PDA

View Full Version : Bow and Treestand

coyotekiller
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I am looking to buy a new bow and tree stand in the next couple months. Any suggestions on which one bow or treestand i should get? i have been looking at the bowtech insanity and the bow tech destroyer 340. I have also been looking at some climbing treestands and ladder tree stands but not sure which one to get. Thanks in advance for your input :)

MtnGiant
12-26-2012, 01:48 PM
As with anything....it's a matter of personal choice and money.
I'm a HOYT man and use a Gorilla self climber. I'm a big fan of self climbers....you can travel with ease.
Ladders are more for permanent locations.
I will add this....I have seen hi-end bows in the pawn shops for very cheap, including Hoyt. Obviously there is a buyer beware element.
I started on a cheap bow and practiced heavy until I reached the accuracy to shoot a better quality. Practice and accuracy are very important for a cleaner kill.
Go to the archery range and I'm sure you will be able to try several...then make a decision.... if ur close to one.
Sorry if I misinterpreted ur question.
Maybe u r just looking for a tech answer and ur not a beginner.

Sakoman
12-26-2012, 01:56 PM
All bow companies make good bows, go to an Archery shop and try a few to see what you like. If you are near or in Calgary, go to Jim Bows they will help you out and point you in the right direction.
As for tree stands depends on what you want it for. You want to be very mobil and switch locations lots, get a light climber. Want to just set it up and hunt I prefer a hang on stand over a ladder.

coyotekiller
12-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I think I will be going for a climber, next year will be my first year bow hunting, I'm going to get lots of pratice in im sure

snortwheez
12-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Stay away from the Destroyer!
This is what happened to a friends afew days ago after about a dz shots with it.
This is the 3'rd i've heard about from people I know and they said it has been an on going problem with the Destroyer.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/snortwheez/bow.jpg

xxclaro
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I think I will be going for a climber, next year will be my first year bow hunting, I'm going to get lots of pratice in im sure

Word of caution here: I don`t know where you hunt,but a climber is more limited in what type of tree you can use. I have a climber,hang-ons and ladder,but in my area the climber get very little use. Yoj need a nice straight tree of decent diameter,without too many branches(you`ll have to trim any that get in the way).

It is a very comfotable stand to use,once you get it set up,by far the most comfy of the bunch.It works great up north in a nice spruce or straight poplar,but around home,I find it`s rare to find a tree that will work with the climber.

The ladder is most versatile as to which tree`s you can put it on. Basically if the tree is strong enough to be stable,it`ll work. It`s a bit akward to transport ans set up,but I know I can almost always find a place to put it.However,it is also the most obvious and noticeable,so that`s a mark against it too.

The hang on is somewhere in between. As long as I can find a straight tree of decent diameter,I can put it up. I use climbing sticks,so that`s one more thing to carry but it`s not any heavier and decidedly less awkward than the ladder. It`s also the easiest to hide,as I don`t need to trim all teh lower branches away and can actually stick it right in among the branches if I want. Sizes vary,bigger being more comfortable but also heavier. All in all, I find they all ahve their place,but it depends on what type of area your in. If I was hunting only close to home,I`d be using a ladder stand probably 80% of the time,the others being a hang-on. If I have my choice of what to sit in all day.for sure the climber. Mine is a Summit Viper,but lots of good ones out there.

For bows, the previous advice to shoot and test lots is solid. You don`t have to buy the most expensive bow out there to get a good bow. Cabela`s had some on sale today for almost 1/2 price,Bear,Pse and others. I bought my first one new,and my second one used. Choose the one that feels best,and make sure you have a pro set you up. Getting your draw length right is critical to good shooting,so it's worth having someone who knows there stuff helping. Don't get too hung up on speed either.Nothing wrong with speed,but everything comes at a price,and sometimes that price is shootability,especially for a beginner who doeswn't have perfect form.

Good luck,and have fun! You may end up like me and find yourself carrying your bow even after rifle season opens,it's that much fun.

MtnGiant
12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=xxclaro;1769024]Word of caution here: I don`t know where you hunt,but a climber is more limited in what type of tree you can use. I have a climber,hang-ons and ladder,but in my area the climber get very little use. Yoj need a nice straight tree of decent diameter,without too many branches(you`ll have to trim any that get in the way).

It is a very comfotable stand to use,once you get it set up,by far the most comfy of the bunch.It works great up north in a nice spruce or straight poplar,but around home,I find it`s rare to find a tree that will work with the climber.

The ladder is most versatile as to which tree`s you can put it on. Basically if the tree is strong enough to be stable,it`ll work. It`s a bit akward to transport ans set up,but I know I can almost always find a place to put it.However,it is also the most obvious and noticeable,so that`s a mark against it too.

The hang on is somewhere in between. As long as I can find a straight tree of decent diameter,I can put it up. I use climbing sticks,so that`s one more thing to carry but it`s not any heavier and decidedly less awkward than the ladder. It`s also the easiest to hide,as I don`t need to trim all teh lower branches away and can actually stick it right in among the branches if I want. Sizes vary,bigger being more comfortable but also heavier. All in all, I find they all ahve their place,but it depends on what type of area your in. If I was hunting only close to home,I`d be using a ladder stand probably 80% of the time,the others being a hang-on. If I have my choice of what to sit in all day.for sure the climber. Mine is a Summit Viper,but lots of good ones out there.

For bows, the previous advice to shoot and test lots is solid. You don`t have to buy the most expensive bow out there to get a good bow. Cabela`s had some on sale today for almost 1/2 price,Bear,Pse and others. I bought my first one new,and my second one used. Choose the one that feels best,and make sure you have a pro set you up. Getting your draw length right is critical to good shooting,so it's worth having someone who knows there stuff helping. Don't get too hung up on speed either.Nothing wrong with speed,but everything comes at a price,and sometimes that price is shootability,especially for a beginner who doeswn't have perfect form.

Good luck,and have fun! You may end up like me and find yourself carrying your bow even after rifle season opens,it's that much fun.[/QUOTE

I carry a little fold out saw to get rid of little branches...but yes it can be difficult to find the right tree at times.
And I also carry my bow when camping in the Summer because it's fun and practice is good. Sometimes I'll set up the treestand and get someone below to move the shot blocker to different distances to keep practiced in distances.
It's all fun and it's a turn on to shoot a compound bow.
Good luck

MtnGiant
12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry I screwed up on the quote hi-lite again...I'm computer challenged hahaha

J.B.
12-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Hey coyote I have a hoyt element for sale...pm me if your interested...I personally like hoyt bows I want to get another but bows are like trucks, some guys will only buy one brand and some guys try every bow out there...

Quinn42
12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
I bought a Summit Viper climber this year after trying my friends last year. Pricey but awesome. Comfortable, it nests together for packing and I can get my day pack in the middle of it so its a one trip deal. I added the foot rest as an option. The thing thats nice is you can rotate around the tree as you climb if once you get higher up the original view is not what you expected or your shooting stance doesn't feel right for your lane. Anyway, I'm sold on them, got a bull moose at 2 yds and had a whitetail at 6 that I let walk cause he wasn't what I wanted. He spent 45 min around me, knew I was there but wasn't spooked. I hunt the foothills and mountain zones around calgary and never had a problem picking a tree.

Lefty-Canuck
01-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Stay away from the Destroyer!
This is what happened to a friends afew days ago after about a dz shots with it.
This is the 3'rd i've heard about from people I know and they said it has been an on going problem with the Destroyer.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/snortwheez/bow.jpg

That's crazy... I wonder if that was the result of a dry fire?

LC