PDA

View Full Version : ice shelters ...Clam bigfoot or Eskimo fatfish

Hard Water
12-27-2012, 10:54 AM
hey .... was interested in some opinions on these two tents , reviews online state that the eskimo is not built tough enough , corners ripping out , poles actually breaking , and the insulation on thermal models is not warm at all ......
and the clam reviews are much better , warmer , stronger poles blah blah blah ...
But like i said , thats whats online , and who knows WHO wrote these reviews , so asking for some advice from people who actually know (hopefully). right on keep yer stick on the ice .:sHa_sarcasticlol:

dragon
12-27-2012, 11:06 AM
use the fat fish... only complaint is that it is not black so it does not radiate as much heat. No problems with quality.

Caper1984
12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I have the 7-9 man eskimo fatfish and absolutely love it. That being said after one use two small tears magically appeared in the side right below where the poles meet to form the pop out....and when trying to free the skirt when it froze to the ice it ripped a two or three inch tear with just gentle pulling. Still love the tent and I also believe the same little mishaps could happen with any brand of tent

codywf
12-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I have the Bigfoot and love it, they are 3sq ft bigger and have had no issues at all, bought it because the same reviews you read and then I looked at it in person, plus it's insulated.

wmw9
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
I have the 2 man Clam tent and love it. This is my third season with it and I haven't had any problems at all and fish most weekends. I use a little buddy heater and have always been very warm, mine isn't the thermal model.

I think that the Clam is the cheapest option you will find. I only bought it because I liked the fact that the seats were more comfortable and swivelled. I would go with the Clam tent again...my buddy bought an Eskimo around the same time and his ripped.

Jbone
12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I'll bet the insulated ones would be the way to go, I've got a 6 man made by woods and it's held up well to my abuse. Really taking a beating this year, may have to give it a little tlc.
Any one own one of the bigger insulated ones and find it easier to heat?

kinwahkly
12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Ive got the fatfish and have no complaints.

Elkaholic523
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I have an Eskimo ripped second time out my second and last ill own next one I buy will not b a tent it will b the flip over model way easier to fish with don't always have to move all your stuff when your hole hopping

Fish Hooked
12-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I have the fatfish 949 love it first pop-up tent i have owned and have no complainets.

calgarygringo
12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Season 2 for my Fatfish and out almost every week end and some in the southern hurricanes. Event yesterday not windy but awfully cold outside and with my big buddy heater blasting we were in hoodies and toasty inside with windchill minus 30 outside.

jts1
12-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Fatfish is the way to go. Was fishing next to a Bigfoot in my Fatfish 949 and correct me if I am wrong but it sure looked like there would be no way I could stand up striaght in that thing.

C.Noble
12-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I got the clam six pack 1660 not long ago. Only made one trip with it so far so can't say anything about long term durability yet. But it's crazy roomy inside. At 96 square feet I had me, my 3 kids and vettedreamers 2 kids and one kids boyfriend with a lot of room left. I would go with a clam again for sure

azn_rice_man
12-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Just sold my Clam Base Camp after one season and have no complaints about it. Served me well, but I wanted to upgrade to an insulated one, as I got a heater and didn't want to deal with the condensation with it on. Only insulated version I found was the Fatfish 949i, so I picked it up on sale at TFH. I've been in the regular Fatfish 949 before and thought it was great, so it can only go up from there! Can't wait to test it out this weekend!

EDIT: Actually, I do have one complain about the Clam product... Their anchors suck!!! Not sharp at all and it bent very easily. If you're looking to get the Clam shelters, consider an upgrade to the Eskimo anchors that are much better quality.

mosbos
12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Second season with my 949 Fatfish and no issues.Mine is uninsulated and with a portable buddy we were fine in -26 plus on boxing day.