakeshout:

super mario
12-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I am thinking of buying a STIHL BT 121 10" ice auger and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular model. I have been doing some research and they seem like a very dependable and rugged machine that can also be used as an earth auger if needed. I do have some concerns regarding how the start and run in extremely cold temperatures. I was also wondering how well the STIHL cutting bits perform? I have read in other forums that they constantly plug with ice and are difficult to drill with:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=227822.0

It may be slightly bulkier and slower then other models but I’m a strong believer in “you get what you pay for” and would be willing to drop the extra cash on a reliable auger that will last decades and can be used for other applications all year round. I would greatly appreciate any information or insights before I go ahead and spend the money on this unit.

ihave one works good for me i using 10 inch for whites and lakers olso ihave honda strike mast 8inch also works great

pencapchew
12-24-2012, 09:38 PM
My friend bought one in the spring for digging fence post holes and bought the auger extension a few weeks ago, we tried it for the first time last week it definitely isn't going to win a race but has a lot of power, started easily but wasn't crazy cold out but seems like it was bogging if we didnt let it warm up for a few secs.

The only issue I had with it was it seemed like it was unable to break through the last bit of ice and would spin out in your hands tripping the safety arm...if you managed to hold on it would spin you around the hole...we are suppose to be heading out again on Wednesday i will take a video if we end up going. I'm bringing the jiffy too just in case it doesn't like the cold!

super mario
12-24-2012, 09:50 PM
My friend bought one in the spring for digging fence post holes and bought the auger extension a few weeks ago, we tried it for the first time last week it definitely isn't going to win a race but has a lot of power, started easily but wasn't crazy cold out but seems like it was bogging if we didnt let it warm up for a few secs.

The only issue I had with it was it seemed like it was unable to break through the last bit of ice and would spin out in your hands tripping the safety arm...if you managed to hold on it would spin you around the hole...we are suppose to be heading out again on Wednesday i will take a video if we end up going. I'm bringing the jiffy too just in case it doesn't like the cold!

YOU haveto used fresh gas and ad some gas line antifreeze

fish gunner
12-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Find an old proven steel jiffy model 30 3hp. All day every day hands down. Look after it ,it will look after you. 5 yrs not one issue and it was purchased second hand 200$. Same plug same blade same reliable operation. If and that's a small if I ever need an other auger it will be the same mod 30 3hp . My5€

klow
12-24-2012, 10:31 PM
I have owned a model 30 for 17yrs. It has been looked after very well and not let me down. I drain the gass after every trip and have changed the plug twice. The only other maintenance is keeping it clean. This auger has started with no problem in -30C and covered in frost. It does have it's drawbacks though, it's heavy and a beast lol. If we are walking a lot, we take my friends lighter auger.

Fish2XS
12-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks! It would be great if you could take a vid, would be very helpful if I could see it in action. Seems like there might be some slight issues, in my opinion a $1000 ice auger should run flawlessly.

dekker59
12-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I have owned a model 30 for 17yrs. It has been looked after very well and not let me down. I drain the gass after every trip and have changed the plug twice. The only other maintenance is keeping it clean. This auger has started with no problem in -30C and covered in frost. It does have it's drawbacks though, it's heavy and a beast lol. If we are walking a lot, we take my friends lighter auger.

Same here, got mine handed down from my grandpa. Not 100% sure on the age but its at least 18years old (at least as long as I've been able to make use of it). Always starts and runs all day.

thorne
12-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Same here, got mine handed down from my grandpa. Not 100% sure on the age but its at least 18years old (at least as long as I've been able to make use of it). Always starts and runs all day.

