PDA

View Full Version : New sheep hunting pack...wow

Sharp Stick
12-24-2012, 11:07 PM
New Frame and Bags from Kifaru International

Weight: 2lbs 5 ounces

Will fit all Kifaru packs and accessories

High Camp Bags

Weight: 2lbs 3 ounces for 6,500 CI bag and 2lbs for 4,500 CI bag (These are approximate sizes)

Dual Entry and fully modular

500D Cordura

Bag detaches from frame to allow for meat shelf

The frame and bags will be up on the Kifaru site in the next week or so, and final sizes and pricing will be available at that time.

http://vimeo.com/56171318#at=0

Sharp Stick
12-24-2012, 11:08 PM
More pics

Matt L.
12-25-2012, 11:03 AM
2 pounds! :scared0015: holy smokes!

J.B.
12-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Do you have one? Or are those web pics?

Ramcam
12-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Looks promising i want a new pack and was going to try either the Stone Glacier or Kuiu but now this option.The Kifaru has formed Stays which should make for a more comfortable fit.Hmmm

BigChevy
12-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't believe I could stray away from my Kuiu Icon 7000.
Tonnes of pockets for everything, quick access to main compartments, also very light weight ( I thought the box was empty when I got it) and its tough. I packed my Caribou and Dall sheep out with mine this past season without any issues and no need for rope!
Definitely one to look into for sure!

brandon97
12-25-2012, 05:06 PM
x2

Rackmastr
12-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I like the looks of it. Kifaru did come out with an ultralight pack in the past, dont think it caught on too well. This one looks interesting for sure. Kifaru does make good gear and stand behind their product so should be interesting to watch!

getasheep
12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm definitely going to watch for this one. Same as some others above I'm in the market for a new pack and was considering all options including stove glacier and Kuiu. This is just another to contemplate. I wish there was a place to go to try them all on. So much great gear out there that requires blind online purchases.

Huntnut
12-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Sweeeeet

Stinky Coyote
12-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Reaper, you are a bad influence! ;)

it does look sweet, will be neat to see what reports are like after they've been fielded for a season, i just got a timberline 2 (non-duplex) and can't wait to get it into action and happy with decision for several reasons and i would order the exact same pack again even knowing about this new bikini/bag set up, i want the integral pockets on the sides/back, want the foliage color, want what appears to be a much tougher/more durable pack than one just hung on with a few hooks on single attach points which could turn out to be weak points in time vs much more webbing/integral pockets etc.?

although with kifaru's reputation for tough/durable i wouldn't be too worried...if i worked in the industry as a guide and or wanted the pack to also be able to handle bone in quarters of elk or moose as it looks as though that bikini set up with the shelf could that sandwiching the quarter between frame and bag, but i have a pack for that work, my T2 should become my main sheep pack but also main hunt pack, there will be a freight hauler in the vehicle for when/if needed but nice to see the direction kifaru is headed, some killer options out there now!

i do love that roll top, hope to see that option standardized! although i think the standard lid will come in handier if head/horns needs attaching for the ride down so don't mind the extra ounces of my lid, again, answers to questions i'm not asking/needing but certainly answers for questions other guys might be asking!, the Timberline series is plenty light enough!

Stats on my Timberline 2 (non-duplex) if anyone curious

5 lb 4.5 oz (pack/standard lid/gun bearer only)

extras:

1.5 oz internal possibles pouch (came with pack, i took it out)
2.5 oz small pocket (i have attached this to hip belt)
3.0 oz small pocket (i prefered the small pocket, will not use)
4.5 oz grab it (i will use this full time)

so as my pack is configured with the small accessory pocket on waist belt and the grab it i'm running 5 lb 11.5 oz or a hair under 5 3/4 lbs...i'm more than happy with that

thanks for posting reaper, love seeing one of the best reputation pack makers getting all inovative and giving new options etc. the timberline gives me more of what i'm looking for but still, the bikini frame/bag is pretty awesome and will be what lots of mountain guru's are looking for!

Stinky Coyote
12-27-2012, 02:19 PM
oops, too late to edit, the 3.0 oz pocket i mentioned is medium size one not small, i bought both for the opposite side of gun bearer to see which one i wanted to run and i will prefer the small

i think if a guy adds in the equivelant pockets to the new bikini it might be too close on total weight to the timberlines (non-duplex) to call it a wash there, and...my pack is all squished into day hunt mode so hard to imagine a bone in elk/moose quarter stuffing into the wee thing but fully expanded it might fit them but you'd have to find confirmation of that elsewhere as i'm sure the data is out there if even a quick call to kifaru will get that answer, i don't hang and do fully boned anyhow and for local hunting of elk etc. i have a freighter i'd use for bone in quarters once i got back with first load of straps/loins/neck slabs etc. in the T2, then i'd go back for quarters, or throw the hauler on a buddy and fire fronts in the T2 and rear's in the hauler :) (or just use quad or truck so far to get them out, haven't had to pack any local moose/elk yet...will try and keep that tradition going lol)

fyi, l.l. bean has a freighter for 86 bucks to your door (free shipping and 10 dollar off coupon) for a pack they call the hunters carry all....looks like a smokin deal for that 'vehicle pack' for treestands/quarters...google it, reviews seem favorable and for the money its hard to go wrong if even as a treestand pack etc. but sounds like it will do quarters pretty well too, and its light too, just call them say you got a 10 buck off coupon in email but it wont synch when you click on it to buy the pack online, they will do it for you over phone, if you sign up for email newsletters all sorts of 10 dollar or 10% off coupons start coming via email...check it for a back up/buddy/vehicle 2nd pack etc.

i'll report more on the T2 after next season (and possibly more review on the ll bean carry all if it gets a chance to be used?)