PDA

View Full Version : seniors fishing license

yardape
12-24-2012, 08:59 PM
just read in the outdoor edge on page 35 govt wants to charge all seniors $15.00 for fishing license in 2013

tallieho
12-25-2012, 08:12 AM
long over due in my opinion..use the resource you pay,for everything else..this coming from someone that will be 65 in 2 days..maybe the extra money will be used for better ,enforcement...

-JR-
12-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Thats not right at all.

huntsfurfish
12-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Yahoo, bout time.:)

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 09:00 AM
I think its BS

vcmm
12-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Government is like gang bangers. They go after the weak.

Perchfisher
12-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Just think it gives them less of taxpayers money to throw to the wind. That in itself is a step in the right direction.

wetchimo
12-25-2012, 09:19 AM
I think its BS

If your still fishing at 65 you have earned the right to fish for free. You should still have to get special tags for certain species, but that's about it.

Redfrog
12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Any way to make up for the poor management and cash shortfall.:angry3:

Why not put an ugly tax on the twisted sisters. The queen and her sister could cover the over runs.

Winch101
12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Why those no good#%+}~\ rotten4;&@)(- consarn
Dirty 2-timin$9&@,;: fore flushing Torie sob,s.

Oh we'll merry Xmas

Don Andersen
12-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Does the $15 include a Win card?
Oh well, I lived tax free for all of two years. Forced to buy a new Win card that I still have. Expires in Mar/13.
Just paid $ 17.00 for breakfast.
Gotta keep things in perspective!

Don

YeeHaw
12-25-2012, 10:16 AM
That should cover an extra golf trip for our government officals.:sign0176:

Lornce
12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
So they are changing it just when I only have a couple of years to go. :) Bought a license for 45 years, wonder how much it comes to date, not complaining $15 is still cheap for a sport I love.

ice
12-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't agree with this at all

Lornce
12-25-2012, 01:09 PM
It actually is a shame, I do know a couple of seniors that are on a very limited income. The benefit to them was a great source of entertainment and fair for the table. It was a great provision for low income in their senior years.

Perchfisher
12-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Don't agree with this at all

You may when you grow up.

icefever
12-25-2012, 02:48 PM
If it went straight to more F&W officers no problem, some how don't think it will

Bigdad013
12-25-2012, 03:27 PM
From the op's statement, the gov is thinking about it....I hope it doesn't go through, it will make no difference to any more enforcement or anything beneficial to us as fisherman. Plus when did so many people have a problem with people getting free stuff from the government? If there is a way to keep our money out of there pockets the better. Ever stretch the truth on your taxes?

ice
12-25-2012, 05:40 PM
You may when you grow up.

Wait. What?
I figure the closer I get to retirement, the more I'm going to oppose this...
Lol :)

lippy
12-25-2012, 07:04 PM
I will go for paying for the fishing licence if they return the free camping for seniors in our Provincial Parks! :bad_boys_20:

slimjim
12-25-2012, 07:12 PM
This is a liberal government, not conservative, tax and spend, run a deficit.

Perchfisher
12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Wait. What?
I figure the closer I get to retirement, the more I'm going to oppose this...
Lol :)

My glasses need to be replaced or I read this while sleeping. Of course seniors should not be charged to fish.

topgun
12-25-2012, 08:00 PM
I agree it's a crock! Our seniors made this province what is today!! To charge them after all they've done to enjoy what they helped support for so long is wrong. In case anybody is wondering I won't qualify for another 30 yrs!!! Lol

338Bluff
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I fish with a lot of gentleman over 65. All of them are hard core anglers...Every single one of them think this is a good idea.

$15???? That is going to break no one. You can't even drive to most lakes for that amount.

lake side
12-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm not a fan at all, I call BS on the whole idea.