Nothing wrong with sthil for sure. Was going to get one myself, but I came across an old Jiffy 3.0, and for less then 300, couldn't pass it up. Used it several time so far and it works great. Love then built like a tank design. But you will never go wrong with Stihl!

skidderman
12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
For that kind of money I would go with a husky. A lot lighter but no good for drilling in dirt. I had a husky & sold it. My mistake.

fish gunner
12-25-2012, 02:46 PM
One question, how much plastic does a sthil contain for near a g note .cause my jiffy got one piece, the fuel tank . If I removed my spark plug and gas tank I cold use my jiffy as a maul and smash that sthil to small pieces then put in my spark plug reattach my fuel tank and go back to punching holes in -30 . Plastic auger parts are a problem waiting to happen here in the near north. I love sthil saws have owned 3 over the year's , when it comes to punching ice "jiffy or bust"

thorne
12-25-2012, 03:32 PM
One question, how much plastic does a sthil contain for near a g note .cause my jiffy got one piece, the fuel tank . If I removed my spark plug and gas tank I cold use my jiffy as a maul and smash that sthil to small pieces then put in my spark plug reattach my fuel tank and go back to punching holes in -30 . Plastic auger parts are a problem waiting to happen here in the near north. I love sthil saws have owned 3 over the year's , when it comes to punching ice "jiffy or bust"
The old techumpsy motors with the adjustable carbs in the 3.0 were awsome, and yes they are easy to work on a daily adjust for any condition. How ever if money was not an option Ild take the Stihl, just saving Grand is hard to pass up...I wish the newer jiffys had the same robust, construction as the older ones, but the old guys do weigh a ton..that's. The trade off I guess. As for plastic a different metal the Sthil has a good combination, and I doubt the cold has any issue as they use them to test drill the ice roads in the north all winter long with them bouncing around in the truck beds.

AppleJax
12-25-2012, 04:15 PM

My Husky has plastic covers and they don't break in the cold that's ridiculous. It cuts down on wieght and there isn't any paint to chip and scratch off. If you need a hammer just go buy one don't use your auger!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

fish gunner
12-25-2012, 04:28 PM
My Husky has plastic covers and they don't break in the cold that's ridiculous. It cuts down on wieght and there isn't any paint to chip and scratch off. If you need a hammer just go buy one don't use your auger!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lol I would never use an incorrect tool incorrectly. Plastic gets brittle in the cold that's not an opinion . Throttle trigger is plastic if memory serves. 1000$ paper weight with one touch of my mate Murphy. Jiffy is mostly Murphy proof. Imo .

AppleJax
12-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Lol I would never use an incorrect tool incorrectly. Plastic gets brittle in the cold that's not an opinion . Throttle trigger is plastic if memory serves. 1000$ paper weight with one touch of my mate Murphy. Jiffy is mostly Murphy proof. Imo .

I had mine out the other day it was -30 and didnt break anything. Its made of the same plastic as chainsaws, been running them for years in the winter and never broke anything. I dont throw my auger around either. I just dont see what your point is about the metal how it makes it any better.

fish gunner
12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Accidents happen, I fix mine with tools , no tool fixes broken plastic. Run saws in bush an never had a problem my self . Buddy had his sthil saw fall off the tailgate of truck . No saw for him that day . Just saying .

AppleJax
12-25-2012, 04:48 PM
The plastic is just covers, the auger will run wihout it. Pretty sure the motor is aluminum lol. Nothing wrong with Jiffys, but you get what you pay for.

archercurt
12-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Accidents happen, I fix mine with tools , no tool fixes broken plastic. Run saws in bush an never had a problem my self . Buddy had his sthil saw fall off the tailgate of truck . No saw for him that day . Just saying .

Main components are all metal.... Plastic plays no role in the quality really. My Eskimo has plastic all over it and rolls around in my truck 7 days a week, haven't had a problem yet. The only major things that are plastic is the tank and throttle. And if you have any kind of problem it would be breaking the throttle off. A pair if vice grips could get you by in a pinch..Gas tank, not likely...Just my .02

FishHunterPro
12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
That stihl should be a well made auger, have they been around for awhile ? I picked up the strikemaster lazer pro last year and its been a solid tool, never had a problem yet and hundreds of holes with it so far. Great performance too. I have a vid I will post of me drilling the last day of the 2011 season through 3'+ ice. Great tool worth mentioning

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj500/motohead686/D31A2F23-4C94-477A-904B-F5F1F807A246-476-000000D4608373C5.mp4

Penner
12-26-2012, 07:46 AM

I have a husky as well and have had it for several years. The plastic is extremely tough no matter the temperature. I don’t know much about them but I would suspect the Sthil wouldn’t be too much different. I understand the Sthil is more of a heavier duty auger built primarily as a post hole auger. Should be a cake walk auguring through ice.

