PDA

View Full Version : delete

skidderman
12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Candle Lake, SK this past week. Guy drives out with half ton and the front end falls through. Calls a rescue truck. Takes 4 hrs to get truck out. On the way back the rescue truck falls through. Is hung up only by the front & rear bumper. Guys have hard time getting out as when they opened their doors it was open water beside the truck. They let it feeze over night & skidded it out next day. Damage to be determined. One of the guys was so scared he will never drive on the ice again. These guys live at Candle Lake & this isn't their 1st rodeo. Lots of ice but also lots of pressure ridges. AO people please be careful. This could have turned out very bad.

pelada trochu
12-25-2012, 02:35 PM
This happened to me years ago in march. I was maybe 17. Top soft layer along shore with snow pack. Water must have seeped from in the trees. Truck dropped down into the rotten surface layer and sat on the frame. We were 15 yards from shore but 15' of water. We came back that night as she froze up some more put planks under the wheels and backed away from the deeper snow area onto hard ice. We knew nothing about ice but saw lots of trucks on the lake so figured it was all good.

Always assume the worst and then plan for it.

ice
12-25-2012, 05:48 PM
You should never trust any ice at any time,
You should always have a plan b when venturing out,
I know of a guy that years back was driving on utikuma and was crossing over an ice heave, the front end dropped, and he cracked his engine block. this was in mid jan close to 2 ft of ice,
Sad really, truck wasn't even 3 years old, And completely shot

skidderman
12-25-2012, 09:52 PM
If I continue to ice fish I have to think seriously about a snowmobile or an argo. I've never been comfortable driving my truck on ice & first hand stories like this tell me it just isn't worth it. Bad enough getting caught in slush with a ski doo.

Guitarplayingfish
12-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't drive on the ice... Could be 4 feet thick and I would prefer to walk, not worth the risk.

fish gunner
12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I try to visit the lakes I ice fish at ice up , sylvan , gull , burnstick and a few others. Any bad spots stick out like a sore thumb. Every year's ice formation changes a little what with winds and snow depth .check first your self if at all unsure. Be responsible for your own safety that way if things go sideways , no one to blame .be safe check first.

npauls
12-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't drive on the ice... Could be 4 feet thick and I would prefer to walk, not worth the risk.

That is my thinking to.

I drove the Mazda on the ice one and ended up getting stuck on our way out at the end of the day due to a bad snowstorm and had to drive down the whole lake on the ice to get off and back to the road.

I don't even bother thinking about driving on anymore. My gear is set up so it is pretty much read to go right out of the truck and is easy to walk and tow.

Cal
12-26-2012, 06:36 AM
That is my thinking to.

I drove the Mazda on the ice one and ended up getting stuck on our way out at the end of the day due to a bad snowstorm and had to drive down the whole lake on the ice to get off and back to the road.

I don't even bother thinking about driving on anymore. My gear is set up so it is pretty much read to go right out of the truck and is easy to walk and tow.

Just gotta let everyone else find the bad spots for you, I dont drive out untill the first rash of break throughs have subsided and at that point I carefully follow the well defined paths. Some lakes can be treacherous all year long so untill you know how much caution use this is a good rule of thumb for driving on the ice.