LS

Pincherguy
12-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Yahoo, bout time.:)

:sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161:
If that old saying a fool and his money are soon parted is true, I'm guessing you are flat broke of soon will be.
:sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161: :sign0161:

Kevwood
12-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Talked to a couple of friends approaching the age today...both would have no problem paying it...would be great if it went to more F&W out there, baby boomers are coming of "free fishing age" just a way for gov't to grab some extra $$$...don't think $15 is gonna break too many...most guys spend more than that on maggots each year...not really the point though...

all canadian
12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm sure good old guys won't mind paying if it went to fishing programs. It will just end in general revenue and be wasted.

huntsfurfish
12-25-2012, 10:16 PM
:sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161:
If that old saying a fool and his money are soon parted is true, I'm guessing you are flat broke of soon will be.
:sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161: :sign0161:

Nice, merry christmas to you.

Not about the money. Its about the licence. Allows govt. to account for the number of users. Guess people cant aford .04 cents a day for something they use.

Many people on here complain about the regs/management. Well this will help track the users.

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm sure good old guys won't mind paying if it went to fishing programs. It will just end in general revenue and be wasted.

exactly

Jimboy
12-26-2012, 02:16 AM
long over due in my opinion..use the resource you pay,for everything else..this coming from someone that will be 65 in 2 days..maybe the extra money will be used for better ,enforcement...

ok ,make kids have license also

huntsfurfish
12-26-2012, 09:22 AM
ok ,make kids have license also

Actually a good idea. I believe they should also have a licence.:) Have also mentioned that in another thread.

Parents could have the option of a getting a full licence for their kids under which they would have a separate limit or a licence under a parent which would only have the one limit.
Many times I have seen abuse of the parent with "5 kids" keeping large amounts of fish. And it would allow better counts of users.
It to all the cryers out here:) it wouldnt have to be high fees either.:sHa_shakeshout:

Pikebreath
12-26-2012, 10:26 AM
A $15 senior license is "not about the money". The additional revenues are a drop in the bucket for a government. But it does allow a better accounting of angler numbers which ultimately helps in fisheries management.

This should make seniors more accountable too. This is not saying that all seniors are poachers by any means,,,, but by having to buy a license annually, hopefully regulation awareness and compliance will be better as well. And there is now the threat of loss of license for angling infractions.

Put into another perspective, seniors are not given any breaks for hunting licenses,,,, and I do not know of any golf courses that let seniors golf for free.

And for the record, I am only a handful of years away from 65 so a senior’s license would affect me personally a lot sooner than most of this board.

Regarding kids angling, so what's wrong with the idea that if kids want to fish free, any fish they keep would have to count against the license of the adult they are fishing with? And if they want to keep their own fish, why not a youth fishing license similar to the youth hunting licenses for that purpose?

Again, getting a better handle of actual angler numbers and effort will certainly assist in better fisheries management.

Redfrog
12-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Why not add $15 to everyone's license and leave the kids and seniors alone. The gov't is just gonna waste the money anyway. I can guarantee it won't go to F?W as an extra.

Maybe those few bux make a difference to a old guy who wants to take his grandkids fishing. Let's charge them all and then with the high fuel costs etc, they can all stay home on the couch. The old guy could sleep and the kids could play videos. :thinking-006:

sourdough doug
12-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Just smell the coffee, guys and girls.. How far do you think that $15 will really go due to the SRD's processing procedures. After that has been deducted from the licencing fee, I do not believe there will be anything left for them to pi$$ up against the wall, let alone be forwarded to the F&W people....:character0175:

Pikebreath...Am wondering if you have just moved to the prov of AB becuz the fisheries in this prov are a sorry site in comparison to other provinces.

bobalong
12-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I have the utmost respect for the seniors in our province, but I think a nonimal fee like 15.00 is fair. I would not object to a fee for kids as well, when you think about what a burger, fries and pop cost, the price of a fishing licence which you can use all year is pretty reasonable IMO.

I have always wondered how SRD "manages" a fishery when they have no idea how many users there are??

If it is a priority that your kids play hockey, take martial arts, soccer, dance, what ever they choose, you justify the cost as you think it is a worth while sport for your kid to participate in. If you do not feel that fishing is a priority or a worth while event for your kid you will probably spend the money elsewhere.

