PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Blueticks

Dr.D
12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good Bluetick breeder in Alberta for cat hunting?

H380
12-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Pm sent

snubber
12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi there I have a male bluetick I'm looking to stud out.plus your pm box is full

Dr.D
12-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi there I have a male bluetick I'm looking to stud out.plus your pm box is full

Box is clear

elkamaholic
12-25-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a friend who has been looking into hounds for the same purpose. Just curious, can you have a dog who runs cats but can also be a family pet as well?

I have always assumed blueticks, walkers, redbones, etc. are working dogs only, keep 'em kenneled and hope their baying doesn't tick off the neighbors too much kinda dogs....am I wrong?

Erik
12-25-2012, 09:36 PM
I have a friend who has been looking into hounds for the same purpose. Just curious, can you have a dog who runs cats but can also be a family pet as well?

I have always assumed blueticks, walkers, redbones, etc. are working dogs only, keep 'em kenneled and hope their baying doesn't tick off the neighbors too much kinda dogs....am I wrong?

I have a pair of midget walkers (Beagles) that are both hunting hounds and family pets. I think the notion that hunting hounds can't be family pets is a load of HS. Apart from being a bit hard on the countertops and the risk that your dog might not come back from the next hunt, two ways to ruin you family dinner, they are just fine in the house and are well loved and respected members of the family. They still hunt hard, unlike the rest of their house-pet relatives, and they interact just fine with the children. It's all in the manner of training. Don't think it's any different for the remainder of the hound group.

P.S. They should only be baying at quarry.

sage 13
12-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Ya in my opinion your wrong in your thoughts and what erik says is pretty much right, depends how you treat them and train them. I do also think that some of the breeds can be a bit more high strung etc then others .
It can be a big comitment if all you really want is to kill a cat, in the long run you are probably better off to book a hunt with someone.

J.B.
12-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Lol I got a black and tan pup now and she would make friends with anyone...very friendly but a mind of her own...

On another note when is a good age to start hunt training? She knows a few basic commands. I was planning to start training in spring/summer when daylight allows...

elkamaholic
12-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Lol I got a black and tan pup now and she would make friends with anyone...very friendly but a mind of her own...

On another note when is a good age to start hunt training? She knows a few basic commands. I was planning to start training in spring/summer when daylight allows...

I'm pretty sure they are like all dogs, younger the better. I started (fun) training at just 7 weeks with my lab.

Thanks for the responses above guys, had a beagle when I was a kid that I hunted wabbits with...should have known the larger hounds would be no different.

grinr
12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I think your just kidding yourself if you think you're gonna take a good cat hound and have it serve double duty as a both a fierce hunter and also a docile,well behaved family house pet.
A)they are big,clumsy,rambunctious/high energy dogs that love to run every chance they get.Not very suitable as house pets imo.Forget about offleash parks,they will bolt off after something/anything and run forever,it's in their nature.
B)if you're serious about cat hunting,you're probably gonna want more than one......suit yourself if you don't mind 3,4,5 bulldozers romping around in your house,cleaning coffee tables with tails and breaking lamps....they belong in a kennel.....a BIG kennel.As mentioned in a previous post,if killing a cougar is your main goal,yer far better off to hire a cougar guide,it's a big year round commitment just to run cats for a relatively short season.
C)they WILL **** off the neighbours unless you live on a big acreage with lots of space.Someone said " they should only bay at prey"......yer dreamn.As a kid,we(my dad) had 3 different coon&cat hounds over a 12-15(?) year period,an old strain black&tan,a walker/bluetick cross,and an oversized pure Walker.....every one of them bawled and bayed whenever the mood struck them.The big ol Walker was the worst by far,despite shock collar training,he bawled at everything and anything that ran thru,flew over,or came within earshot of our house...squirrels,birds,planes flying over @ 27,000ft,the trains rumbling by 3-4x/day a mile down the road,ducks and geese quacking and honking on the marsh out back....EVERYTHING!!He NEVER STFU!! he sure was a good bobcat hound though,long legged lanky sonofahoar that he was,fast and powerful,caught and killed damn near as many coons on the ground as he treed?

Was he a fierce and powerful killer that excelled at what he was bred for....absolutely.But a house pet??Absolutely not!!None of our hounds were.They were born to run,to hunt,to bawl and bay,and that's what they did best.

Erik
12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Treeingwalkercoonhound.JPG/800px-Treeingwalkercoonhound.JPG

Oh look its a giant Beagle!

The thing that keeps me sane is that the Beagle is not tall enough to get more than a paw on the counter. Having a full sized hounds would be a never ending battle to keep your countertop from being invaded. Size is the only issue to letting these hounds indoors IMO.

My hounds do STFU when something comes near the house because I make them STFU. They do attempt to bay, but I squelch it pretty quick. And yet they hunt just fine.

I do, however, agree with the sentiment about hiring a guide if you want to do cat hunting. Hounds are full-time commitments. If you decide that your hunting interests go another way then you've still got hounds that want to hunt, and when they don't, they get bored and destructive. It's a big decision to take on that much work. The hunt is just the cherry on top of all that work.

bluetick hounder
12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
pm sent

tullfan
12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
He would run all night and cuddle with the cats in the house.
He'd bawl when he needed to or when people egged him on. He was a great member of my family and was proud to have been owned by him. Dam cancer.
Ulysess j.
Tullfan