I personally don’t buy an auger because it would perform as a good sludge hammer. It’s like saying a car from the 1970's would completely destroy a current model in a car accident because they “don’t build them like the use to”. An oblivious aurgument.

My first auger I had was a jiffy and it was a heavy poor preforming piece of junk. I replaced it with the Husky and have never looked back. the Husky is far superior in every way. I suspect the Sthil would be equal at the very least.

fish gunner
12-26-2012, 08:03 AM
I have a husky as well and have had it for several years. The plastic is extremely tough no matter the temperature. I don’t know much about them but I would suspect the Sthil wouldn’t be too much different. I understand the Sthil is more of a heavier duty auger built primarily as a post hole auger. Should be a cake walk auguring through ice.

I personally don’t buy an auger because it would perform as a good sludge hammer. It’s like saying a car from the 1970's would completely destroy a current model in a car accident because they “don’t build them like the use to”. An oblivious aurgument.

My first auger I had was a jiffy and it was a heavy poor preforming piece of junk. I replaced it with the Husky and have never looked back. the Husky is far superior in every way. I suspect the Sthil would be equal at the very least.
I totally agree the jiffy is quite heavy , performance wise from a quick Look at the thread I make 60 plus years of reliable jiffy operation from 4 posters. My point is simply for the 1000 $ a single sthil needs 60yrs of trouble free operation to be in the same class as a jiffy model 30.

AppleJax
12-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Fish Gunner, once again I really dont understand where your coming from. I would really like to see this 60 year old Jiffy that still runs. I dont think Husky or Stihl need to argue about the reliability and performance of there motors. Anyone who has used a Jiffy and tries the Husky will appreciate their lightweight and ease of use. There really is no comparison. They are worth every dollar spent (750 to be exact) and I will have years of reliable use.

thorne
12-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Yep have to agree that some of the older jiffys are pretty reliable and tuff, like mine....but sthil is a whole other class. My jiffy is 5 years old and works great, but weighs a ton and like to warm up first. I trust it and can disassembled and reassemble in no time....but having a new sthil in my hands....man I was Very tempted. Kinda like having a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 20hp motor and ya its great and all but it's no 18' duel console 115 Evinrude-tec with all the Riggins!

AppleJax
12-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep have to agree that some of the older jiffys are pretty reliable and tuff, like mine....but sthil is a whole other class. My jiffy is 5 years old and works great, but weighs a ton and like to warm up first. I trust it and can disassembled and reassemble in no time....but having a new sthil in my hands....man I was Very tempted. Kinda like having a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 20hp motor and ya its great and all but it's no 18' duel console 115 Evinrude-tec with all the Riggins!

Well said. That being said just because you have a nice boat or a wicked auger, doesnt mean it will catch you more fish! For me I just really like to have good equipment.

thorne
12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Well said. That being said just because you have a nice boat or a wicked auger, doesnt mean it will catch you more fish! For me I just really like to have good equipment.

SOOOOOOOO very true!

TylerThomson
12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
I'd put my Eskimo 10" with the larger Viper engine up against an older jiffy any day. Never had a problem with it, I don't ever worry about draining gas or any of that nonsense. Anyone who wants to race let me know :D We will drill five holes starting with a cold machine. LMAO I'll be done before you've let that jiffy warm up.

AppleJax
12-26-2012, 09:17 AM
What I woud like to do is organize some sort of an auger competition this winter when the ice reaches 3 feet. Do it on some sort of a point system. Have all things considered, ease of use, reliability, cold start up, drill speed, etc. :test:

thorne
12-26-2012, 09:23 AM
What I woud like to do is organize some sort of an auger competition this winter when the ice reaches 3 feet. Do it on some sort of a point system. Have all things considered, ease of use, reliability, cold start up, drill speed, etc. :test:

Don't forget a maintenence/breakdown event! How accessible is the plug, carb, pullcord, and throttle linkage. All the usual suspects which may not want to play on any machine

AppleJax
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Don't forget a maintenence/breakdown event! How accessible is the plug, carb, pullcord, and throttle linkage. All the usual suspects which may not want to play on any machine

Good point, keep em coming! I think to be fair we would have to take all sorts of things into consideration. Not just who punches the hole quickest, allthough punching through 3 feet of ice in 10 seconds is pretty cool!

thorne
12-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Good point, keep em coming! I think to be fair we would have to take all sorts of things into consideration. Not just who punches the hole quickest, allthough punching through 3 feet of ice in 10 seconds is pretty cool!