When you compare the cost of other sports in our province, even at 15.00/year it is the best deal going, and to me the best part it is a sport that you can do with your kids, rather than sitting on the sidelines just watching them participate.

Lefty-Canuck
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I have the utmost respect for the seniors in our province, but I think a nonimal fee like 15.00 is fair. I would not object to a fee for kids as well, when you think about what a burger, fries and pop cost, the price of a fishing licence which you can use all year is pretty reasonable IMO.

I have always wondered how SRD "manages" a fishery when they have no idea how many users there are??

If it is a priority that your kids play hockey, take martial arts, soccer, dance, what ever they choose, you justify the cost as you think it is a worth while sport for your kid to participate in. If you do not feel that fishing is a priority or a worth while event for your kid you will probably spend the money elsewhere.

When you compare the cost of other sports in our province, even at 15.00/year it is the best deal going, and to me the best part it is a sport that you can do with your kids, rather than sitting on the sidelines just watching them participate.

Totally agree with what you have above....if $15 is all thats is stopping you from fishing for an entire year then it was never a high priority activity for you to do to begin with....keeping track of angler numbers is an important step in any management practice.....even if you consider that "management practice" is not a common word in Alberta pertaining to fisheries and wildlife :)

LC

Dark Wing
12-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm in agreeance with the above posters, $15.00 bucks is nothing. I know my Dad wouldn't have a problem with it. Throw in a couple of extra free fishing weekends for seniors and kids that aren't die hards.

Pikebreath
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=
Pikebreath...Am wondering if you have just moved to the prov of AB becuz the fisheries in this prov are a sorry site in comparison to other provinces.[/QUOTE]

Sourdough, you would have to have lived here for 60 years to be more Albertan than me.,,,, I am born, raised and lived here all my life except to go on hunting and fishing trips to other provinces and other countries,, at last count,,, 15 different provinces and states,,, and 7 other countries.

So yes, I have seen how Alberta's fisheries compare to other jusridictions,,, and have seen the good and bad of these other jurisdictions as well as ours. I do know how limited our fisheries are, which really is the issue here. There is just not of lot fish bearing productive water in this province compared to the number of anglers.

And for what is worth, as sad as our fisheries are here in Alberta, overall they were in much sadder state 15 - 20 years ago. Any one who says different has a short and selective memory. However, that is not to say we cannot have better fisheries here, but that will require changes to how our fisheries are currently managed. Getting a better handle on the real angling effort (of which senior's licenses is part of) may be there is one of those changes.

waterninja
12-26-2012, 02:04 PM
i agree that seniors and youths should have a fishing licsence to help track how many of them are out fishing but i also think there should be no cost for those licenses. my 80 year old father joined me twice this year for a couple hours along the shore and those small memories would not have occured if he had to go pay for a win card and fishing license first. seems that there is no end to the nickle and dimeing that people have to endure to keep our greedy govt. happy.

huntsfurfish
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
i agree that seniors and youths should have a fishing licsence to help track how many of them are out fishing but i also think there should be no cost for those licenses. my 80 year old father joined me twice this year for a couple hours along the shore and those small memories would not have occured if he had to go pay for a win card and fishing license first. seems that there is no end to the nickle and dimeing that people have to endure to keep our greedy govt. happy.

Tell your 80 yr old father, I will pay for his if it is a problem. Or you could spend 25 dollars and buy dad his licence and take him out:);). The low fee proposed doesnt even cover the cost involved in the licencing, but helps.

Battleriverman
12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree . If you're an Alberta resident & over 65 you should be able to fish for free & just pay for special tags which is what i do. A friend invited me out to Sask . & i bought a 3 day license & didn't find the fishing any better than Pigeon, Gull , Buck or Swan lake. The best fishing is right under your nose- you just have to know what to use & where to fish. People that complain about seniors fishing -shouldn't. If you can't afford it -don't fish. Get out & support your local F&G association -limit your catch-do some volunteer work or something -quit complaining. It's mainly seniors doing these kinds of things that gets stuff done -at least that's the way I see it !:):):)