PDA

View Full Version : Auger

kinwahkly
12-25-2012, 11:08 AM
If you had to choose, Jiify propane or Ion auger?

caver77
12-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Personally I'd go with the Ion if really cold weather fishing and with the propane if warmer weather cold fishing.

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 11:45 AM
my propane is awesome to about minus 15, had it out the last couple very cold days. first time I kept it in the house, but put it in the back of the truck for the 25 minute drive. got to the lake and it wouldnt fire at all, even with a warm tank put on. Yesterday I kept it in the house, then in the cab to the lake, drilled my holes for the tent, and got set up. 10 or 15 minutes later I decided to drill another hole outside, auger was on the back of the truck, and again wouldnt start. had to warm it up in the tent for quite a while. I wouldnt recommend propane if you do lots of holes and fish in between in very cold weather. performance is awesome, cold weather reliability sucks

edsonfisherman
12-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Neather, they both cost way more than I paid for my 43cc 10" gas auger. If the were affordable, then maybe. Paid $350 for mine new this year versus $500-$600 new for a propaine or electric.

kinwahkly
12-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Not comparing gas augers , Just wanted to see whist everyone's opininion between Propane And Electric

edsonfisherman
12-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Not comparing gas augers , Just wanted to see whist everyone's opininion between Propane And Electric
I just don't like the price of the units, but if I had to choose I would go with propain Jiffy, seems like a better way to go in cold weather than a electric that could be effected if it got really cold.

huntsfurfish
12-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Bought the Ion a week ago(still have not had it out). Bought 2nd battery for it as well. Hope to get out in near future. Will let you all know how it goes.:)

Still have a newish(tecumseh) jiffy 30 10" as back up.

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Bought the Ion a week ago(still have not had it out). Bought 2nd battery for it as well. Hope to get out in near future. Will let you all know how it goes.:)

I looked at the ION and the price of the batteries. can buy a whole lot of 1 pound propane tanks for the cost . then again you likely wont have to keep your auger warm between holes either.

huntsfurfish
12-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Cost about $207.00 for the spare battery(didnt look around for prices) including shipping, thats alot of propane. Very pricey. But should be able to drill holes all day. Partner and I drill lots of holes. Looking forward to trying it out.

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 10:19 PM
probably 12 years worth of propane for me, and I tend to ice fish a lot :sHa_shakeshout: but if it runs in the extreme cold should be worth it. plus 2 batteries should last as long too

pelada trochu
12-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Did u get spare for drilling extra holes or backup parts. Cause batteries have a shelf life and i expect better to pick one up in year two or three

Richard B.
12-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I am heading off to the the Fishin' holes sale this morning to make that very decision. I am going to buy the Ion and i will let you know how it works over the season but i drill less than 20 holes per day.

huntsfurfish
12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Did u get spare for drilling extra holes or backup parts. Cause batteries have a shelf life and i expect better to pick one up in year two or three

Partner and I can do 60+ holes in a day looking for perch/walleye or exploring. So a second battery seems like a good idea. Lith ion batteries should be good for more than a couple of years.