Yes....and no..I had a 2hp jiffy which blew up last year, but when it was running, it was fast...very fast...tofast. I hated the way it threw ice everywhere and just dropped through the bottom of the ice. Geezle's old Eskimo drilled at a nice slower and even speed, and kept all the ice shards in one place. Very desirable when drilling in agent or not wanting to fill your boots!

kenh
12-26-2012, 03:30 PM

Not the new ones!!!!!!!!

Fish2XS
12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
ihave one works good for me i using 10 inch for whites and lakers olso ihave honda strike mast 8inch also works great

Nice! Thanks for your helpful response, are you using the STIHL auger attachment and cutting blades without any issues? It starts and runs well in all temps and conditions?

Fish2XS
12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Nothing wrong with sthil for sure. Was going to get one myself, but I came across an old Jiffy 3.0, and for less then 300, couldn't pass it up. Used it several time so far and it works great. Love then built like a tank design. But you will never go wrong with Stihl!

Thanks! I read on a previous thread that you were planning on picking one up, and was hoping you had so I could quiz you about it. Hard to pass up a good deal on an old tried and tested jiffy tho. It is definitely a lot of money save up which is why I am trying to do as much research as possible before making a purchase.

Fish2XS
12-26-2012, 08:51 PM
The STIHL BT 121 auger is a high quality tool often used for demanding commercial applications. They are of rugged, durable construction and are designed to operate without fail under challenging conditions.

www.stihlusa.com/products/augers-and-drills/earth-auger/bt121/

Because it was designed with its primary purpose as an earth auger I would like to learn more about how they function on the ice before I make a purchase. I don’t disagree that the old jiffys are tough proven machines; I have run many of them over the years so I know a great deal about their strengths and weaknesses. I started this thread to learn more about the STIHL BT 121. I realize they are uncommon but I’m looking for accounts from individuals who have first hand experience operating or observing these machines at work. Not speculations about how they may perform; and what’s with the “my auger could beat up your auger” nonsense? I have heard very mixed reviews (mostly bad) about many of the new models on the market. It seems its buyer beware when it comes to purchasing a new ice auger, which is why I’m willing to spend the additional money on a quality product and a highly trusted brand. In my opinion there is also much to be said about a tool that serves multiple purposes and can be used 12 months out of the year.

AppleJax
12-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Are you wanting the Stihl as ice auger only, or planning on using it for post holes as well? Also, got a chuckle out of the my auger can beat up your auger tidbit!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Fish2XS
12-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Primarily for ice fishing but would use it as a post hole auger as well, just be a matter of purchasing the earth auger attachment.

Penner
12-27-2012, 06:44 AM
For the most part these days you get what you pay for. I think one would be pleased with a Stihl.

Anyone curious in checking out the Husqvarna auger, the link is as follows. If i recall corectly I paid $700 for mine in a 10" about 5 years back. http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/products/ice-augers/326ai25/#specifications

dodgeboy1979
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
i used the stihl ice auger for work for years drilling through frozen drilling mud sumps to get samples, never had a problem starting it, and it was really quiet when compared to Jiffy, strikemaster etc..... If i had the cash to spend on an ice auger like that i wouldn't hesitate.

Jamie Black R/T
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Find an old proven steel jiffy model 30 3hp. All day every day hands down. Look after it ,it will look after you. 5 yrs not one issue and it was purchased second hand 200$. Same plug same blade same reliable operation. If and that's a small if I ever need an other auger it will be the same mod 30 3hp . My5€

i have this same problem....15 year old 2hp jiffy just wont die! starts in any conditions and busts holes RFN.

so many nice new 10" augers on the market and every year i say: "this will be the year my jiffy dies and ill get to buy a new one"

heres hoping for next year....:mad0030:

Hunter Trav
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
That Stihl auger is kinda goofy looking. Who want to drill a hole with an ugly auger...lol

thorne
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
When I was reasearching Sthil last year one of the small engine repair shops had a great point, Sthil makes Sthil engines, and they are are used world wide, meaning parts and finding someone to fix if if something goes wrong is easy. The everyday auger companies use other peoples engines and parts and as such, change them up, or have obscure parts which may not be a readily available.

