PDA

View Full Version : Spruce coulee

brobinson
12-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Heard a rumour about there being walleye in there still. Was wondering if anybody else knows more about this then I do?

lippy
12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Heard a rumour about there being walleye in there still. Was wondering if anybody else knows more about this then I do?

I read a thread a while back on this subject. They test netted Spruce and did get some Walleye in the nets they put in..any left in there will be all a good eating size:)!

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 07:05 PM
too bad the regs say you cant keep them. I know a certain pond full of perch you cant keep either :angry3:

brobinson
12-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't understand that. They arnt supposed to be there and they want them gone but we can't keep them? I think I remember that thread. They netted a couple 4+ pound Brookies too I believe.

lone wolf
12-25-2012, 07:18 PM
too bad the regs say you cant keep them. I know a certain pond full of perch you cant keep either :angry3:

I don't understand that. They arnt supposed to be there and they want them gone but we can't keep them? I think I remember that thread. They netted a couple 4+ pound Brookies too I believe.

I thought that Spruce was an exception, and I understood (like the OP) that they were introduced by mistake and efforts were being made to eradicate them. I think that (at least in the past) there were signs posted at the launch/campground access point stating what the (walleye) limits were.

lippy
12-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Wayne! I didn't realize they had made changes to the regulations..never did catch a wally out of there but had seen some caught..used to be able to take them home! They killed a lot of good sized Brookies..so I hear... test netting the lake for Walleye this year.

lippy
12-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I thought that Spruce was an exception, and I understood (like the OP) that they were introduced by mistake and efforts were being made to eradicate them. I think that (at least in the past) there were signs posted at the launch/campground access point stating what the (walleye) limits were.

I just looked up the regs when Wayne pointed it out its on page 52.Trout limit 5 all other game species 0.

npauls
12-25-2012, 07:32 PM
i am pretty sure spruce is an exception to the rules because they are trying to correct a stocking mistake.

brobinson
12-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I guess I'll head out and see if there's anything posted there. And maybe give F&W a call

WayneChristie
12-25-2012, 09:58 PM
i am pretty sure spruce is an exception to the rules because they are trying to correct a stocking mistake.

.Trout limit 5 all other game species 0.
in black and white, wasnt a stocking mistake, it was a bucket brigade mistake

npauls
12-25-2012, 10:22 PM
.Trout limit 5 all other game species 0.
in black and white, wasnt a stocking mistake, it was a bucket brigade mistake

I was there 2 summers ago and was talking to a C.O. there and asked about the walleye population in there.

He said they still exist and if I catch any I should keep them to try and get as many as possible out of there. He also mentioned it was because of some sort of stocking mistake.

pikergolf
12-26-2012, 12:30 AM
This info in the printed regs is incorrect. Sometimes between the regs being printed and the summer the online regs were changed. Page 51 of the online reg. states a 3 walleye limit with no size restrictions. If you go the deepest water is off the first point by the dam, go get em!!

WayneChristie
12-26-2012, 05:59 AM
This info in the printed regs is incorrect. Sometimes between the regs being printed and the summer the online regs were changed. Page 51 of the online reg. states a 3 walleye limit with no size restrictions. If you go the deepest water is off the first point by the dam, go get em!!

good info, no wonder people get confused, with 2 different regs out for the same lake. if I lived closer Id help with walleye control, but I have bigger ones closer to home :bad_boys_20:

brobinson
12-26-2012, 07:58 AM

sounds great! thanks for the info! ill deffinately try to thin em out!