Hunter Trav
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
When I was reasearching Sthil last year one of the small engine repair shops had a great point, Sthil makes Sthil engines, and they are are used world wide, meaning parts and finding someone to fix if if something goes wrong is easy. The everyday auger companies use other peoples engines and parts and as such, change them up, or have obscure parts which may not be a readily available.

Yeah but it's STIHL goofy looking...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Fish2XS
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Good point thorne, thanks for the HELPFULL comments... with a few parts and a little maintenance a STHIL would likely last a lifetime of heavy use unlike most augers on the market today.

thorne
01-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Damn you fishing2xs......now I want a sthil again.....anyone want a good deal on an 8 year old Jiffy 30 which rocks!....anyone?!?:sign0176:

Hunter Trav
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
If its a 10", PM me with a price...:)

bucknaked333
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I have one for ten or so years now and have used it for ice and post holes. It is rugged and dependable. There is a rental place in town that rents them out and say they are tough tough. For ice they are slower than some but make up for it in power. I think it probably will be my last ice auger.

Fish2XS
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Damn you fishing2xs......now I want a sthil again.....anyone want a good deal on an 8 year old Jiffy 30 which rocks!....anyone?!?:sign0176:

Haha, sorry to stir up old feelings thorne!

Fish2XS
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I have one for ten or so years now and have used it for ice and post holes. It is rugged and dependable. There is a rental place in town that rents them out and say they are tough tough. For ice they are slower than some but make up for it in power. I think it probably will be my last ice auger.

Thanks! That’s great testimony. Have you had any trouble with the bit getting caught up and trying to rip your shoulders out when you get down to the last inch of ice? At least 4 different individuals have made this complaint. Most augers I have used seem to grab a bit when you break through the ice at the bottom of the hole, but it seems to be a bit bigger issue with the STIHLs. Some have gotten around this by building an adapter to accept other manufacturer’s ice bits. Some say they just lift slightly on the machine when it is about to punch through the ice. Any experience with this issue?

dragon
01-09-2013, 11:05 AM

The issue at hand is long term reliability. Who cares if its 10 seconds or 20 seconds to drill a hole. Or if it takes 30 seconds to warm up...

if my auger was the slowest and took the longest to warm up but never had to fix it ever I would be happy

thorne
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Haha, sorry to stir up old feelings thorne!

It was to much.....I got a Sthil...Just picked it up.....HUBBA HUBBA!!! Just playing with it and its very obvious why Sthil has the reputation it does! All I can say is ask no more, if its in your price range...GET IT!!!

BTW MY old gal is up for sale, 2007 Jiffy 3.0 with 8" rippers up for sale, see add in fishing items for sale.

Fish2XS
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Haha, finally pulled the trigger! Glad you like it, I'm very close to buying one myself. Have you punched any holes with it yet? Let me know how it performs on you next trip.

AppleJax
01-11-2013, 03:53 PM
The issue at hand is long term reliability. Who cares if its 10 seconds or 20 seconds to drill a hole. Or if it takes 30 seconds to warm up...

if my auger was the slowest and took the longest to warm up but never had to fix it ever I would be happy

Did you even read what I wrote? And if long term reliability is the decision maker, stihl and Husqvarna would be the top contenders. Thorne, nice to hear you bought the Stihl! I'd like to see that thing in action sometime.

huntin'fool
01-11-2013, 07:00 PM
It was to much.....I got a Sthil...Just picked it up.....HUBBA HUBBA!!! Just playing with it and its very obvious why Sthil has the reputation it does! All I can say is ask no more, if its in your price range...GET IT!!!

BTW MY old gal is up for sale, 2007 Jiffy 3.0 with 8" rippers up for sale, see add in fishing items for sale.

:sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

thorne
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
:sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

Ya your more then partly to blame for this....oh ya, if any one is planning on going to hermitage, ignore the hundreds of holes I just punched in there for fun....Anand yes it was!:sHa_shakeshout:

Love hearing the engine purrrrr at 12000ish rpms, a very solid and constant turn of the auger. It's definately a slower turning screw but it doesn't throw crap everywhere and just sinks through the ice....very cool, and soooo easy easy starting. My 30 jiffy wasn't bad, but this is just stupid easy. I also love that it has a padded steel wrap around roll cage.....yep what's not to love. Kinda like going from a good old 67 Chevy big block, to a modern high end German preformed. Also love the easy to get at carb adjustments and maintenence items. It was designed to be used and maintained by the owner....anyway its cool. Gonna go drill a few more holes......

Hunter Trav
01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
So where's they pictures???:D

Outdoorsmen for life
02-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Hey my fellow outdoorsmen friend, recently just bought a stihl BT-130 auger and put a 10 inch ice bit on it. Seems to work great but there is one major flaw in this machine. While drilling into 15-24 inches of ice it will not drill the last 2 inches without ripping your arms off a throwing on the brake and i have tried every drilling technique. Just wondering if you have heard this or went through this with your auger

Cheers

German
02-14-2016, 08:51 AM
From what I've been reading, I better upgrade my 20 year old jiffy because it's too heavy & takes 20 seconds longer to drill a hole. There's $750. Then there's my 14' aluminum boat with a 10 HP evinrude. Boat's too small & so is the motor. Dang! It's expensive to keep up with the Jone's & become a chest pounder. Everyone always needs the newer, lighter, faster toy.

'Merica! errr I mean 'Berta

EZM
02-14-2016, 09:54 AM
It sounds like that is not uncommon for Stihl augers. I don't know why but I've recently fished beside a group that had one and it did the exact same thing - just seemed to bind up at the bottom of the hole right before breaking through. Chatted a little with the guy and he says it's been like that since day one. He seemed to be lifting up a little when she started to bind at the bottom but it definitely seemed like a pain in the butt to me.

These augers seem to cut slow and steady (similar to a Husky). Both these are high torque but the Husky flight looks a little different. I watched AJ's auger in action - light, reasonably fast and smooth all the way through.

My guess is ..... it is what it is ........ maybe try calling customer service - maybe they have a fix or solution. I'd try turning up the speed if possible.

Dean2
02-14-2016, 11:11 AM
For most guys, I strongly suggest you rent one before you shell out the money to buy one. I used a rental when I was in northern BC. I would not trade my 40 year old Jiffy 30 straight across for the Stihl for drilling holes in ice. The Stihl is bulkier, heavier and didn't cut any better. It would also be a lot harder to work on. As a dirt auger, the Stihl would be my choice because of the lower gearing and higher torque output, which is overkill for drilling holes in ice. (I have never had to do anything but replace plugs, a blade and a gas line/primer on the Jiffy.)

Easiest fix I found for the binding in the last bit is to lift up on the auger and take some of the weight off the flight. It reduces binding. A chipper blade would also help but I have never seen one for the Stihl.

To each his own but more expensive doesn't always produce a better result and I can't see the Stihl lasting three times as long with the same amount of use as my Jiffy..

Outdoorsmen for life
02-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Doesn't seem like there is much a person can do to fix this flaw i will be phoning customer service in the states tomorrow morning

Birchcraft
02-14-2016, 09:38 PM
I've never had a chance to run a Stihl auger but I have handled my buddies new BT130 in the garage and oh boy is it heavy, so very heavy. Combined with the slow gear ratio thats a lot of weight and torque to fight against through the course of drilling a hole. Definitely wont punch nearly as many holes in a day or in its lifetime as a proper ice auger that has half the weight to pack around, I guess thats fine if you're not planning to move around much. He had the same justification for spending twice as much money on the Stihl as opposed to a Jiffy/Eskimo/Strikemaster/etc., "might as well spend more and get something that'll last". Funny thing is I know quite a few guys that run around all winter with 30+ year old Jiffys that won't quit.